Subject: Re: [lisp] MS/MR message specs

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 11:53:42 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Uma Devi Bandaru <[email-masked]>

    > an open-source implementation of an MS/MR node.
    > ...
    > I've gone thru the MS/MR IETF docs, and dont see a spec of sorts which
    > illustrates the various messages that a ... MS/MR implementation needs
    > to support for it to interact with existing LISP implementations. 

An MR has two interfaces: on one side to ITRs, and on the other side to the
distributed mapping system(s). At the moment there is only one mapping system
fully-designed/in-use, which is the ALT. An MS similarly has two interfaces:
on one side to the mapping system(s), and on the other to ETRs.

The interfaces to the ITRs and ETRs are in some sense the 'external' MR/MS
interfaces, whereas those to the mapping system(s) are 'internal' interfaces.

Which of these four interfaces are you having trouble finding information on?

    > Is this something that will be released down the line

As far as I know, all 4 interfaces are specified: the 'external' ones in the
MS/MR spec, and the ALT one in the ALT document. (Sorry, too lazy to look up
the exact names... should be easy to find.)

	Noel

---

From: Uma Devi Bandaru <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 09:06:24 -0700

Dear Noel,

Thanks for the prompt response. Happy to note that the list is active 
and accommodating (for beginners like me).

 From your description below, I am interested in these "external" 
interfaces. And yes, I've gone thru the IETF drafts on this topic and 
they seem to provide a general overview of the messages. I dont see them 
list out the exact details of these messages (formats, structures etc.) 
for these request/response pairs.

Thanks,
Uma Devi Bandaru

On 5/12/2011 8:53 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      >  From: Uma Devi Bandaru<[email-masked]>
>

-- 
Thanks,
Uma Bandaru

---

From: John Zwiebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 06:13:43 -1000

On May 12, 2011, at 6:06 AM, Uma Devi Bandaru wrote:

> Dear Noel,
> 
> Thanks for the prompt response. Happy to note that the list is active and accommodating (for beginners like me).
> 
> From your description below, I am interested in these "external" interfaces. And yes, I've gone thru the IETF drafts on this topic and they seem to provide a general overview of the messages. I dont see them list out the exact details of these messages (formats, structures etc.) for these request/response pairs.
> 

All packet formats are in the main lisp spec.  How to use them is in the various other specs.

> _______________________________________________
> lisp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp

---

From: Uma Devi Bandaru <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 09:25:19 -0700

Got it. I assumed (wrongly) that these details would be within the MS/MR 
spec alone. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks,
Uma Bandaru

-- 
Thanks,
Uma Bandaru

---

From: Darrel Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 09:36:41 -0700

On May 12, 2011, at 9:25 AM, Uma Devi Bandaru wrote:

> Got it. I assumed (wrongly) that these details would be within the MS/MR spec alone. Thanks a bunch.
> 

Hi Uma,

Its important to remember for IETF drafts that Normative reverences must be read to fully 'get' the current draft you are reading.  But it might be nice to explicitly mention that the main lisp draft has packet format information.  If you agree, maybe you can propose a short block of text we can add to the document?

Let us know when you are ready to start interop testing, we can get you integrated into the current beta network, which has a mixture of different vendor and open source implementations.

-Darrel

---

From: Uma Devi Bandaru <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 09:43:03 -0700

Hi,

> Its important to remember for IETF drafts that Normative reverences must be read to fully 'get' the current draft you are reading.  But it might be nice to explicitly mention that the main lisp dra…

Sure thing....  especially if it is going to help other newbies like me. 
Will get back to you shortly with the text.
> Let us know when you are ready to start interop testing, we can get you integrated into the current beta network, which has a mixture of different vendor and open source implementations.
Sure. Thanks for your offer. Will let you all know once I am ready.

-- 
Thanks,
Uma Bandaru

---

From: Uma Devi Bandaru <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 09:21:50 -0700

Hi Darrel,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this one. Perhaps we could 
the following sentence at the end of Section 3 of the LISP-MS spec :

"Details of the LISP control plane packet formats used by the 
Map-Server/Map-Resolver are provided in [LISP] "

Thanks,
Uma Bandaru

-- 
Thanks,
Uma Bandaru

---

From: Vince Fuller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 14:16:51 -0700

> Map-Server/Map-Resolver are provided in [LISP] "

Hi Uma-

Thanks for the good suggestion. I've added the following sentence at the
end of section 3:

   Detailed descriptions of the LISP packet types referenced by this
   document may be found in [LISP].

This will appear in the next version of the document, draft-ietf-lisp-ms-09

I've made a similar addition to the ALT document, draft-ietf-lisp-alt-07

	--Vince