Subject: [lisp] VPNs and Initial Applications

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:17:17 -0400 (EDT)

In the previous version of the Intro document, we had a sub-section (in the
"Initial Applications" section) titled "Local Uses" which started like this:

   LISP has a number of use cases which are within purely local
   contexts, i.e. not in the larger Internet.  These fall into two
   categories: uses seen on the Internet (above), but here on a private
   (and usually small scale) setting; and applications which do not have
   a direct analog in the larger Internet, and which apply only to local
   deployments.

   Among the former are multi-homing, IP version traversal, and support
   of VPN's for segmentation and multi-tenancy (i.e. a spatially
   separated private VPN whose components are joined together using the
   public Internet as a backbone).

As a result of the interim, we apparently decided to break out VPN's as a
separate sub-section, because I know have a new sub-section:

   Virtual Private Networks

   This includes support of VPN's for segmentation and multi-tenancy
   (i.e. a spatially separated private VPN whose components are joined
   together using the public Internet as a backbone).

and the cryptic note "L2 and L3".

I'm really lost as to what the document should say/talk about in this
sub-section, and I'm not sure what that "L2 and L3" should expand into
(presumably it refers to both bridged VPNs at level 2, and also 'classic'
VPNs at level 3).

There doesn't seem to be a lot written about VPN support in LISP: there is
one ID ("Layer 2 (L2) LISP Encapsulation Format"), but it mostly just gives
the packet format; a quick Google search didn't turn up anything that useful
either.

Can people give me some idea what this sub-section should say? I don't need
text, just a list of points to cover. Thanks!

	Noel

---

From: xu cai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:56:49 +0800

Hi Noel

I happen to see this email, quite interested in this topic, may I get a
copy of your initial version of the "intro document" ? what's the purpose
of the document, a new RFC draft ?

thanks a lot in advance.

Jeffrey Cai

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 4:17 AM, Noel Chiappa <[email-masked]>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> lisp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp
>

-- 
- jeffrey