Subject: [Simple] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-message-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:10:50 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Session Initiation Protocol Extension for Instant 
                          Messaging
	Author(s)	: B. Campbell, J. Rosenberg
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sip-message-06.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 25-Jul-02
	
Instant Messageing (IM) refers to the transfer of messages between
users in near real-time.  These messages are usually, but not
required to be, short.  IMs are often used in a conversational mode,
that is, the transfer of messages back and forth is fast enough for
participants to maintain an interactive conversation.
The MESSAGE method is an extension to the Session Initation Protocol
(SIP) that allows the transfer of Instant Messages.  MESSAGE requests
carry the content in the form of MIME body parts.  MESSAGE requests
do not themselves initiate a SIP dialog; under normal usage each
Instant Message stands alone, much like pager messages.  MESSAGE
requests may be sent in the context of a dialog initiated by some
other SIP request.
Since the MESSAGE request is an extension to SIP it inherits all the
request routing and security features of that protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-message-06.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sip-message-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-message-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.