Subject: [Hipsec] Privacy discuss over on the IDEAS list...

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 15:27:00 -0400

First, it seems I had problems with my HIP list folder and have not seen 
any messages since around May.  There here, and I will read them...

Now.  Please read:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ideas/GbyBs812xGVAN9LFRbpAp3lUuys

And some follow up discussions.  Basically IDEAS is targeting providing 
some functions like discovery and reverse mapping that we do not 
directly provide in HIP and in a trusted manner.  The workgroup 
chartering was blocked by privacy concerns that would never have let HIP 
complete IMHO.  Quite blown out of proportion, but it did reveal some 
valid privacy work needed.

We do not provide enough privacy in HIP.  The HIs are too exposed. The 
HITs are as long lived as the HIs.  The SPIs allow Eve to link all the 
communication pieces together.

I want to start a dialog here on what can be done to improve HIP 
privacy.  I have my ideas (and some of the HI protection would take 
advantage of IDEAS).  And will be putting together a drafty draft for 
the 30th deadline.

Bob