Subject: RE: draft-kurtis-multihoming-longprefix comments

From: "Tony Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:48:10 -0800

|   > Another option, again, is to work with people like Ran who 
|   > are trying to add such a namespace.
|   
|   There are also as set of us who are trying to define an intermediate
|   approach that scales within the constraints of the current routing
|   technology while we wait for the longer term additional namespace.

The current routing technology does NOT scale properly.  There is not
going to be any intermeidate approach based on the current technology
that will scale.

Tony

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 22:00:37 +0100 (CET)

> going to be any intermeidate approach based on the current technology

Now I have to go and disagree with you there.

With a reasonable level of aggregation current technology will scale
just fine.

Aggregation is simply a means to divide the routing information over the
routers so that a single router doesn't have to hold all possible
routes. Today, if routers are owned by the same owner, they hold the
same routing information. Maybe it's time we try aggregating based on
something else than router ownership.