Subject: Re: Draft: PI addressing derived from AS numbers

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 16:30:06 +0100

Michel Py wrote:
> 
> > Michael Richardson wrote:
> > The AS proposal certainly results in a much smaller DFZ than if
> > we handed every holder of PI IPv4 space PI space in IPv6.
> 
> Absolutely, the point I was making is not that it would be bigger, as I
> do like the idea, but that it would likely not be possible to stick to
> it: If we give PI to ASN holders, you can be sure that the lobbying of
> swamp space holders to get the same thing is going to be a freight train
> that nobody will be able to stop.

Let's do a little thought experiment.

Everybody who has an AS has at least one globally routeable IPv4 address.
So they already have an IPv6 prefix from RFC 3056. It's only a /48, but
they have one of those for every IPv4 address they own, so that's fine.

Hmm, now they can just announce those /48 prefixes for their AS; problem 
solved without Pekka's document.

Hmmm, now anyone who is in the IPv4 swamp can do the same thing, even 
without an AS number.

Hmmmm, now we have imported the entire IPv4 DFZ into the IPv6 DFZ.

Exactly what the rules in RFC 3056 say is forbidden, but they can't be
enforced.

The point of the thought experiment is that this would also happen
with Pekka's proposal, I suspect. If we don't invent a good
alternative to importing the swamp, we'll end up importing it.

   Brian

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:55:36 +0100 (CET)

> alternative to importing the swamp, we'll end up importing it.

Inventing is not the problem. At some point, we need to start adopting
some inventions.