Subject: RE: HIP firewalling

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar \(UMKC-Student\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 05:47:45 -0600

>> As a side note, how is HIP going to allow port blocking? Will it avoid
>> worm attacks by its puzzle mechanism. I don't think it is possible (but
>> it can reduce its spawning speed.)
>
> You can build a HIP firewall that uses HIs as the level of
> granularity.  Beyond that, on the port level, you have to
> do locally at the host.  But that's the right way to do it
> anyway, IMHO.  The current worms and other internet fauna
> are a problem that SHOULD NOT be handled at the network level
> but by the operating system.
 
The patch solution has its limitations. If i am a network admin, i have
to track the infected hosts, wake up the user, convince them that it is
really a problem, then ask him to patch his OS, and then allow the user
to play with his machine. It is not a day's work but sometimes goes in
the order of months. port blocking will fix the problem quickly, OTOH.
So, IAB's recent port blocking concerns did not consider the total 
picture.

> Do you expect to run HIP in your Win98 box?

of course. my school just provides windoze machine(and run linux through 
emulation,VMware etc.)  Is IETF just support non-windoze platforms? ;-)