Subject: RE: [Simple] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-simple-im-session-00.txt

From: "Sean Olson (EUS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:28:42 -0500

>- how does one negotiate a oneway session? Presumably if alice wants 
>  to receive but not sent, she can send the following in an invite:
>
>      m=message 5060 sip sip:alice@alicepc
>      a=recvonly
>
>  but what does bob send in return? perhaps something like:
>
>      m=message ??? sip ???
>      a=sendonly
>
>  And whatever this is, does it also work in an invite if the person
>  inviting wants to be sendonly? 

I'm curious what a one-way SIP signalling session would
mean? You can receive an INVITE, but not send the 200 OK?
No flame intended, I just don't understand the application
you are thinking of.

/sean

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:55:18 -0400

sendonly could be used by an automated device sending status
messages.

I might use recvonly when I will be away from my desk but
willing to have messages pile up to read when I return.
Of course this isn't much different than sendrecv with me
never actually sending. But the knowledge that I am recvonly
can be used by the other end to not expect a response.

Conversely, I could negotiate sendonly as an equivalent to
hold for voice calls.

	Paul

> "Sean Olson (EUS)" wrote:
>