Subject: RE: [Simple] Status summary

From: "Adrian Bateman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 07:11:57 +0100

I'm not sure I agree that closed is closed and everything else should be
open, but I certainly agree about trying to overload two different
concepts into the status field. PIDF supports multiple status values so
in a sense, that isn't a problem, but hence my suggestion that you let
basic hold OPEN/CLOSED and have an IM status that simply agrees a common
vocabulary of the states that a person may wish to describe about
themselves. How those values get set is a matter for the local agent,
for example, whether the agent automatically sets "away" after a period
of inactivity.

Adrian.

On 15 May 2002 02:07, Christian Huitema wrote:
> Short summary: closed is closed; everything else ought to be a 
> variation of "open".
> 
> I have the impression that we are trying to overload two different 
> concepts in the "status" field: on one hand, information on what we 
> know about the person, e.g. busy or not, ready to take a phone call or

> not, and on the other hand information about the presence agent, i.e. 
> connected to the network or not. Obviously, there is some relation: in

> the absence of any presence agent, the best we can state is some 
> variation of "off-line" -- i.e. "closed". On the other hand, every 
> information about the status of a person is a shade of gray: I may be 
> on the phone but still willing to read your IM; I may be out to lunch,

> but my agent is capable of filling up for me; I may have placed a 
> do-not-disturb sign on my door, but my agent may me authorize to still

> disturb me if some really important event happens.
> 
> -- Christian Huitema
> 
>

---

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 18:07:34 -0700

Short summary: closed is closed; everything else ought to be a variation
of "open".

I have the impression that we are trying to overload two different
concepts in the "status" field: on one hand, information on what we know
about the person, e.g. busy or not, ready to take a phone call or not,
and on the other hand information about the presence agent, i.e.
connected to the network or not. Obviously, there is some relation: in
the absence of any presence agent, the best we can state is some
variation of "off-line" -- i.e. "closed". On the other hand, every
information about the status of a person is a shade of gray: I may be on
the phone but still willing to read your IM; I may be out to lunch, but
my agent is capable of filling up for me; I may have placed a
do-not-disturb sign on my door, but my agent may me authorize to still
disturb me if some really important event happens.

-- Christian Huitema