Subject: [netmod] NetConf Operational Model Question

From: "Clyde Wildes (cwildes)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:19:42 +0000

Hi,

Some operational data reflects data in the running config. Examples from
IETF models:
- the IETF routing model duplicates most leafs but not all -
routing-instance, rib-name, rib address-family, rib recipient-ribs,
route-filter.
- the ietf-interfaces model duplicates some leafs but not all - name, type.

Under what conditions is it acceptable or desirable to model data that is
available as part of the running config as operational data?

Looking at the existing models I could not see a pattern.

Thanks,

Clyde

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:53:44 +0200

> available as part of the running config as operational data?

There is some discussion in section 4.3 of RFC 6244 but this RFC also
predates some of the newer datamodels. In short, whenever there is a
chance that what operationally is used may be different from what is
configured, then it makes sense to clearly separate operational state
from configuration state. Example: You have a set of configured static
routes. But in addition, you have routes picked up from a routing
protocol. So what is operationally being used is likely different from
what you have configured. The same can be true for certain properties
of network interfaces.

Note that the operational state often is similar but not identical to
operational state. An interface supporting 'simplex' and 'duplex'
operation can often be configured to be in 'auto' mode while it
operationally ends up in being in either 'simplex' or 'duplex' mode.
You can configure to be 'up' but it might be operationally 'down'
(e.g. the cable was not plugged in).

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:02:19 +0200

> what you have configured. The same can be true for certain properties

Static routes are actually an example where the configuration doesn’t exactly mirror state data: static routes only exist configuration. In operational state, these routes appear in RIBs, together with routes from routing protocols.

Lada

> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C