Subject: Re: GSE

From: "J. Noel Chiappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 06:39:18 -0500

> From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>

    >> Why do you need the full transport layer state? Which the end-host
    >> does have access to, of course - provided you're doing this in the
    >> end-host, and not at some border box

    > You want to switch to another path when the current one becomes
    > available, but there is no easy way to determine when this happens.
    > Reliable transport protocols know whether the other end is still
    > reachable so they can initiate a failover event if this is no longer
    > the case. A box in the middle would have to monitor the session state.

Oh, right. I guess I just assumed that the end-host always had the job of
detecting when the far end had gone unreachable, since it's clearly such a
nightmare for a middle-box to determine that.

(The middle box would have to know every application, to recognize when there
was a problem, since you can have failure modes that don't show up at the
transport level - e.g. a timeout on a reply).

So then you have the choice of either i) the end-host picks a new far-end
address, or ii) it tells the border router to pick a new one.

	Noel

---

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:02:31 +0100

> address, or ii) it tells the border router to pick a new one.

Well, to some effect the latter is what we do today already so I don't 
see that as a major problem.

- kurtis -