Subject: [lisp] lisp architecture index scalability (section 6.4)

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 15:35:58 -0500

I was discussing the architecture document and it was poited out (and I 
agree) that section 6.4 came out badly.  I think that the first step 
towards a solution (which may be sufficient) is to include a one 
paragraph description of DDT.

Yours,
Joel

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 16:48:28 -0500 (EST)

> From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>

    > agree) that section 6.4 came out badly.

It does have a certain 'useful if you are already fairly conversant with the
points being made' quality about it...

I mean, 'DDT doesn't have potential hot-spots like ALT' is really only useful
if you know why ALT might have them, and where... :-)

    > I think that the first step towards a solution (which may be
    > sufficient) is to include a one paragraph description of DDT.

Actually, that should go in Section 5.2.3. "Indexing Subsystem" in the
architecture introduction document.

The problem, as always, is that I can think of many interesting things to
say, but the problem is how to keep the document to a reasonable length.

In this regard, I note that the two documents were written at a time when DDT
was just coming into view, and were in fact somewhat 'forward looking' on
this matter. Now, I think, things have changed, and perhaps we can just drop
most discussion of ALT, including the long discussion about 'why DDT is
better than ALT'.

That would allow the space to be dedicated to a bit longer description of DDT
than 'just like DNS'... ;-)

	Noel

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 16:55:00 -0500 (EST)

> that should go in .. the architecture introduction document.

BTW, I have realize that the two documents _together_ are 'the architecture
description', so I am now referring to them as the 'introduction document'
and the 'perspective document' (and so I find references to 'the architecture
document' a bit confusing at this point :-).

I have renamed them both in my draft versions to make this perfectly clear,
and will be updating the file names when I next submit new versions to help
everyone get used to this.

	Noel