Subject: [Simple] MESSAGE with MSN Messenger

From: "Seonman Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:31:16 -0700

Hi,
First of all, I would like to thank you all who replied to my former
question on NOTIFY with MSN messenger.
With your helps, I could successfully use Messenger using SUBSCRIBE and
NOTIFY.

Now, I have another problem, and it is MESSAGE request with MSN messenger.
I tested to send IM messages using the messenger, and I found the IM in
Messenger behaves differently from SIMPLE specification.
The followings are what I found with MSN messenger when sending IM.

- The first MESSAGE request creates a dialog with Record-Route header. The
subsequent MESSAGE request uses Route header field within the same dialog
and incremented CSeq number.
- When a user typing characters, a INFO request message is sent within the
same dialog. INFO message contains XML body that indicates the user is
typing.
- When a user close the window, BYE message is sent to the counterpart
within the same dialog.

I attach the SIP messages generated during the IM session.

Even with these messages traffic, the callee (recipient) messenger did not
show anything (did not show IM notification, windows, at all.), even if it
answered 200 OK responses for every MESSAGE, INFO, and BYE message. It was
really weird.
I have no idea why the messenger didn't show anything, and I am just
suspicious that MSN messenger's Communication Services Options was not
properly implemented as designed.

If anyone knows about this problem, please let me know. It would be a great
help.

One more question: does anybody know what "msgr" tag means in Content-Type
header field in MESSAGE request?

Thanks,
Seonman
--- SIP messages ---------
[Messenger A (seonman) to Proxy at 206.xxx.xxx.203]
MESSAGE sip:[email-masked] SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967
From: "seonman"
<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1edb
To: <sip:[email-masked]>
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 1 MESSAGE
Contact: <sip:172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=UTF-8;msgr=WAAtAE0ATQBTAC0ASQBNAC0ARgBvAHIAbQ
BhAHQAOgAgAEYATgA9AE0AaQBjAHIAbwBzAG8AZgB0ACUAMgAwAFMAYQBuAHMAJQAyADAAUwBlAH
IAa
QBmADsAIABFAEYAPQA7ACAAQwBPAD0AMAA7ACAAQwBTAD0AMAA7ACAAUABGAD0AMgAyAA0ACgANA
AoA
Content-Length: 2

Hi
------------
[Proxy to Messenger B (smkim320) at 192.168.1.12]
MESSAGE sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bK15c8f59bcda0cd8b4d357144186e027e.4
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bK9248414244a5bb33e17ab36fbe55da12.2
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;rport;received=206.xxx.xxx.100
To: <sip:[email-masked]>
From:
"seonman"<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1
edb
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 1 MESSAGE
Max-Forwards: 69
Record-Route:
<sip:[email-masked]:5060;maddr=206.xxx.xxx.203>,<sip:smkim320@206.
xxx.xxx.203:5060;maddr=206.xxx.xxx.203>
Contact: <sip:172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Type:
text/plain;charset=UTF-8;msgr=WAAtAE0ATQBTAC0ASQBNAC0ARgBvAHIAbQB
hAHQAOgAgAEYATgA9AE0AaQBjAHIAbwBzAG8AZgB0ACUAMgAwAFMAYQBuAHMAJQAyADAAUwBlAHI
AaQ
BmADsAIABFAEYAPQA7ACAAQwBPAD0AMAA7ACAAQwBTAD0AMAA7ACAAUABGAD0AMgAyAA0ACgANAA
oA
Content-Length: 2

Hi
----------
[Messenger B to Proxy]
SIP/2.0 200 OK
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bK15c8f59bcda0cd8b4d357144186e027e.4
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bK9248414244a5bb33e17ab36fbe55da12.2
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;rport;received=206.xxx.xxx.100
From:
"seonman"<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1
edb
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 1 MESSAGE
Record-Route: <sip:[email-masked]:5060;maddr=206.xxx.xxx.203>
Record-Route: <sip:[email-masked]:5060;maddr=206.xxx.xxx.203>
Contact: <sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Length: 0
------
[Proxy to Messenger A]
SIP/2.0 200 OK
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;rport;received=206.xxx.xxx.100
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
From:
"seonman"<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1
edb
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 1 MESSAGE
Record-Route:
<sip:[email-masked]:5060;maddr=206.xxx.xxx.203>,<sip:smkim320@206.
xxx.xxx.203:5060;maddr=206.xxx.xxx.203>
Contact: <sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Length: 0
----
[Messenger A to Proxy]
INFO sip:[email-masked]:5060 SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967
From: "seonman"
<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1edb
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 2 INFO
Route: <sip:[email-masked]:5060;maddr=206.xxx.xxx.203>
Route: <sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp>
Contact: <sip:172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Type: application/xml
Content-Length: 96

<?xml version="1.0"?> <KeyboardActivity> <status status="type" />
</KeyboardActivity>
-----
[Proxy to Message B]
INFO sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bK358edf072c6ede295aec9bd448769303.4
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bK179906ba2110173b588bb618634708c2.2
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;rport;received=206.xxx.xxx.100
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
From:
"seonman"<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1
edb
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 2 INFO
Max-Forwards: 69
Contact: <sip:172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Type: application/xml
Content-Length: 96

<?xml version="1.0"?> <KeyboardActivity> <status status="type" />
</KeyboardActivity>
--------------------
[Messenger B to Proxy]
SIP/2.0 200 OK
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bK358edf072c6ede295aec9bd448769303.4
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bK179906ba2110173b588bb618634708c2.2
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;rport;received=206.xxx.xxx.100
From:
"seonman"<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1
edb
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 2 INFO
Contact: <sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Length: 0
--------------
[Proxy to Messenger A]
SIP/2.0 200 OK
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;rport;received=206.xxx.xxx.100
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
From:
"seonman"<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1
edb
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 2 INFO
Contact: <sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Length: 0
-----
[Messenger A to Proxy]
MESSAGE sip:[email-masked]:5060 SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967
From: "seonman"
<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1edb
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 4 MESSAGE
Route: <sip:[email-masked]:5060;maddr=206.xxx.xxx.203>
Route: <sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp>
Contact: <sip:172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=UTF-8;msgr=WAAtAE0ATQBTAC0ASQBNAC0ARgBvAHIAbQ
BhAHQAOgAgAEYATgA9AE0AaQBjAHIAbwBzAG8AZgB0ACUAMgAwAFMAYQBuAHMAJQAyADAAUwBlAH
IAa
QBmADsAIABFAEYAPQA7ACAAQwBPAD0AMAA7ACAAQwBTAD0AMAA7ACAAUABGAD0AMgAyAA0ACgANA
AoA
Content-Length: 4

Hi2.
----
[Proxy to Messenger B]
MESSAGE sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp SIP/2.0^M
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bKb7fede42ac653625717eadd49859075e.4
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bKd43a1aaa4b390cbf1e47f6f867ed6b10.2
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;rport;received=206.xxx.xxx.100
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
From:
"seonman"<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1
edb
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 4 MESSAGE
Max-Forwards: 69
Contact: <sip:172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Type:
text/plain;charset=UTF-8;msgr=WAAtAE0ATQBTAC0ASQBNAC0ARgBvAHIAbQB
hAHQAOgAgAEYATgA9AE0AaQBjAHIAbwBzAG8AZgB0ACUAMgAwAFMAYQBuAHMAJQAyADAAUwBlAHI
AaQ
BmADsAIABFAEYAPQA7ACAAQwBPAD0AMAA7ACAAQwBTAD0AMAA7ACAAUABGAD0AMgAyAA0ACgANAA
oA
Content-Length: 4

Hi2.
----------
[Messenger B to Proxy]
SIP/2.0 200 OK
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bKb7fede42ac653625717eadd49859075e.4
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bKd43a1aaa4b390cbf1e47f6f867ed6b10.2
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;rport;received=206.xxx.xxx.100
From:
"seonman"<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1
edb
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 4 MESSAGE
Contact: <sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Length: 0
---------
[Proxy to Messenger A]
SIP/2.0 200 OK
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;rport;received=206.xxx.xxx.100
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
From:
"seonman"<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1
edb
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 4 MESSAGE
Contact: <sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Length: 0
----
[Messenger A to Proxy]
BYE sip:[email-masked]:5060 SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967
From: "seonman"
<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1edb
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 5 BYE
Route: <sip:[email-masked]:5060;maddr=206.xxx.xxx.203>
Route: <sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp>
Contact: <sip:172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Length: 0
----
[Proxy to Messenger B]
BYE sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bK731a0b999804a0b32c65648301642612.4
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bK45d61c916a23a7d209ce7d9f0148af6a.2
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;rport;received=206.xxx.xxx.100
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
From:
"seonman"<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1
edb
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 5 BYE
Max-Forwards: 69
Contact: <sip:172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Length: 0
-----
[Messenger B to Proxy]
SIP/2.0 200 OK
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bK731a0b999804a0b32c6564830162612.4
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP
206.xxx.xxx.203:5060;branch=z9hG4bK45d61c916a23a7d209ce7d9f0148af6a.2
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;rport;received=206.xxx.xxx.100
From:
"seonman"<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1
edb
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 5 BYE
Contact: <sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Length: 0
----
[Proxy to Messenger A]
SIP/2.0 200 OK
Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.xxx.xxx.64:6967;rport;received=206.xxx.xxx.100
To: <sip:[email-masked]>;tag=e860ba65-60e3-436b-8f2f-787a657e4ddd
From:
"seonman"<sip:[email-masked]>;tag=4f21c593-6bbf-494d-bbf4-b689f25d1
edb
Call-ID: [email-masked]
CSeq: 5 BYE
Contact: <sip:192.168.1.12:13085;transport=tcp>
User-Agent: Windows RTC/1.0
Content-Length: 0