Subject: [Notifications] Scope question: SIP or more, non-messaging events

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:22:19 -0400

As those of you who were in the SIMPLE and SIPPING meeting know, I  
discussed the use of SIP for non-presence/non-session-related events  
and set up a mailing list, blissfully ignorant of this particular  
effort.

Thus, my question:

- Is this effort here about message (email/voicemail) notification only?

- Is the discussion restricted to using SIP, or create a new  
application-specific protocol or generic event payloads that can be  
used for a variety of event notification mechanisms, including, very  
broadly construed, XMPP, SMS, email and web services event notification?

(The effort I mentioned was focusing more on events related to the  
physical world, such as emergency alerts, security alerts, events  
related to vehicles, or medical monitoring.)

Henning

_______________________________________________
Notifications mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/notifications

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:07:28 -0400

You are in the right place!

Lemonade ([email-masked]) is the place where we are discussing message
notification (email/voicemail/mms).  Lemonade most likely will NOT be
choosing an endpoint transport protocol, as our largest customer (OMA) will
be doing something completely non-IETF-like, like SMS.

Notifications ([email-masked]) is the place where we are discussing
general message notification technology.

At the Applications Area General Meeting, there was discussion about forming
a Notifications BOF in Chicago.  I'll let the AD's and our esteemed IAB
member (Barry) pipe in on that.

> related to vehicles, or medical monitoring.)

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.