Subject: [netmod] Fw: I-D Action: draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6020bis-00.txt

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 18:07:05 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

This initial -00 draft is RFC 6020 + applied errata + introduction of
yang-version 1.1.

As soon as we start to close issues, I will update the draft and
clearly mark which issues each revision address.

With the introduction of yang-version 1.1, the question is if this
spec should obsolete RFC 6020, or just leave it as it is.  For
comparison, SMIv1 is not obsoleted by SMIv2.

/martin

Subject: [netmod] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6020bis-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 04:58:37 -0700
List-Id: NETMOD WG list <netmod.ietf.org>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the NETCONF Data Modeling Language Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : YANG - A Data Modeling Language for the Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF)
        Author          : Martin Bjorklund
	Filename        : draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6020bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 170
	Date            : 2014-07-03

Abstract:
   YANG is a data modeling language used to model configuration and
   state data manipulated by the Network Configuration Protocol
   (NETCONF), NETCONF remote procedure calls, and NETCONF notifications.
   This document obsoletes RFC 6020.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6020bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6020bis-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 18:18:54 +0200

> comparison, SMIv1 is not obsoleted by SMIv2.

Note that an SMIv1 module is not a valid SMIv2 module and that a
manual update by a human is required to turn an SMIv1 module into an
SMIv2 module. Given the constraints for YANG 1.1 spelled out in the WG
charter, I think we are facing a different situation.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 18:28:40 +0200 (CEST)

> charter, I think we are facing a different situation.

A valid YANG 1 module is NOT a valid YANG 1.1 module - but all you
have to do is change add/change the yang-version statement.  (and
maybe fix some bug...)

If we want to accept a module with yang-version 1, or no yang-version
statement, we have to change the grammar to accept yang-version 1 and
1.1, and also, I think, spell out the rules for version 1, at least if
we obsolete 6020.

/martin