Subject: RE: Draft: PI addressing derived from AS numbers

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 08:04:07 -0800

> Pekka Savola wrote:
> The point of the model, as far as I thought it, at
> least was that:
> - those who already have an AS number, fine-- go for it
> (these would possibly contribute to some 1,000+ routes
> in IPv6 DFZ, the absolute number is peanuts, but of
> course there may be some layer 8 (and up) avalanche
> effects) 

I think this resumes it well. If it was not for the avalanche effects
(including a land rush to get ASNs) it could be workable.

Michel.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:20:37 +0200 (EET)

> (including a land rush to get ASNs) it could be workable.

There should _not_ be a land rush to get ASN's.. as those gold miners
should realize that the specification as written will give them _nothing_.  
(Well, except for the 2,000-3,000 first ones or so, until we reach 32K,
but I don't see that as a big problem.)

What I'd be more worried is Layer 8 (and up) effects, crying about
unfairness of the world, pushing to extend the limits, etc.etc.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings