Subject: [lisp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:34:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : An Architectural Introduction to the LISP Location-Identity Separation System
	Author(s)       : J. Noel Chiappa
	Filename        : draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-02.txt
	Pages           : 57
	Date            : 2013-10-01

Abstract:
   LISP is an upgrade to the architecture of the IP internetworking
   system, one which separates location and identity (previously
   intermingled in IP addresses).  This is a change which has been
   identified by the IRTF as a critically necessary evolutionary
   architectural step for the Internet.  In LISP, nodes have both a
   'locator' (a name which says _where_ in the network's connectivity
   structure the node is) and an 'identifier' (a name which provides a
   persistent handle for the node).  A node may have more than one
   locator, or its locator may change over time (e.g. if the node is
   mobile), but it keeps the same identifier.

   One of the chief novelties of LISP, compared to other proposals for
   the separation of location and identity, is its approach to deploying
   this upgrade.  LISP aims to achieve the near-ubiquitous deployment
   necessary for maximum exploitation of an architectural upgrade by i)
   minimizing the amount of change needed (existing hosts and routers
   can operate unmodified); and ii) by providing significant benefits to
   early adopters.

   This document is an introductory overview of the entire LISP system,
   for those who are unfamiliar with it.  The first half of the document
   is a unified stand-alone brief introduction to LISP, for those who
   only want a basic understanding of LISP; the document taken as a
   whole provides a more detailed overview of LISP and its operation.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-introduction

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 14:08:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all, this is a 'temporary' version for use at the interim WG meeting at
the end of this week. The intent is that 'shortly' thereafter, an updated
version will come out, which will include the changes made during the review
at the interim, and that will be the one I'd like to get comments on.

The version released as an ID does not have editorical comments turned on;
there is a version available online at:

  http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/lisp/LISP_Intro_id2.txt

which does have them, for use by the detailed review at the interim WG
meeting.  (That is a permanent URL: the contents will not change as I work on
the document.)

Changes since the last version include:

- Adding a host of comments from various reviewers (thank you, all); in
  particular, a lot of confused usage of terminology (nodes, stacks, etc)
  in the "Overview" section has been (mostly) staightened out.
- In general, material past the existing RFC's has been split off into a new
  document, "Overview of On-Going Improvements to LISP", for a number of
  reasons.  For one, covering it just got to be too much (there are a whole
  raft of multicast things going on, for instance), and it was causing major 
  document bloat; for another, much of it is outside the current WG charter.
- Much of the material in the 'Background' section has been exiled to
  an Appendix, in order to more quickly get to LISP itself.
- Multicast support (6831 type) is now covered at some length (all the new
  multicast stuff has been moved to the 'Improvments' document.
- Coverage of experimental NAT work has been moved to an appendix; the new
  NAT support has been moved to the 'Improvements' document.
- The Glossary has been filled in.
- The first of two planned diagrams has been added.
- A brief History of the LISP project has been added as an Appendix.
- The description of ALT has been moved to an Appendix.

A big 'thank you' to all the reviewers so far; I felt that the document was
quite good back at the start of the process, but it's quite clear that the
current one is, with your help, considerably better than that, even.

  Noel