Subject: [netmod] VRFY :12: initialized-by system

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 16:41:19 +0200

Hi,

Martin proposed to move this issue to DEAD instead of implementing
Y12-01 since it became clear that the proposed new statement only
covers part of the problem. Please speak up by Friday 2015-04-10 if
you disagree with this proposal.

For more details, see the issues list and the virtual interim meeting
minutes available here:

     http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/netmod/yang-1.1/

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 08:51:45 -0700

Juergen/Martin,

The solution mentions a similar issue with passwd of type crypt-hash. Not clear what that issue was.

On a slightly different note, if a configuration wanted to set a password, but did not want it displayed on a <get>, or displayed with ‘******’, is there a way to specify that today?

> On Apr 1, 2015, at 7:41 AM, Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

Mahesh Jethanandani
[email-masked]

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 17:58:34 +0200

I am not sure, are you agreeing with declaring Y12 DEAD or not?

/js

---

From: Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 18:21:42 +0000

I am agreeing that Y12 can be declared dead, if a clear solution cannot be
provided. But I did want to say that having the capability would be nice.
E.g. MTU set on a interface could be learnt from the system rather than
having the user specify it.

I was also seeking clarification on what was the similarity with passwd of
type crypt-hash. The system will set a value for passwd??

On Apr 1, 2015, at 8:58 AM, Juergen Schoenwaelder <
[email-masked]> wrote:

/js

Juergen/Martin,

The solution mentions a similar issue with passwd of type crypt-hash. Not
clear what that issue was.

On a slightly different note, if a configuration wanted to set a password,
but did not want it displayed on a <get>, or displayed with ‘******’, is
there a way to specify that today?

On Apr 1, 2015, at 7:41 AM, Juergen Schoenwaelder <
[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi,

/js

Mahesh Jethanandani
[email-masked]

Mahesh Jethanandani
[email-masked]

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 20:55:49 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

> having the user specify it.

This use case (MTU) should likely not be modelled w/ initialized-by
system; the way it would be done is that if the user doesn't configure
it, the system uses some value operationally - but it does not modify
the configuration with this value, which initialized-by system would
indicate.

> type crypt-hash. The system will set a value for passwd??

If the user sends a clear text value for crypt-hash, the server will
calculate the hash and store the hased value in the configuration.
This is similar to initialized-by system in that the server doesn't
store exactly what the user provided.

/martin

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 23:03:54 +0200

> the configuration with this value, which initialized-by system would

Exactly, this example has nothing to do with Y12.
 
> store exactly what the user provided.

Yes. The details are in the crypt-hash typedef defined in RFC 7317.

/js

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 20:44:50 +0200

> you disagree with this proposal.

Since there were no comments against moving this to DEAD on the
mailing list, I have moved this issue to DEAD.

/js