Subject: [netmod] Comments to draft-wildes-netmod-syslog-model-01

From: Dean Bogdanovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 13:43:09 +0000

Hi,

Pretty clean and straight forward draft. Have one question. Why is the user scope limited to terminal logging only? Why not for file logging too, so that permissions can be set who can access the created syslog file.

thx

Dean

---

From: "Clyde Wildes (cwildes)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 15:13:08 +0000

Dean,

Thanks for your review.

The user scope choice is defined as distribution of log messages to
specific users or all users. It is a qualification for the ability to
distribute log messages to terminals. Some vendor OSs' only support
distribution of log messages to all terminals, thus the all-users case.
Other vendors support distribution to specific users (or to all users
using a wildcard ³*² specification) - the per-user case.

None of the fives OSs¹ that were examined have permission based syslog
configuration. I would look to AAA authorization for specification of
which users can look at log files.

Thanks,

Clyde

On 7/17/14, 6:43 AM, "Dean Bogdanovic" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Pretty clean and straight forward draft. Have one question. Why is the
>user scope limited to terminal logging only? Why not for file logging
>too, so that permissions can be set who can access the created syslog
>file.
>
>thx
>
>Dean
>
>_______________________________________________
>netmod mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod