Subject: [Simple] Charter revisions

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:42:31 -0500

Greetings to you all,
 
At the meeting in London we premiered a new version of the charter, and
received a few comments from various parties on its scope and deliverables.

Most significantly, the IESG has decreed that all proposals for the addition
of new methods to the SIP standard must be worked through the SIP WG. This
means that our current document detailing the MESSAGE method
(draft-ietf-simple-im-01) will have to go to the IESG through the SIP WG,
and that therefore our deliverables have changed to reflect this new target.
I don't believe that the content of the MESSAGE draft will require any
unforeseen modifications in order to transition out of the SIMPLE WG. Note
that this pertains only to the draft that defines the MESSAGE method; the
other drafts in the IM document set (draft-ietf-simple-im-session-00 and
draft-ietf-simple-im-sdp-00) will continue to be developed here in SIMPLE.

Also, if the definition of any new method is required for presence
publication, this too would become the prerogative of the SIP WG. I
understand that part of the reason why the IESG has moved method development
into the SIP WG is to ensure that each SIP extension doesn't develop its own
methods to address a generalizable problem; this suggests that a more
general approach to the problem of uploading configuration data from the
user agent to various servers may be favored. However, we have kept a
deliverable on our charter below to reflect any possible upload mechanism
work (some of which may transfer to the SIP WG) including a policy document
on the application of a general upload mechanism to the presence publication
problem.

Jonathan Rosenberg also suggested that we re-order things a bit, as
reflected below.

Aug 01    Submission of extension for presence to IESG
Sep 01    Transfer of MESSAGE definition draft to SIP WG
Sep 01    Submission of instant messaging session drafts to IESG
Oct 01    Submission of extensions for watcher information to IESG
Nov 01    Submission of extension for presence publication to IESG

Comments? Suggestions? We'd like to dispatch a final version of this revised
charter to the ADs for review before the end of the month.

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.
SIMPLE co-chair

---

From: "Roy, Radhika R, ALCTA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:37:24 -0400

Hi, Jon:

I believe that the SIMPLE WG did a very thorough analysis why the method
like MESSAGE is needed in SIP.

Following this example, we would expect that this group will do the same in
the future for any enhancements in SIP or other protocols.

I wonder whether the charter of this group will also include to develop the
requirements for any future enhancements that may be needed in SIP or
others. Moreover, the requirement documents will help the SIP or other WG
members to understand why new extensions are needed without starting the
debate all over again.

(By the way I do NOT mean that we have to do the same for the MESSAGE
method.)

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy 

-----Original Message-----
From: Peterson, Jon [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 10:43 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Simple] Charter revisions

Greetings to you all,

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.
SIMPLE co-chair
 
_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple