Subject: [netmod] terminology in ip cfg

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:25:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

The Gen-ART review from Peter Yee of draft-ietf-netmod-ip-cfg-09 had
this comment:

  General: where a description of phys-address is given, in both cases
  it says "The physical level address...".  It might be more correct
  to state "The link layer address..." for most but not all cases.

It seems rfc 4861 and others use the term 'link-layer address' whereas
the term in (most?) SNMP documents is 'physical level
address'.  Some recent MIBs (I found PMIPV6-MIB on a quick search) use
the term 'link-level address' with the type PhysAddress.

So, what is the preferred term?

If we change this to link-layer address, we should probably also
change the name of the leaf itself to "link-address" or
"link-layer-address".

/martin

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:48:22 +0200

> change the name of the leaf itself to "link-address" or

RFC 4861 clearly defines the term link-layer address for neighborhood
discovery. The good old ARP specification talks about 'hardware
addresses' - but yes it is somewhat dated. It seems that
link-layer-address is meanwhile the proper term when we talk about IP
neighborhood tables so we should probably change the leaf's name.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Jonathan Hansford <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 09:55:46 +0100

link-layer-address 

+1 

On 2013-05-10 09:25, Martin Bjorklund
wrote: 

> General: where a
description of phys-address is given, in both cases
> it says "The
physical level address...". It might be more correct
> to state "The
link layer address..." for most but not all cases.
> It seems rfc
4861 and others use the term 'link-layer address' whereas
> the term in
(most?) SNMP documents is 'physical level
> address'. Some recent MIBs
(I found PMIPV6-MIB on a quick search) use
"link-layer-address".
> /martin
_______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod