Subject: [Idnet] Call for interest in an Advanced Workshop on Machine Learning For Network Security

From: Albert Ali Salah <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 17:17:18 +0300

Hi,
We are planning to organize a NATO Science for Peace and Security
(SPS) Programme Advanced Workshop that brings together machine
learning and network security experts to advance the state of the art
in this area.

Typically, network intrusion detection systems (IDS) and intrusion
prevention systems (IPS) work by pattern matching, and maintain
signatures of different attack types in a centralized and widely used
database. Such databases are regularly updated with new attack
patterns, as soon as they are known. There are several open source
platforms that can handle large volumes of network traffic, and became
industry standards. However, attackers constantly adapt their
approaches. These platforms need to be extended or supplemented with
flexible, adaptive machine learning solutions.

The planned topics are for the workshop are:
-Fast machine learning approaches for network anomaly detection
-Deep learning systems for detection of network attacks
-Approaches for integrating CRM and network data for network security
-Algorithms for attack type classification
-DDOS attacks generated by IoT devices
-Machine learning for security on software defined networking and NFV
-Data and analytics driven network security

We are collecting expressions of interest at the moment, either to be
a speaker or a participant in such an event. The workshop will be
followed by focused sessions to discuss joint project collaborations
for the NATO SPS program. We are hoping to make some travel funding
available for the participants. If you are interested in machine
learning and network security, please contact A.A. Salah
([email-masked], Bogazici University) or S. Kuran
([email-masked], Abdullah Gul University) until 25 May, 2017.
We will determine the time & location of the workshop based on the
interest.

-- 
Dr. Albert Ali Salah
Bogazici University, Computer Engineering Dept.
34342 Bebek  - Istanbul, Turkey
Phone: +90 212 359 (7774)
http://www.cmpe.boun.edu.tr/~salah/
Bogazici University, Cognitive Science MA Program
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr