Subject: RE: [Simple] Message Sessions: msrp: URI issues

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 21:03:12 -0500

Ben Campbell [mailto:[email-masked]] writes:

> The only concern I have is, as you mention, the endpoint configuration
> case, where a user may have to tell the endpoint about a relay.

Appealing to common usage, pull up your favorite software that
requires configuration of a server. Say, configuration of a
proxy for your http client. Or the POP server for your mail
client.

Entering a machine name and a port number is part of accepted
user experience. And, since you really only do it once, attempts
to make it particularly mnemonic -- especially those with a
performance penalty associated with them -- seem a bit odd.

> There
> might be some advantage here to allowing the endpoint to discover the
> relay from the domain name, using a NAPTR/SRV/A series. Of 
> course, that
> seems rather heavy weight for use in session negotiation.

I certainly don't want to be doing a NAPTR then SRV then A
lookup just to find my local MSRP relay. That's precisely why I
suggested using A and/or AAAA records directly.

/a
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple