Subject: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dna-goals-00.txt]

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:07:07 +0200

Multi6 people might like to look at this and consider whether a
successful DNA solution might form part of the multihoming toolkit.
The model would be that a signal from DNA that the network attachment
had changed would be a strong hint that a multihoming event is
about to occur.

If you think any of the goals listed in the draft need to be
modified to assist multihoming, please have that discussion on
the dna mailing list, not here.

    Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dna-goals-00.txt
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:41:44 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Detecting Network Attachment Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Detecting Network Attachment in IPv6 Goals
	Author(s)	: J. Choi, G. Daley
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dna-goals-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2004-6-11
	
At the time a host establishes a new link-layer connection, it may or
    may not have a valid IP configuration for Internet connectivity.  The
    host may check for link change, i.e.  determine whether a link change
    has occurred, and then, based on the result, it can automatically
    decide whether its IP configuration is still valid or not.  While
    checking for link change, the host may also collect necessary
    information to initiate a new IP configuration for the case that the
    IP subnet has changed.  In this memo, this procedure is called

    Rapid attachment detection is required when a host has on-going data
    traffic.  Current DNA schemes are inadequate to support real-time
    applications.  The existing procedures for advertising network
    information incur reception delays and do not provide enough
    information to properly determine the identity of links.  For
    to-be-defined, efficient DNA schemes, a way to correctly represent a
    link change, a complete and consistent procedure for network
    information advertisement and a rapid delivery of the advertisements
    will be necessary.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dna-goals-00.txt