Subject: Re: [lisp] LISP EID Block Size

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:50:19 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Sander Steffann <[email-masked]>

    > If it is difficult to explain what the experiment is about then I
    > understand that people are afraid it might be a bad idea.

You seem to be conflating "quality of writing" with "quality of idea". That's
an incorrect linkage.

Have you ever tried to read Newton's "Principia"? To me, it's a nightmare to
read (admittedly, in part because he didn't want to reveal the incremental
calculus). Needless to say, the ideas in it are anything but.

Anyway, these documents were well enough written for me to understand what
the point was.

	Noel

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 18:21:04 -0400 (EDT)

> From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>

    > code should be written to be agile and be able to be TOLD what prefix
    > is the magic prefix. Nobody should be reifying prefixes into anything

That path makes sense if there's a good chance the experiment is going to
succeed, and the code is going to wind up going into service.

If not, though, you're mandating that _other people_ have to spend more of
their engineering time writing code that's basically totally irrelevant to the
experiment at hand. Hopefully needless to say, you wouldn't like it if other
people started allocating _your_ engineering time in ways that made sense to
them.

But that's not the worst problem with your proposal:

    > And work the experiment in a /32

Let's suppose the experiment is a success (i.e. your suggested coding
investment will have paid off). If a /32 is allocated, you've basically now
mandated that there's going to have to be a flag day, or something, to
transition from the /32 to some more suitable space. That's going to be a
massive hassle.

Look, you can't have it both ways. Your 'make the code flexible' concept only
makes sense if this experiment is going to succeed - but if it succeeds,
allocating such a small prefix is guaranteeing a massive operational headache
down the line.

	Noel

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 18:29:16 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>

    > On the LISP page I already see LISP using IPv4 and IPv6 blocks for this
    > experiment. 

Sorry, which blocks do you see being used for the 'facial EIDs' experiment?
(And which page is it you're looking at, to see this?)

	Noel