Subject: [Sandbox-mailoutput] [Django development] Internal WG Review: IPv6 Operations (v6ops)

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 10:25:52 -0700

The attached message would have been sent, but the tracker is in development mode.
It was not sent to anybody.

Subject: Internal WG Review: IPv6 Operations (v6ops)
From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
To: "The IESG" <[email-masked]>, "The IAB" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 10:25:52 -0700

A new charter for the IPv6 Operations (v6ops) WG in the Operations and
Management Area of the IETF is being considered.  The draft charter for
this WG is provided below for your review and comment.

Review time is one week.

The IETF Secretariat

IPv6 Operations (v6ops)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
  Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
  Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/v6ops/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-v6ops/

The global deployment of IPv6 is underway, creating an Internet
consisting of IPv4-only, IPv6-only, IPv4-IPv6 dual-stack, and
IPv6+translation networks and nodes. This deployment must be properly
handled to avoid the division of the Internet into separate IPv4 and
IPv6 networks, ensuring addressing and connectivity for all IPv4 and
IPv6 nodes.  An important aspect of that has been the shutdown of IPv4
in some networks, which has resulted in innovations in network
operation.

The IPv6 Operations Working Group (v6ops) develops guidelines for the
deployment and operation of new and existing IPv6 networks.  The goals
of the v6ops working group are:

1. Solicit input from network operators and users to identify
operational issues with IPv6 networks, and determine solutions or
workarounds to those issues.

2. Solicit input from network operators and users to identify
operational interaction issues with the IPv4 networks, and determine
solutions or workarounds to those issues.

3. Solicit discussion and documentation of the issues and opportunities
in IPv6-only operation, and of the resulting innovations.

4. Operational solutions for identified issues should be developed in
v6ops and documented in informational or BCP drafts.

These documents should document IPv6 operational experience, including
interactions with IPv4, in dual stack networks, IPv6 networks with IPv4
delivered as an overlay or translation service, or IPv6-only networks.

IPv6 operational and deployment issues with specific protocols or
technologies (such as Applications, Transport Protocols, Routing
Protocols, DNS or Sub-IP Protocols) are the primary responsibility of
the groups or areas responsible for those protocols or
technologies. However, the v6ops Working Group may provide input to
those areas/groups, as needed, and cooperate with those areas/groups in
reviewing solutions to IPv6 operational and deployment problems.

Future work items within this scope will be adopted by the Working Group
only if there is a substantial expression of interest from the community
and if the work clearly does not fit elsewhere in the IETF.

There must be a continuous expression of interest for the Working Group
to work on a particular work item. If there is no longer sufficient
interest in the Working Group in a work item, the item may be removed
from the list of Working Group items.

Milestones: