Subject: [netmod] yang 1.1 status summary

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 13:24:15 +0100

Hi,

here is where we are with the YANG 1.1 effort.

  | Status | Description                            | Count |
  |--------+----------------------------------------+-------|
  | NEW    | new issue                              |     0 |
  | DEAD   | issue has been rejected                |    26 |
  | OPEN   | open to discuss                        |     7 |
  | VRFY   | proposal to verify on the list         |     2 |
  | EDIT   | waiting for Martin to do the edits     |     3 |
  | REVIEW | waiting for the WG to review the edits |    21 |
  | DONE   | review has completed                   |     0 |
  |--------+----------------------------------------+-------|

Not surprisingly, there is a tendency for the more difficult or
controversial issues to stay with us the longest. This should not
cause our motivation to drop. I think it is natural that the number of
issues we can move forward through the state machine is getting
smaller towards the end.

Here is a more list detailing where I think we are with the issues
that are OPEN or that were moved to VRFY recently:

* VRFY :Y09: introduce optional keys <<Y09>>

  -> apparently, there is no consensus, moving the state of this issue
     back to OPEN since we are not even in any way close to consensus

* VRFY :Y16: module advertisement optimization <<Y16>>

  -> we may need to decide whether the netconf-capability-change
     notification (RFC 6470) should be augmented with a module-set-id
     or we want to define a more specific notification or we just
     provide guidance that implementations may want to sync the
     module-set-id after receiving a netconf-capability-change
     notification; left in VRFY state for now
  
* VRFY :Y34: remove/deprecate/replace the 'anyxml' statement

  -> discussion on the mailing list, clarifying the difference between
     Y34-02 and Y34-04; left in VRFY state for now

* VRFY :Y49: clarify nested submodule behavior

  -> moved to EDIT state
  
* VRFY :Y59: restrict use of 64-bit numbers in XPath expressions

  -> moved to EDIT state

* OPEN :Y18: fix "when" expression context problem

  -> pending action MB

* OPEN :Y25: make enum numbering purely informative and optional

  -> pending action JS
  
* OPEN :Y26: allow mandatory nodes in augment

  -> we need concrete proposals how to relax the current rules

* OPEN :Y45: better conformance mechanism <<Y45>>

  -> some mailing list discussion, how do we make forward progress?
     one option might be to factor all conformance discusssion and
     module update rules out of the core YANG specification into a
     separate document - this does not solve the problem but it might
     help to factor it out into a separate deliverable

* OPEN :Y57: non-unique leaf-list

  -> ready to be discussed?

* OPEN :Y58: associate actions with a data node

  -> NETCONF seems to support a NACM update to support actions, call
     ending on 2015-01-22; if NETCONF supports the update, can we move
     this to EDIT (Andy raised the NACM update is required argument
     during VRFY)

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>