Subject: [Simple] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-simple-presence-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 06:40:36 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SIP Extensions for Presence
	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg
	Filename	: draft-ietf-simple-presence-01.txt
	Pages		: 40
	Date		: 24-Jul-01
	
This document proposes an extension to SIP for subscriptions and
notifications of user presence. User presence is defined as the
willingness and ability of a user to communicate with other users on
the network. Historically, presence has been limited to 'on-line' and
'off-line' indicators; the notion of presence here is broader.
Subscriptions and notifications of user presence are supported by
defining an event package within the general SIP event notification
framework. This protocol is also compliant with the Common Presence
and Instant Messaging (CPIM) framework.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-presence-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-simple-presence-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-presence-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Ngo, Dai (c)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:29:54 +0000

Hi All,

In section 6.3 Uploading Presence Documents of this draft it states,
"Subsequent uploads replace the current active presence document". Does this
statement mean every time a  new REGISTER is received, it completely
replaces the current REGISTER info?

With a replacement (registration) process it facilitates the migration,
meaning making the migration of the PA easier. However it makes the
registration of additional devices (PAs) harder (one has to know up front
how many PAs to register).

Please help clarifying.

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 5:41 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Simple] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-simple-presence-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence
Leveraging Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

---

From: "Ngo, Dai (c)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:41:13 +0000

Hi All,

In the examples of the draft (draft-ietf-simple-presence-01.txt) the NOTIFY
request specifies Content-Type: application/xpidf+xml but the xml body does
not follow the draft "A Data Format for Presence Using XML"
(draft-rosenberg-impp-pidf-00.txt, expires December, 2000). There are
"presence entifyInfo" and "tuple destination" elements which were not
defined in the draft-rosenberg-impp-pidf-00.txt.

Which xml (DTD) format that the draft-ietf-simple-presence-01.txt follows?

Thanks.

-- Dai

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 5:41 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Simple] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-simple-presence-01.txt

	

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:02:54 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Ngo, Dai (c) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 11:41 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Simple] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-simple-presence-01.txt

>not follow the draft "A Data Format for Presence Using XML"
(draft-rosenberg-
>impp-pidf-00.txt, expires December, 2000). There are "presence entifyInfo"
and 
>"tuple destination" elements which were not defined in the draft-rosenberg-
>impp-pidf-00.txt.
>

The work on the presence document format is happening in impp. THere is a
current proposal for it:

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sugano-cpim-pidf-00.txt

this proposal includes both XML presence data, and also rfc822 metadata that
would go along with it. I happen to think we only need the presence doc,
since the transport (i.e., sip) would provide the rest. But, I seem to be
losing that battle in impp.

-Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com