Subject: [netext] Review of ID: draft-ietf-netext-access-network-option-05.txt

From: Hidetoshi Yokota <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:13:31 +0900

Hi Sri,

The latest version is well written, but I have just one comment on
Network-Identifier Sub-Option. According to the discussion with Raj, the
network name should not be only WLAN SSID, but also PLMN ID for example.
So, the text in Section 3.1.1 should be modified as follows:

In Section 3.1.1:

--- Current text ----
   SSID:  SSID of the access network to which the mobile node is
      attached.  The string is carried in UTF-8 representation.
--- Proposed text ---
   Network Name: The name of the access network to which the mobile
      node is attached. The string is carried in UTF-8 representation.
---------------------

As an example of the Network Name, it is a good idea to include the PLMN
ID, which is composed of MCC and MNC, in addition to the SSID of WLAN.

If I can add one more thing, it would be more convenient to add the
network name type (NType) before the Network Name strings as follows:

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   | ANI Type=1    |  ANI Length   | NType |      Network Name     ~
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

NType: SSID (0), PLMN ID (1), ...

[As a side note, 3GPP2 has also defined the Access Network Identifier
(ANID)]

This is just a suggestion and if it looks too much complex, you can
ignore it.

Regards,
-- 
Hidetoshi

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:04:54 -0800

Hi Yokota-san,

Thanks again for the review. Please see inline.

> So, the text in Section 3.1.1 should be modified as follows:

I agree, I was thinking about this as well. With the use of this sub-type,
we should be able to generalize the network-name and carry SSID, or PLMID
..etc I will make the changes. Thanks for the suggestion.

>       node is attached. The string is carried in UTF-8 representation.

Sure

> network name type (NType) before the Network Name strings as follows:

This looks good. Thanks. I will make the changes.

> This is just a suggestion and if it looks too much complex, you can

No, this is much better.

Thanks
Sri

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:46:49 -0800

Hi Yokota-san:

One comment below. 

>> network name type (NType) before the Network Name strings as follows:

I remembered now why we did not add this Ntype. Given the Access Technology
Type option is mandatory option, we thought the Ntype will just be specific
to the ATT and the network name can be just SSID, or PLMNId based on that.
If there is a possibility to have multiple network-name types under a given
ATT, we can eliminate this option. So, we can add this Sub-type, or just
state the network-name can be SSID, when the ATT is 802.11, or PLMIND for
other other UMTS/LTE access.

Regards
Sri

---

From: Hidetoshi Yokota <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:25:52 +0900

Hi Sri,

(2012/02/06 13:46), Sri Gundavelli wrote:
> Hi Yokota-san:
> 
> One comment below.
> 
> 
> On 2/5/12 8:04 PM, "Sri Gundavelli"<[email-masked]>  wrote:
> 
>>
>>
>>

I see. Until there arises a requirement that there could be multiple
network names for one access type, we can live with a combination of the
ATT option and ANI option without NType.

Thanks for your clarification,
-- 
Hidetoshi

---

From: jouni korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 10:48:06 +0200

Hidetoshi-san,

> So, the text in Section 3.1.1 should be modified as follows:

Actually.. Section 3.1.3 has Operator-Identifier and there we got
realm of the operator. It is common practice to express MNC & MCC
codes as "NAI realms". This was my thinking when we added realm there.
There is a bit of semantical overlap but MNC & MCC codes also
identify the operator and the network, at least in this case.

So I am not too sure we need to tweak the Section 3.1.1 
Network-Identifier any further. I rather keep it as it was now
and at most change the option name to something more closer to
SSID.

- Jouni

> _______________________________________________
> netext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netext

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 07:23:19 -0800

Hi Jouni:

Between the two information elements, I saw the difference as, Network
Identifier is for carrying the name of the network that is being hosted. The
network elements are aware of this network-name (Ex: SSID). Whereas,
Operator-Id is more a business entity, which is not visible to any of the
network nodes (Ex: Cisco, ATT).

Now, if I take WLAN as an example, if Ex: Operator AT&T is hosting SSID,
"ATT-Internet", the Network-name is "ATT-Internet", where as the Operator-Id
is the SMI Enterprise Id for AT&T. Mapping the same logic for 3GPP, I assume
the PLMNID is exposed to the network elements and is a network-name, where
the operator id is of the 3GPP operator Id. If the operator id is embedded
in the network-name, its just an approach, and the same can be true for WLAN
access as well. 

So, should the PLMNID be in the network-name option ?

Regards
Sri

---

From: jouni korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:39:44 +0200

Hidetoshi-san,

A question regarding the 3GPP2 ANID. Is it using the same values
as 3GPP 24302 ANID?

- Jouni

---

From: Hidetoshi Yokota <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 23:39:51 +0900

Hi Jouni,

> A question regarding the 3GPP2 ANID. Is it using the same values

No, it's different. 24302's ANID is like "HRPD" or "WIMAX", but 3GPP2's
ANID is composed of the System ID (SID), Network ID (NID), and Packet
Zone ID (PZID). I think the latest spec is below:

3GPP2 TSG-A, "Interoperability Specification (IOS) for High Rate Packet
Data (HRPD) Radio Access Network Interfaces with Session Control in the
Access Network", A.S0008-A v3.0, October 2008.

Regards,
-- 
Hidetoshi