Subject: [Simple] 487 Request Cancelled

From: Charles Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:01:28 -0700

"draft-roach-sip-subscribe-notify-03.txt" page 9:

     For the purposes of generality, both SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY MAY be
     canceled; however, doing so is not recommended. Successfully
     cancelled SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY requests MUST be completed with a
     "487 Request Cancelled" response; the server acts as if the
     request were never received. In general, since neither SUBSCRIBE
     nor NOTIFY are allowed to have protracted transactions, attempts
     to cancel them are expected to fail.

Can anyone explain to me that why to use a 4xx reponse code to indicate a
successful request (to cancel SUBSCRIBE or NOTIFY)? Doesn't a 2xx class
response code make more sense? In this case, a "287 Request Cancelled
Successfully" might be more straightforward than a "487 Request Cancelled".

Comments?

Thanks,
Charles

---

From: "Bob Penfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:17:35 -0400

This language may be a bit confusing. You can only send the CANCEL if the
server is still processing the SUBSCRIBE or NOTIFY request (i.e. it has not
sent a response). The CANCEL will get a 200 OK. The server should then
response with 487 to the cancelled SUBSCRIBE or NOTIFY request.

Bob
d:-)

Robert F. Penfield
Chief Software Architect
Acme Packet, Inc.
130 New Boston Street
Woburn, MA 01801
[email-masked]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Chen" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 5:01 PM
Subject: [Simple] 487 Request Cancelled

> _______________________________________________
> simple mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple
>