Subject: Re: [netmod] Last Call: <draft-ietf-netmod-ip-cfg-12.txt> (A YANG Data Model for IP Management) to Proposed Standard

From: "Yi Yang (yiya)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:38:33 +0000

One thing confuse me is the title of the draft -- when I first read it, I
thought this is about overall IP configuration, including router,
interface and etc. But it turns out this is really for interface only. Can
we change the name of the draft to something more specific?

Yi

On 1/9/14 9:29 AM, "The IESG" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>The IESG has received a request from the NETCONF Data Modeling Language
>WG (netmod) to consider the following document:
>- 'A YANG Data Model for IP Management'
>  <draft-ietf-netmod-ip-cfg-12.txt> as Proposed Standard
>
>The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
>[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-01-23. Exceptionally, comments may be
>sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
>beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
>Abstract
>
>
>   This document defines a YANG data model for management of IP
>   implementations.  The data model includes configuration data and
>   state data.
>
>
>
>
>The file can be obtained via
>http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-ip-cfg/
>
>IESG discussion can be tracked via
>http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-ip-cfg/ballot/
>
>
>No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>netmod mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 18:56:18 +0100

> we change the name of the draft to something more specific?

What do you mean with "router interface and etc."? What do you think
is missing? Note that this document has passed WG last call and IETF
last call ended on 2014-01-23. Note also that there is
draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-13 providing a core routing abstraction
to be augmented with routing protocol specific extensions.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "Yi Yang (yiya)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 18:21:23 +0000

Hi Juergen,

There are certain IP related management tasks are per host, not
necessarily per interface. For example, enable/disable/rate-limit icmp, or
enable DHCP on a router -- such tasks probably are more system-mgmt
related. 

My concern is really about the title itself -- IMO, something like A YANG
Data Model for Interface IP Management, or A YANG Data Model for IP
Management of Interfaces, is more appropriate.

Yi

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 19:59:07 +0100

> Management of Interfaces, is more appropriate.

I do not find any of the proposals better. Both "Interface IP
Management" and "IP Management of Interfaces" seem to be more
confusing than what we have.

/js

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:00:58 -0800

Hi,

I think the title is close enough, especially since it is already past WGLC.
The 2nd sentence in the introduction is clear enough:

   The data model covers configuration of per-interface IPv4 and IPv6
   parameters, and mappings of IP addresses to link-layer addresses.

Global parameters may get added later to this RFC.

Andy