Subject: RE: API, was: Question re HIP dependency & some architectural considerations

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:18:56 +0300

Pekka,

Quick question on terminology:

> A = Application, i.e., API level and inside applications
> E = End-point (in the sense that Noel Chiappa and/or NSRG
>      use/used the term)

Is the EID capable covering multiple IP addresses / interfaces?  
For example, if I have device with WLAN & GPRS, which have connections
to different ISPs so the interfaces have different addresses, does
a single EID cover both IP addresses?

I'm asking the above in a termonologic sense, not a technologic
sense, as the technology may still need to be determined.

thanks,
John

---

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:46:28 +0300

John,

> a single EID cover both IP addresses?

Yes, it is capable of covering multiple IP addresses / interfaces.

 From http://users.exis.net/~jnc/tech/endpoints.txt:

> An "endpoint" is thus defined as one participant of an end-end
> communication; i.e. the fundamental agent of end-end communication. It
> is the entity which is performing a reliable communication on an
> end-end basis.

--Pekka