Subject: Re: Draft of updated WG charter

From: Paul Lustgraaf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 21:49:16 CST

> =20
> > I think address selection & path selection shouldn't be on the end=20
> > system side of the line, so an architecture which causes every end=20
> > system in every multi-homed network to do those jobs seems broken=20
> > to me
> =20
> you mean the folks who are selling/using the route control products[1]
> (which allows to select the first hop of the best route) are stupids?=20
> I was of the thought that *provider* selection (or path/address
> selection) should be done by users and not *providers*.=20
> =20
> [1] http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0206/smart.html

Those are routers, not end systems.  In order to do their job, they
need to have routing information.  End systems should never have to
deal with such information.  Any architecture that requires the 20,000+
end systems on my campus to make routing decisions is broken.

Path selection is the definition of routing.  Address selection is
dependent on path selection most of the time.  Routers should route.
End systems should run applications.

Paul Lustgraaf                   "Change is inevitable.  Progress is not."
Manager of Network Services
Iowa State University Academic Information Technologies  [email-masked]
Ames, IA  50011                                               515-294-0324

---

From: Jay Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 00:07:30 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Paul Lustgraaf wrote:
> > > I think address selection & path selection shouldn't be on the end
> > > system side of the line, so an architecture which causes every end
> > > system in every multi-homed network to do those jobs seems broken
> > > to me
> >
> > (which allows to select the first hop of the best route) are stupids?
> > selection) should be done by users and not *providers*.
>

Yep.

> End systems should run applications.

You left out layers 4-6, but they still reside in the host.  How
about:
   Routers should do layer 3.
   Hosts should do layers 4 & up.

________________________________________________________________________
Jay Ford, Network Engineering Group, Information Technology Services
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242
email: [email-masked], phone: 319-335-5555, fax: 319-335-2951