Subject: [netmod] draft-ietf-netmod-interfaces-cfg-09.txt

From: Brian Hedstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 18:21:07 +0000

Question/Comment on this draft.  Any consideration on adding a small section, such as below, that highlights the Relationship to the ENTITY-MIB?

4.  Relationship to the IF-MIB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8

I'm looking at a use case where a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) is modeled in the ENTITY-MIB as 1 or more energy objects in the IANAPhysicalClass.  However this provides modeling at the physical device level, for power measurement/metering in the example.  If I wanted to dive deeper and model individual power/energy interfaces for the PDU which are connected to individual networked components, Then I have a linkage, or UML Class diagram, or YANG relationship between the ENTITY-MIB and the IF-MIB (or this draft).  Could this relationship/association be explained in a section?

Thanks,
Brian Hedstrom
Senior Architect, Business & Operational Support Systems
CableLabs, Inc.
858 Coal Creek Circle
Louisville, CO 80027
Direct: 303.661.3829
eFax: 303.664.8120
Google+: brian.hedstrom
Skype IM: brian.hedstrom
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 19:37:49 +0100

> I'm looking at a use case where a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) is modeled in the ENTITY-MIB as 1 or more energy objects in the IANAPhysicalClass.  However this provides modeling at the physical de…

I fail to understand. Nor do I see anything in the text that clarifies
something defined by draft-ietf-netmod-interfaces-cfg-09.txt.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Brian Hedstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 21:47:17 +0000

At a higher level, how are we getting the ENTITY-MIB and IF-MIB
relationships modeled in YANG?

For a specific example, how do we model the entAliasMappingTable
relationships of logical entities to physical components, or in my example
below, a physical power interface to a physical power device.  Then, how
can we model the reverse relationship, or at least document it at the
other end? (Physical Device to interface and interface to Physical Device).

If I want to provision the Serial number and AssetId of the Power Device
and then provision the LinkUpDownTrapEnabled and Enabled attributes of the
Power interface (or all the power interfaces) on that Power DeviceŠ

Thanks,

Brian Hedstrom
[email-masked]

On 3/8/13 11:37 AM, "Juergen Schoenwaelder"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Question/Comment on this draft.  Any consideration on adding a small
>>section, such as below, that highlights the Relationship to the
>>ENTITY-MIB?
>> 
>> I'm looking at a use case where a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) is
>>modeled in the ENTITY-MIB as 1 or more energy objects in the
>>IANAPhysicalClass.  However this provides modeling at the physical
>>device level, for power measurement/metering in the example.  If I
>>wanted to dive deeper and model individual power/energy interfaces for
>>the PDU which are connected to individual networked components, Then I
>>have a linkage, or UML Class diagram, or YANG relationship between the
>>ENTITY-MIB and the IF-MIB (or this draft).  Could this
>>relationship/association be explained in a section?
>> 
>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 08:25:06 +0100

Brian,

as of now, there is no ENTITY-MIB equivalent in YANG (except the
automatic translation following RFC 6643).

/js