Subject: [lisp] MS/MR message specs

From: Uma Devi Bandaru <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 08:35:25 -0700

Hi,

I am piqued by LISP, and am getting started on setting up an open-source 
implementation of an MS/MR node. Java is what I am targetting, with a 
single database (read, not distributed. Atleast not yet!)

I've gone thru the MS/MR IETF docs, and dont see a spec of sorts which 
illustrates the various messages that a third-party (non-cisco, or 
open-source) MS/MR implementation needs to support for it to interact 
with existing LISP implementations. Is this something that will be 
released down the line, or am I expected to sort this out on my own? If 
I am expected to sort this out on my own, how will I ensure that my 
MS/MR does indeed work well with existing (mostly, Cisco) 
implementations of xTRs? We could both be speaking greek-n-latin :-(

Existing open-source implementations of LISP (freeBSD and Linux) seem to 
circumvent this problem by providing the necessary plumbing for these 
mapping tables, without getting into the messaging part (or, maybe I 
have mis-understood the implementations). Can someone in the know please 
clarify?

-- 
Thanks,
Uma Bandaru

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:26:59 -0400 (EDT)

> From: John Zwiebel <[email-masked]>

    > I find having all the packet formats in one document very helpful
    > since I find myself often looking at TCPdumps.

I hear you. Still, sooner or later (if LISP is a success), we're almost
certainly going to wind up with packet formats spread across more documents
(e.g. if/when we have to define a replacement mapping system). And it would
be easy to cons up a 'packet format reference card'. To me, making the
documentation maximally readable for people coming into LISP would seem more
important.

	Noel