Subject: RE: [Simple] Thoughts on uploading authorization documents

From: Neil Deason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 04:50:20 -0400

XML is a markup language that allows you to define your
own tags and attributes. 'Plain XML' is never going to be
that useful. Typically you use XML to build something
else, e.g. CPL, which is then defined by a XML schema.
SOAP is a pre-defined and extensible XML vocabulary for
describing generic messages. These SOAP messages can be
specified within WSDL.

Which is more desirable therefore depends on what you want
to do. What consensus there is about SOAP and SIP seems
to indicate that _if_ SIP should be able to carry SOAP then
defining a new method is the way to go about. SERVICE has
been floated in this context. As such it would be compatible
with, but not directly part of, SIMPLE. The SIPPING list
is probably the most appropriate forum for discussion of
this topic.

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Ubiquity Software Corporation, UK        http://www.ubiquity.net

David,

I hope you could explain why SOAP is more desirable than plain XML in
SIMPLE context:
1) what do we have with it ?
2) what do we miss without it ?

Thank you

---

From: "Francois-Frederic Ozog" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:17:25 +0200

Thanks Neil,

I agree that SOAP is very powerful. When I see WSDL descriptions such as the
one following the one attached, I cannot do but think that SIP payloads will
become very big and the computing resources needed to handle them may be to
important.

As Jonathan said, the group does not focus on architecture and a presence
agent may end-up in a PDA. As the size of SOAP client for Windows is already
1.5MB
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/code/sample.asp?url=/m
sdn-files/027/001/580/msdncompositedoc.xml), I am quite concerned about
keeping SIMPLE ubiquitous (from server to PDA). Alternatively, the group
could drop some design goals like the mobility of the Presence Agent.

What do you think?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<definitions name="net.xmethods.services.currencyexchange.CurrencyExchange"
targetNamespace="http://www.themindelectric.com/wsdl/
net.xmethods.services.currencyexchange.CurrencyExchange/"
xmlns:tns="http://www.themindelectric.com/wsdl/
net.xmethods.services.currencyexchange.CurrencyExchange/"
xmlns:electric="http://www.themindelectric.com/"
xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/"
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
xmlns:wsdl="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/"
xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/">

<message name="getRateRequest1">
  <part name="country1" type="xsd:string" />
  <part name="country2" type="xsd:string" />
</message>
<message name="getRateResponse1">
  <part name="Result" type="xsd:float" />
</message>
<portType name="net.xmethods.services.
currencyexchange.CurrencyExchangePortType">
  <operation name="getRate" parameterOrder="country1 country2">
    <input message="tns:getRateRequest1" />
    <output message="tns:getRateResponse1" />
  </operation>
</portType>
<binding
name="net.xmethods.services.currencyexchange.CurrencyExchangeBinding"
type="tns:net.xmethods.services.currencyexchange.CurrencyExchangePortType">
<soap:binding style="rpc"
transport="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http" />
  <operation name="getRate">
  <soap:operation soapAction="urn:xmethods-CurrencyExchange#getRate" />
    <input>
      <soap:body use="encoded" namespace="urn:xmethods-CurrencyExchange"
      encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" />
    </input>
    <output>
      <soap:body use="encoded" namespace="urn:xmethods-CurrencyExchange"
      encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" />
    </output>
  </operation>
</binding>
<service
name="net.xmethods.services.currencyexchange.CurrencyExchangeService">
  <documentation>
  net.xmethods.services.currencyexchange.CurrencyExchange web service
  </documentation>
  <port name="net.xmethods.services.currencyexchange.CurrencyExchangePort"
  binding="tns:net.xmethods.services.currencyexchange.
  CurrencyExchangeBinding">
    <soap:address location="http://206.135.115.109:9090/soap" />
  </port>
</service>
</definitions>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Deason" <[email-masked]>
To: "Francois-Frederic Ozog" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 10:50 AM
Subject: RE: [Simple] Thoughts on uploading authorization documents

> is probably the most appropriate forum for discussion of

______________________________________________________________________________
ifrance.com, l'email gratuit le plus complet de l'Internet !
vos emails depuis un navigateur, en POP3, sur Minitel, sur le WAP...
http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/email.emailif