Subject: [netmod] Proposed solution to "identifier length" discussion

From: David Kessens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:14:45 -0700

It seems the working group is quite divided on the issue of identifier
length.

At the same time, there is no question that postponing a decision
would not help anything so we believe that we are better served making
a decision now.

When we analyzed the opinions it seems that a significant majority of
the people can actually live with the current text as long as 63 gets
changed to 64 and that many would like to have an explicit
recommendation in the usage guidelines to not use anything more than
64 for IETF modules.

We realize that this will not make everybody happy as some people
would like to have no limits while others might feel that the limits
we propose now are still not specified as tightly as possible. On the
other hand, this solutions encourages to use identifiers that are at
least somewhat human(=operator)-friendly while interoperation for IETF
modules is ensured.

We would like to hear whether you can live with this proposal in the
interest of moving forward or that you still feel that we need to
continue this debate.

David Kessens & David Partain
---