Subject: [Simple] revised SIMPLE charter - comments?

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 03:53:17 -0500

Folks,

Enclosed is a proposed revision to the charter of the SIMPLE working group.
Most of the changes reflected in this version concern the new direction
towards architecting a complete buddylist-style instant messaging
application. We'd welcome any comments or suggestions on the text or
deliverables below.

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.
SIMPLE co-chair

-----

SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions (simple) 

Chair(s):
Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Director(s): 
Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Patrik Faltstrom <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Advisor: 
Patrik Faltstrom <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists: 
General Discussion:[email-masked] 
To Subscribe: http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple 
Archive: Archive: http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/pipermail/simple 

Description of Working Group: 

This working group focuses on the application of the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP, RFC 3261) to the suite of services collectively known as
instant messaging and presence (IMP). The IETF has committed to producing an
interoperable standard for these services compliant to the requirements for
IM
outlined in RFC 2779 (including the security and privacy requirements there)
and in the Common Presence and Instant Messaging (CPIM) specification,
developed
within the IMPP working group. As the most common services for which SIP is
used 
share quite a bit in common with IMP, the adaptation of SIP to IMP seems a 
natural choice given the widespread support for (and relative maturity of)
the 
SIP standard. 

The primary work of this group will be to generate: 

1. A proposed standard SIP extension documenting the transport of Instant
Messages in SIP, compliant to the requirements for IM outlined in RFC 2779,
CPIM and in BCP 41 (so that the transport implications of the extension 
with respect to network congestion are considered in the design). 

2. A proposed standard SIP event package and any related protocol 
mechanisms used to support presence, compliant to the requirements for 
presence outlined in RFC 2779 and CPIM. 

3. An architecture for the implementation of a traditional buddylist-
based instant messaging and presence application with SIP, including for
example new mechanisms for message confirmation delivery, indications for
when 
a party is in the process of typing a message, secure buddylist manipulation

operations, and the extension of the CPIM presence format to describe
typical 
IM states.

All SIMPLE proposals fulfilling these goals must document the mappings of 
their operation to CPIM. Any SIP extensions proposed in the course of this 
development will, after a last call process, be transferred to the SIP WG 
for consideration as formal SIP extensions.

The working group will work within the framework for presence and IM
described in RFC 2778. The extensions it defines must also be compliant with
the SIP processes for extensions. The group cannot modify baseline SIP
behavior or define a new version of SIP for IM and presence. If the group
determines that any capabilities requiring an extension to SIP are needed,
the group will seek to define such extensions within the SIP working group, 
and then use them here. 

The working group will operate in close cooperation with the IMPP working
group, which will be completing CPIM in parallel. The working group will
also cooperate with any other groups defined to standardize other presence
and IM systems, to ensure maximum sharing of information and avoid
reinvention of the wheel. The working group will cooperate with the SIP
working group, soliciting reviews to ensure its extensions meet SIPs
requirements. The working group will also collaborate with the SIP WG to
ensure consistent operation of the SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY methods across
the other applications being defined for its use. 

Goals and Milestones:
Apr 02    Submission of event package for presence to IESG for publication 
as Proposed Standard
May 02    Submission of watcher information drafts to IESG for publication 
as Proposed Standards
Jun 02    Submission of CPIM mapping draft to IESG for publication as 
Informational
Jun 02    Submission of instant messaging session drafts to IESG for 
publication as Proposed Standards
Jul 02    Submission of buddylist package set to IESG for publication as 
Proposed Standards
Jul 02    Submission of buddylist auth/modify requirements draft to IESG 
for publication as Informational
Aug 02    Submission of SIMPLE PIDF profile to IESG for publication as 
Proposed Standard
Aug 02    Submission of advanced messaging requirements draft to IESG for 
publication as Informational
Sep 02    Submission of Presence/IM System Architecture draft to IESG for 
publication as Informational