Subject: [Forces-protocol] PL/TML Interface::topic 1

From: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:13:25 -0700

Jamal, Weiming,

Just trying to summarize some of the requirements or services for TML,
PL based on our discussions...

TML Requirements/Services...

1. Reliability acc to Reqs (no data loss, data corruption
2. Security
3. Congestion Control
4. Uni/multi/broadcast addressing/delivery
5. Connection or Association State maintainance(helps with HA)

Things that belong to PL...

1. PL level reliability using Acks/Responses
2. Timeliness, again using Acks
3. Batching
4. transactional operations (2pc etc)
5. Capability exchange (FE, LFB Caps) (BTW, not sure what Jamal means by
this in context with TML?)
6. HA decisions

Hope this is reasonably captures all the discussions. I was not sure
about what you mean by FEM/CEM interface so I didn't mention that in
this list.

regards
Hormuzd

_______________________________________________
Forces-protocol mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/forces-protocol

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Apr 2004 15:59:01 -0400

wow, look at all those emails. 
I am going to try and catchup in maybe about 3-4 emails.
This is a good one to start with. 

> PL based on our discussions...

Hormuzd, i would recommend to put more maet if you compile things like
this. Sending out bullet forms tends to reignite deiscussions already
gone by (as i am noticing in some eamils from Ram).

> 1. Reliability acc to Reqs (no data loss, data corruption

whats acc?

> 3. Congestion Control

There may be value in the TML informing the PL about congestion events
in the transport layer. This is not unlike ECN signals received
from IP which get upwards propagated. I would like (not sure of the
value) to suggest that the signaling should also be available from PL to
TML; if the PL is congested, it could be probably easily detected if it
is not pulling packets fast enough.

Also one thing we didnt have in this list is prioritization.
This is related to congestion. Example: under congestion, 
the TML may decide to drop lower priority packets from the PL.
Likewise if the PL is congested, the TML may decide to drop low prio
packets destined to it.

> this in context with TML?)

Capability also belongs to the TML layer. Example is the FE capability.

> 6. HA decisions

So the way i see it is:

1)Items that are the responsibility of the TML terminate at the TML.
Example i dont see any decryption/encryption/authentication being done
by the PL. 
OTOH, There may be information that needs to be propagated to the PL
but i think we are saying that maybe implementation specific, no?
Probably thet TML author will say "to get congestion notification
you need to register for callback x".

2)Items/messages that are responsibility of PL get sent to the PL
probably after some massaging by the PL (example authentication).

> about what you mean by FEM/CEM interface so I didn't mention that in

Let me move that to a different email, this is already overcrowded.

cheers,
jamal