Subject: [Simple] AOL chooses SIP!

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:15:11 -0400

Folks,

In case you haven't heard, it seems that AOL has chosen to go with SIP for
presence (SIMPLE) as part of its FCC mandate towards opening up its network.
You can read a press article about this at:

http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/07/23/010723hnaolmessanger.xm
l

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: "Zane Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:48:43 -0700

Jonathan,

> presence (SIMPLE) ...

SIMPLE is done already?

<quote>
"AOL has largely completed its development of the necessary technology, has
recently begun internal testing of that technology, and remains on schedule
to begin testing server-to-server interoperability with a leading technology
company later this summer," the report states.

...

AOL's interoperability framework builds upon the IETF's (Internet
Engineering Task Force) SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leverage
(SIMPLE) messaging protocol ...
</quote>

Hmm, "builds upon",  isn't there usually a red-flag attached to those words?
Does anyone here know what AOL did?

Zane

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 20:25:10 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Zane Thomas [mailto:[email-masked]]
> 
> <quote>
...
> Hmm, "builds upon",  isn't there usually a red-flag attached 

I spotted the exact same thing, even before reading your message.
That's typical newspeak for "embrace and extend." I'm not sure
this bodes well.

/a

---

From: "Scott Eikenberry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:35:03 -0700

From the FCC filing (http://www.fcc.gov/csb/aolim1.pdf) on AOL's progress
towards Instant Messaging Interoperability they give a very basic overview
of what they plan to extend. Here is the quote relating directly to SIMPLE.

<begin quote>
"Because the SIMPLE working group has not finalized these protocols,
however, AOL has had to resolve certain unsettled issues in the few
functionals areas where the working froup has yet to make its final
decisions. In particular, the comprehensive approach to interoperability AOL
is working to complete will specify:

* That IM systs may setablish dedicated, high-speed connections between
their networks, thereby minimizing any bandwidth-related threats to the
"instant" nature of IM;

* A quality of service level which participating systems shall perform; and

* A standardized approach to privacy and security, including measures to
protect users from spam and harassment."
<end quote>

--Scott

> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 6:25 PM
> To: 'Zane Thomas'; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Simple] AOL chooses SIP!
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> simple mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple
>

---

From: "Zane Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:06:58 -0700

Scott,

> >From the FCC filing (http://www.fcc.gov/csb/aolim1.pdf) ...

Thanks for the pointer, read it, too bad it was short on details.  Do you
know if details are available?

Zane

---

From: "Scott Eikenberry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 13:59:58 -0700

Sorry, I don't have the details. I have been hoping someone from AOL would
post them here.  Sure would be nice to see a detailed specification of their
extensions.

--Scott