Subject: Re: AgentX, SMUX, and SNMPv3

From: Bob Natale <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:58:07 -0400

At 9/24/2000:05:03 AM, Nurit Sprecher wrote:

Hi Murit,

>1. Can someone please explain me the elationship between
>the AgentX protocol and the SMUX protocol ?

The AgentX protocol (RFC2741) and MIB (RFC2742) represent the
IETF standards-track approach to interoperable extensible SNMP
agent environments.  You can access these documents, additional
information sources, and learn how to subscribe to the AgentX
WG e-mail discussion list at:

   http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/agentx-charter.html

SMUX (as with DPI) was an earlier attempt at such an SNMP
extensible agent protocol that, for a variety of reasons,
did not progress toward full IETF standardization.  Likewise,
there were/are a number of vendor-proprietary extensible
SNMP agent methodologies that have achieved some degree,
more or less, of marketplace deployment.  The current hope
is that AgentX will prove to be sufficiently robust and
useful to foster wider standardization in this area.

>2. Can you please recommend me a ool/implementation for
>developing a SNMPV3 agent that support the gentX protocol ?

As the AgentX WG chair, I certainly could not recommend
any...however, you can find links to known possibilities
in the "Implementations" section at the AgentX web site:

   http://www.scguild.com/agentx/

>Thanks in advance, Nurit. 

You are welcome...let me know if the above info is
insufficient at this time...my recommendation is that
further discussion, if any, on this thread be continued
on the AgentX mailing list, [email-masked].

Cordially,

BobN
------------ ISO 9001 Registered Quality Supplier -----------
Bob Natale         | ACE*COMM              | 301-721-3000 [v]
Dir, Net Mgmt Prod | 704 Quince Orchard Rd | 301-721-3001 [f]
[email-masked]| Gaithersburg MD 20878 | www.acecomm.com
------------- Free downloads at www.winsnmp.com -------------