Subject: Protocol Action: Definitions of Managed Objects for the Fabric Element in Fibre Channel Standard to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 07:34:04 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Definitions of Managed
Objects for the Fabric Element in Fibre Channel Standard'
<draft-ietf-ipfc-fabric-element-mib-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the IP Over Fibre Channel Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This memo defines an extension to the Management Information Base
(MIB) for use with network management protocols in TCP/IP-based
internets.  In particular, it defines the objects for managing the
operations of the Fabric Element portion of the Fibre Channel
Standards.

Working Group Summary

There was consensus in the working group to advance the document.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Juergen Schoenwaelder and
Erik Nordmark.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please add the following text to the Security Considerations Section:

   SNMPv1 by itself is not a secure environment.  Even if the network
   itself is secure (for example by using IPSec), even then, there is no
   control as to who on the secure network is allowed to access and
   GET/SET (read/change/create/delete) the objects in this MIB.

   It is recommended that the implementers consider the security
   features as provided by the SNMPv3 framework.  Specifically, the use
   of the User-based Security Model RFC 2574 [12] and the View-based
   Access Control Model RFC 2575 [15] is recommended.

   It is then a customer/user responsibility to ensure that the SNMP
   entity giving access to an instance of this MIB, is properly
   configured to give access to the objects only to those principals
   (users) that have legitimate rights to indeed GET or SET
   (change/delete) them.