Subject: Re: [lisp] LISP EID Block Size

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:57:24 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Sander Steffann <[email-masked]>

    > I don't see how having a special prefix is going to help in (correctly)
    > determining whether an address is an EID.

It doesn't - because is not intended to.

The question it will answer is 'is there some benefit to having 'facial' EIDs,
as opposed to only having EIDs for which the only way to tell if they are EIDs
is to look them up in the mapping system'.

    > Sorry, still not (yet?) liking this idea.

I'm not sold on it yet either. (Like I said before, we'll have to support
non-facial EIDs 'well' if the overall system is to be a success - so will
these be enough 'better' that there will be some benefit to having them?)

But I think we won't know one way or the other unless we play around with
them, and see if we can develop some good uses for them.

I'd like to make an analogy to LISP itself. In the early days, we thought up
a lot of use cases (e.g. provider independece, multi-homing, etc). However,
now that we have a fair amount of deployment, it turns out the be the most
popular use-case (at the moment) is one that didn't get a lot of attention
back them - VPNs.

Sometimes you just have to try things to learn more about them.

	Noel

---

From: Sander Steffann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 18:05:31 +0100

Hi,

> Sometimes you just have to try things to learn more about them.

Ok,
Sander