Subject: [lisp] Jari Arkko's No Objection on charter-ietf-lisp-03-01: (with COMMENT)

From: "Jari Arkko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 09:15:52 -0700

Jari Arkko has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-lisp-03-01: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-lisp/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I had asked a clarification on which parts of the work of the WG will be
going standards track and which parts experimental. The answer and
suggested edits to the charter have made it clearer. Thank you.

For what it is worth, I believe the working group should not put the
entire list of work items (9 previous RFCs to be re-worked plus 7 new
ones) targeting standards track. The new charter text has language that
the situation will be evaluated for the new charter items, but at least
my read of it gives a default answer of "standards track".  In my view
there are work items that would benefit from being targeted for an
experimental round before made standards, and I thought the charter
should have said that. 

There was pushback for my suggestion to do that, however. I do not plan
to stand in the way of the working group making this charter update, but
I wanted to be on record that the I didn't think this was a good idea.

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 09:57:02 -0700

If we should start a list of what items should be standards track, I think this is a decent start and is a practical base:

RFC 6830 (main spec)
RFC 6831 (multicast spec) but decide if draft-ietf-lisp-signal-free should go instead or in addition
RFC 6832 (Interworking)
RFC 6833 (Map-Server (aka the mapping system control-plane))
draft-ietf-lisp-ddt

And note these specs have been in use for at least 5 years.

Dino

On Apr 6, 2016, at 9:15 AM, Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> lisp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp