Subject: RE: [Simple] 200 vs. 202

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:35:26 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Stucker [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 4:35 AM
To: Jonathan Rosenberg; 'James Undery'; Robert Sparks; 'Moran Tim
(NET/Dallas)'; 'Ngo, Dai (c)'; 'Brazier Lachlan'; 'adam.roach'; 'ext Paul
Kyzivat'
Cc: 'simple'
Subject: RE: [Simple] 200 vs. 202

>Seems dangerous to allow the watcher to take NOTIFY messages that it didn't
get the 2xx 
>response for. What is the watcher going to do if the notifications that it
receives don't 
>mesh, ie.:
>- one PA says a contact is online, the other says it's offline? 

You shouldn't be receiving presence data for the same contact from two
different PUA. In fact, each PUA would generate a presence document with
tuples with distinct id's. Since the id's are chosen randomly, you'd have to
actively be trying to cause an overlap to occur.

>- a PA says the subscription is pending, and is an aggregator of the PUA's,
but another PA 
>says the subscription is active, and is not an aggregator?

There would be multiple active subscriptions, one for each PA which
generated a NOTIFY.

>I think you need to have some sort of order of precedence for the watcher
to be able to 
>process the notifications correctly. Before your order of precedence rules
were pretty 
>simple: if the tags match, take it, otherwise don't. Now, you've opened
yourself up to all 
>sorts of new complexities.

All of this is covered under sip-events. I don't see any precedence issues.

>
>Hmmm... There's got to be a better way... 

The better way is to have aggregating presence agents. But, since we can't
guarantee that, I think this kind of treatment may be needed.

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

--- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave. 
Chief Scientist                             First Floor 
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936 
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050 
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000 
http://www.dynamicsoft.com