Subject: [Simple] We're back online!

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 01:09:12 -0400

Folks,

Many of you have probably noticed that the simple list was unavailable for
the last day or two. My sincere apologies for this. Turns out, the machine
sits on a public network with T1 access from some ISP called OnSite. Well,
they went bankrupt and cut service without notifying us. So, we had to move
the machine to another net, and change the IP addresses. The DNS changes
took some time to get configured, and then we needed to wait for the TTLs to
expire. We're now back online.

Two major outages in a few weeks is definitely embarassing, but these were
for totally unrelated reasons, and now that both are resolved, operation
should be good.

Please repost any mails that bounced back during the outage. Once again, my
apologies.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com