Subject: [lisp] Coverage of performance in the ArchDoc set

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 16:08:32 -0400 (EDT)

So I've been working on the 'Perspectives' document from the set, and it
(notionally) has a section for 'Performance'.

The thing is that the 'Introduction' document from the set also has some
coverage of performance, both the mapping cache in the ITR (in ID-01, in
6.1.1., "Mapping Cache Performance") and the mapping system (DDT, in ID-01 in
10.6., "Performance of the Mapping System").

I don't think it's good to put _all_ the material about performance in one
place or the other: We probably need to have some in the Intro document, so
that non-LISP people can have some assurance that the thing works, and will
continue to work as it grows, reasonably well. At the same time, there are
probably some more subtle things to say about performance (e.g. _why_ it
performs the way it does, and why that can be expected to be true over time)
that belong in the 'Perspectives' document.

I guess my question really is 'is there too much coverage of this topic in the
existing Intro documents'? The sections are relatively long (9 paragraphs,
some of them lengthy, in the first section; 4 paragraphs in the second).
Could should/either one be trimmed a bit?

Looking at them, my sense is that the second is fine, but the first is
probably a bit too detailed, and could use some trimming (with material moved
to the 'Perspective' document). Or should I leave it as it is?

	   Noel

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 13:59:37 -0700

It seems to me that the Introduction document should be used to give a rough "what is LISP" and that all performance and more detail about the architecture and protocols (but not to the level of the individual specs) should go into the Perspective document. 

Because performance gives one perspective on "how LISP works". Or better yet, "how well LISP works".

Dino

On Aug 7, 2013, at 1:08 PM, [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa) wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> lisp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp