Subject: RE: [Simple] 200 vs. 202

From: "Brian Stucker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:28:53 -0500

I just ran across this same question myself...

I think your interpretation is correct if you correlate the presence draft
with the events framework draft.

Additionally, maybe the wording in section 3, last paragraph to should be
changed remove the 
requirement that if a 202 is sent back, the notifier must also always send
back a NOTIFY as well? 

According to section 5.1.7.2 of the -00 events framework draft, if a 202 is
sent back, the NOTIFY 
acts as an implicit 200. So sending 202 followed by a NOTIFY is as good as
just sending the 200 in the first
place, which defeats the purpose of having the 202 altogether. Otherwise,
you'd get a 200 out of the blue,
and I'm sure that's not what's intended at all. I think that breaks the
rules of SIP at the very least. 

Regards,

Brian Stucker
Nortel Networks

-----Original Message-----
From: Moran Tim (NET/Dallas) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 12:17 PM
To: simple
Subject: [Simple] 200 vs. 202

The Simple presence draft Section 3 states,  "Once authorized, the
presence agent sends a 202 Accepted response.".  It also states that the
PA sends an immediate  Notify message.   Section 5.7 states,  "Pending
occurs when the server cannot obtain authorization ... a pending
subscription generates a 202 Accepted response". 

For the case of pending authorization,  what is sent 200 or 202? 

Section  5.7 states that an accepted subscription generates a 200. Now
if a PA sends a 202 (and an immediate Notify) and the user later
authorizes the subscription (e.g. manually), is it to send a 200???
This doesn't make since given 2543 uses the term "final" response for
2XX and above. 

I think some of the answer is that Section 3 is in error and that a 202
is sent by a PA or a 200 but not both. If a 202 is sent, the Notify is
not sent until authorization occurs (i.e. does not have to be
immediately). If authorization can occur immediately, a 200 is sent
immediately followed by a Notify.  Am I close to right?

Relating to forked subscriptions (5.10), what happens if one of the
subscribed-to PAs can authorize and wants to send a 200? Does it instead
send a 202 and immediately send a Notify?  That is, forked-to PAs are
not allowed to send 200? I presume the PA can tell the request has been
forked.

Tim Moran

_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple