Subject: [lisp] Benoit Claise's No Objection on charter-ietf-lisp-03-01: (with COMMENT)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 02:40:33 -0700

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-lisp-03-01: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-lisp/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I see: 
  The LISP WG is chartered to continue work on the LISP base protocol 
  and produce standard-track documents (unless the content of the 
  document itself is of a different type, e.g., informational or 
  experimental). 

And I see a redundant sentence:
  Documents of these work items will as well target standard-track 
  unless the main content of the document itself clearly demands for 
  a different type (e.g., informational or experimental). In the latter 
  case the Working Group needs to determine the proper document 
  class.

I'm afraid that those two sentences are so generic that they don't add
anything to the charter.
The following sentence is clear though, for the first set of
deliverables:
  In order to produce a coherent set of documents, the first (and high 
  priority) work item of the LISP Working Group is to develop a 
  standard-track solution based on the completed Experimental RFCs 
  and the experience gained from early deployments.

As AD, if you know already the track of each of the documents (the ones
under "In parallel with the previous main work item, the LISP WG will
work on the items listed below:") or want to provide guidance, my advice
is to add the milestones and the respected expected status.  
See https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/netconf/charter/ as an example.

---

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:12:51 +0000

Hi Benoit,

Thanks for the careful read and pointers.

The sentences were very carefully tweaked to satisfy concerns of Terry, Jari, Alia, and others. So may be some redundancy though each paragraph was carefully phrased to address their concerns. I'll take a look with the chairs to see if we can do some smoothing without impacting the message.

On the milestones, we need to discuss within the WG to understand the maturity and priority. The discussion has started noting the most obvious ones to go standards-track:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/lisp/sscwbpgnSgfJ4980oYomwGB5_T4

Thanks again-
Deborah

-----Original Message-----
From: iesg [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Benoit Claise
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:41 AM
To: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Benoit Claise's No Objection on charter-ietf-lisp-03-01: (with COMMENT)

I see:

---

From: Luigi Iannone <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 12:10:02 +0200

Hi Benoit,

thanks for the detailed review. As Deborah stated in her reply the text is the result of a few tweaks to accommodate previous comments.

inline some suggestion to improve the text according to your remarks.

ciao

L.

> On 21 Apr 2016, at 11:40, Benoit Claise <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I would suggest to drop the parenthesis, simplifying the sentence in:

	The LISP WG is chartered to continue work on the LISP base protocol 
 	and produce standard-track documents. 

>  case the Working Group needs to determine the proper document 

I would modify the beginning of the sentence as follows:

 	Like for the main work item, documents of these work items 
	will as well target standard-track unless the main content of 
	the document itself clearly demands for a different type (e.g., 
	informational or experimental). In the latter case the Working 
	Group needs to determine the proper document class.

Does those changes make the text less redundant and more clear?

> See https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/netconf/charter/ as an example.

Let us discuss the milestones and we will come back with a list.

ciao

L.