Subject: [MSEC] TLS vs. multicast

From: Brian Weis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 09:32:42 -0800

The MSEC Architecture draft has the following statement in section 3.1
"Multicast Data". I've taken out of context for clarity:

   "... multicast encryption and group authentication are fairly
   standard and similar to encrypting and authenticating point-to-point
   communication .... Consequently, off-the-shelf solutions (e.g., taken
   from IPSec [RFC2406], TLS [RFC2246]) may be sufficient for
   encryption."

I've been told that TLS is inherently unicast, I suppose because of it
usually being dependent upon TCP. Is that statement strictly true? If
so, then I will strike the reference to TLS from this section, since it
is specifically discussing multicast data.

Thanks,
Brian

-- 
Brian Weis
Strategic Cryptographic Development, ITD, Cisco Systems
Telephone: +1 408 526 4796
Email: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 11:38:10 -0800

Brian,

>    from IPSec [RFC2406], TLS [RFC2246]) may be sufficient for

Did this come from the original SMuG framework draft?

>usually being dependent upon TCP. Is that statement strictly true?

Yep, ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2246.txt says it runs on a 
reliable protocol, e.g. TCP in section 1

>If

I still cannot figure out why TLS is in that paragraph, but TLS seems to be 
wrong in the limited context cited above.

thanks, Mark

---

From: Brian Weis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 09:32:36 -0800

Hi Mark,

> Did this come from the original SMuG framework draft?

Yes.

> wrong in the limited context cited above.

Thanks ... I'll remove the reference.

Brian