Subject: [lisp] RFC 6833 on Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) Map-Server Interface

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:51:29 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6833

        Title:      Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) Map-Server 
                    Interface 
        Author:     V. Fuller, D. Farinacci
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 30144
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-lisp-ms-16.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6833.txt

This document describes the Mapping Service for the Locator/ID
Separation Protocol (LISP), implemented by two new types of LISP-
speaking devices -- the LISP Map-Resolver and LISP Map-Server -- that
provides a simplified "front end" for one or more Endpoint ID to
Routing Locator mapping databases.

By using this service interface and communicating with Map-Resolvers
and Map-Servers, LISP Ingress Tunnel Routers and Egress Tunnel
Routers are not dependent on the details of mapping database systems,
which facilitates experimentation with different database designs.
Since these devices implement the "edge" of the LISP infrastructure,
connect directly to LISP-capable Internet end sites, and comprise the
bulk of LISP-speaking devices, reducing their implementation and
operational complexity should also reduce the overall cost and effort
of deploying LISP.  This document defines an Experimental Protocol 
for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC