Subject: Re: Draft: PI addressing derived from AS numbers

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:09:36 +0100

> I don't think so, it more a matter of creating the precedent then real
> savings on the routing table size.
>

BGP routing table entries examined:                            120000
     Prefixes after maximum aggregation:                         76659
     Unique aggregates announced to Internet:                    57689
Total ASes present in the Internet Routing Table:               14519
Origin-only ASes present in the Internet Routing Table:         12614
Origin ASes announcing only one prefix:                          5690
Transit ASes present in the Internet Routing Table:              1905
Transit-only ASes present in the Internet Routing Table:           65
Average AS path length visible in the Internet Routing Table:     5.3
     Max AS path length visible:                                    17
Illegal AS announcements present in the Routing Table:             12
Non-routable prefixes present in the Routing Table:                 0
Prefixes being announced from the IANA Reserved Address blocks:    24
Number of addresses announced to Internet:                 1181077033
     Equivalent to 70 /8s, 101 /16s and 206 /24s
     Percentage of available address space announced:             31.9
     Percentage of allocated address space announced:             57.9
     Percentage of available address space allocated:             55.0
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:     55671

So, if all had a IPv6 delegation, we would have 14519 routes, of which 
12614 would be multihomed. Compared to 120k. What are are missing is 
the number of prefixes announced by origin-only AS:es. Philip, are you 
lurking here? Can that be added?

- kurtis -

---

From: "Robert J. Rockell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 08:58:48 -0500 (EST)

this is my favorite line:

call back when multihoming works to SCALE.   The sky may not be falling (as
fast as people say).

Thanks
Rob Rockell
SprintLink
(+1) 703-689-6322
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

->> I don't think so, it more a matter of creating the precedent then real
->> savings on the routing table size.
->>
->
->
->BGP routing table entries examined:                            120000
->     Prefixes after maximum aggregation:                         76659
->     Unique aggregates announced to Internet:                    57689
->Total ASes present in the Internet Routing Table:               14519
->Origin-only ASes present in the Internet Routing Table:         12614
->Origin ASes announcing only one prefix:                          5690
->Transit ASes present in the Internet Routing Table:              1905
->Transit-only ASes present in the Internet Routing Table:           65
->Average AS path length visible in the Internet Routing Table:     5.3
->     Max AS path length visible:                                    17
->Illegal AS announcements present in the Routing Table:             12
->Non-routable prefixes present in the Routing Table:                 0
->Prefixes being announced from the IANA Reserved Address blocks:    24
->Number of addresses announced to Internet:                 1181077033
->     Equivalent to 70 /8s, 101 /16s and 206 /24s
->     Percentage of available address space announced:             31.9
->     Percentage of allocated address space announced:             57.9
->     Percentage of available address space allocated:             55.0
->Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:     55671
->
->
->So, if all had a IPv6 delegation, we would have 14519 routes, of which
->12614 would be multihomed. Compared to 120k. What are are missing is
->the number of prefixes announced by origin-only AS:es. Philip, are you
->lurking here? Can that be added?
->
->- kurtis -
->
->