Subject: [lisp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:51:14 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : An Architecural Introduction to the LISP Location-Identity Separation System
	Author(s)       : J. Noel Chiappa
	Filename        : draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-01.txt
	Pages           : 38
	Date            : 2013-07-15

Abstract:
   LISP is an upgrade to the architecture of the IPvN internetworking
   system, one which separates location and identity (currently
   intermingled in IPvN addresses).  This is a change which has been
   identified by the IRTF as a critically necessary evolutionary
   architectural step for the Internet.  In LISP, nodes have both a
   'locator' (a name which says _where_ in the network's connectivity
   structure the node is) and an 'identifier' (a name which serves only
   to provide a persistent handle for the node).  A node may have more
   than one locator, or its locator may change over time (e.g. if the
   node is mobile), but it keeps the same identifier.

   One of the chief novelties of LISP, compared to other proposals for
   the separation of location and identity, is its approach to deploying
   this upgrade.  (In general, it is comparatively easy to conceive of
   new network designs, but much harder to devise approaches which will
   actually get deployed throughout the global network.)  LISP aims to
   achieve the near-ubiquitous deployment necessary for maximum
   exploitation of an architectural upgrade by i) minimizing the amount
   of change needed (existing hosts and routers can operate unmodified);
   and ii) by providing significant benefits to early adopters.

   This document is an introduction to the entire LISP system, for those
   who are unfamiliar with it.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-introduction

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:28:46 -0400 (EDT)

> Title: An Architecural Introduction to the LISP Location-Identity Separation System
    > Filename: draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-01.txt

Hi, all, the new draft I just posted has a lot of new material and changes
since the last one, but it's not quite ready for a fine-tooth comb review:
I'm still folding in comments that people sent me last fall (thanks!),
although many of those have already been dealt with in this version.

I have instead focused on writing the 'to be written sections', and also
adding a bunch of new sections that either i) people suggested to me, or ii)
suggested themselves; I felt it was more important to do all that first.  (So
if you don't see a change you asked for - don't despair, I probably just
haven't gotten to it yet. Any I don't agree with I will be taking up with
people offline, to further consider.)

Hopefully a new version will be out in two weeks (once the I-D system reopens)
that is 'ready for prime time'. However, if people want to quickly scan
through this version, and provide feedback on major points, like 'it should
cover topic X', and things like that, that would be very much appreciated -
that way those major fixes can be accomodated _before_ we get to the
'polished' version (ready for the F-T-C review).

Here's a brief summary of most of the things that have changed:

A number of sections previously marked 'to be written' have been written:

- A number of 'Performance' sections, including i) ITR mapping caches,
	ii) the mapping system
- The 'example packet handling' sections
- A section on the possible/plausible impact, over time, on DFZ routing
	of LISP
- Various fault handling sections

A number of wholly new sections have been added:

- A prefaratory note, explaining the overall structure and organizational
  rationale of the document pair
- A number of 'Security' sections, including i) in the Overview,
	ii) about requesting a Mapping, iii) inside DDT
- A section describing Probing
- A section on mapping lifetimes
- An explanation of SMRs
- A section about what you have to do to deploy LISP (this can use
	some work, I know)

There has been some internal re-organization: the material on Mapping
Versioning has been moved up to the xTR section (now that is an RFC); Fault
Handling has been moved in front of 'Improvements'.

Much material has been moved to the 'Perspectives' document (especially
Appendixes thereof), in order to keep the 'Introduction' document to a
'manageable' size, including the section on 'Design Approach', all material
on ALT (including about its replacement with DDT), and the section about 'why
DDT instead of DNS' (which isn't really an introduction topic anyway).

My plan at this point is to separate the two documents, in terms of
processing (as opposed to before, where I posted them at the same time), so I
don't get e.g. comments jumbled in together, and have to sort them out.

So, once the 'polished' version of this one is posted, we can be discussing
this one in the foreground while I start in on writing the 'to-be-written'
content for the 'Perspectives' document in the background.

	Noel

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:46:30 -0400 (EDT)

PS: I'm pretty impressed at how good a job the version diff tool:

did here, given the magnitude of the changes. (The ability to detect changed
line justification, separate from insertion/deletion of text, is particularly
good.) Definitely an option for people who read the previous version, and
just want to see what's changed.

     Noel