Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Protocol Action: 'Authentication Method Reference Values' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-oauth-amr-values-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 10:47:09 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Authentication Method Reference Values'
  (draft-ietf-oauth-amr-values-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Web Authorization Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Kathleen Moriarty and Eric Rescorla.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-amr-values/

Technical Summary

   The "amr" (Authentication Methods References) claim is defined and
   registered in the IANA "JSON Web Token Claims" registry but no
   standard Authentication Method Reference values are currently
   defined.  This specification establishes a registry for
   Authentication Method Reference values and defines an initial set of
   Authentication Method Reference values.

Working Group Summary

   The working group had solid consensus, no issues.

Document Quality

A number of implementations exist and include:
Implementations of the OpenID Mobile Authentication Profile, 
which is defined by the MODRNA working group, use “amr” values.
This includes all the GSMA Mobile Connect deployments.

Microsoft Azure Active Directory and Microsoft Active Directory 
Federation Services (ADFS) use “amr” values.

Google’s identity provider uses “amr” values.

There is one downref noted in the shepherd report and last call announcement:
The following document is a non-IETF document that may require a downward
reference: 

   [OpenID.Core]
              Sakimura, N., Bradley, J., Jones, M., de Medeiros, B., and
              C. Mortimore, "OpenID Connect Core 1.0", November 2014,
              <http://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-core-1_0.html>.

Personnel

Hannes Tschofenig is the document shepherd and the responsible area 
director is Kathleen Moriarty. 

 If the document requires IANA
   experts(s), insert 'The IANA Expert(s) for the registries
   in this document are John Bradley, Brian Campbell,
   Michael B. Jones, and Chuck Mortimore.  The DEs match
   that of the IANA "JSON Web Token Claims" registry 
   [IANA.JWT.Claims]

IANA Note

 The document creates a new registry for Authentication Method Reference 
(AMR) values and populates the registry with an initial set of values.  
Values are registered on an Expert Review [RFC5226] basis after a
 three-week review period on the [email-masked] mailing list,
 on the advice of one or more Designated Experts.