Subject: [lisp] RFC 6830 on The Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:50:32 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6830

        Title:      The Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) 
        Author:     D. Farinacci, V. Fuller,
                    D. Meyer, D. Lewis
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      75
        Characters: 189977
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-lisp-24.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6830.txt

This document describes a network-layer-based protocol that enables
separation of IP addresses into two new numbering spaces: Endpoint
Identifiers (EIDs) and Routing Locators (RLOCs).  No changes are
required to either host protocol stacks or to the "core" of the
Internet infrastructure.  The Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP)
can be incrementally deployed, without a "flag day", and offers
Traffic Engineering, multihoming, and mobility benefits to early
adopters, even when there are relatively few LISP-capable sites.

Design and development of LISP was largely motivated by the problem
statement produced by the October 2006 IAB Routing and Addressing
Workshop.  This document defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet
community.

This document is a product of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC