Subject: Re: Fwd: Regarding Agentx

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Sep 2000 09:20:48 -0700

>>>>> On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:46:43 -0400 (EDT), Matt White <[email-masked]> said:

Matt> *  Are you building subagents from scratch or are you instrumenting
Matt> already existing code?  CMU was built with instrumentation of
Matt> already existing code in mind.  UCD also works for this purpose,
Matt> but Wes keeps saying that he thinks the CMU package might be
Matt> better for that and so I'm starting to believe him.

Heh.  I don't remember saying quite that...

I think I was trying to imply that the CMU code is more of an AgentX
API which differs from the UCD code which allows the mib-code-writer
to not have to know if their code will be used in the SNMP agent
directly or in the agentx subagent.  It's protocol independent, which
can make things easier in some ways as the AgentX (or SNMP) magic is
taken care of for you mostly.

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Distributed Computing Analysis and Support
University of California at Davis