Subject: Comment on draft-ohta-multi6-threats-00.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:14:56 +0100

> 1.4. Privacy on Identification
> 
>    If transport layer protocols having new connection identification
>    requires hosts having persisting identification information, it will
>    be used to track the identify of the host, which is a new security
>    threat.

What is the persistency of the identifier? For a single session, for a single
reboot, or indefinite?

If the identifier is created per session or per reboot, the privacy
threat seems unimportant.

   Brian

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:04:41 +0900

Brian;

> What is the persistency of the identifier? For a single session, for a single

It depens on proposals, though I think per session ID is rather
temporary than persistent.

> threat seems unimportant.

Per session privacy is, of course, unimportant.

Another case where privacy is unimportant is per location change,
because you don't have location privacy.

But, if you use Unix, you should expect reboot once in every
several monthes or years that per reboot is very long.

							Masataka Ohta