Subject: [Simple] RE: State labels (Was: notes from the SIMPLE components adhoc at IETF53)

From: "Jorge Lobo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:59:07 -0400

Paul and Henning,

I have been following your discussion on call preferences and
presence and I would like to offer an alternative view.

I have been working with PAM, the presence and availability
management standards being adopted by Parley and 3GPP,
(http://www.PAMForum.org).

In PAM there is a separation between "presence" and "availability".
Presence, as mention by Henning, in the IM world is set by the
user, but in many cases can be and will be automatically detected.
The presence of your cellular phone in the network is detected 
automatically.

What availability offers is a layer over presence where the subscriber
describes preferences on how to expose presence. Preference rules to
compute availability can be as simple as opt-in or out to publication of
presence as in current IM systems to extremely to extremely sophisticated
rules where the user can decide how to expose the information based on 
who is requesting the information, the time of the request, 
the location of the requester and the user, etc. - the bookie example is
one this more complicated examples.

In the case of PAM there is a minimal set of controls that a presence
server should provide as an implementation of availability, but it is
left open to the different implementations how sophisticated the
computation of availability can be.

A similar approach here may solve many of your problems.

Regards,

Jorge.

------------------------
Jorge Lobo, Ph.D.
Principal Architect
Teltier Technologies
60 Walnut Avenue, #300
Clark, NJ 07066
mailto:[email-masked]
------------------------

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:12:27 -0400

Jorge,

I just took a quick look at the PAM specification.

While it would take a much longer look to fully understand the mappings, I agree that there does seem to be some commonality here.

	Paul

---

From: "Jorge Lobo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:53:46 -0400

A quick mapping from some of the concepts of PAM to SIMPLE.

PAM is based on Identities, and Identities have Agents
associated with them.  Agents are electronic representations
of (software or hardware) devices. Agents are the producers
of "raw" presence, and the presence of an Identity is derived
from the devices the Identity owns.

Identities  ---> Presentities
Agents      ---> Presence User Agent

Some applications may have direct access to presence but most
applications will be allowed only access to availability.

The basic API calls from PAM relevant to SIMPLE are

set and get presence

set and get preferences

get availability

One more thing.  There is a special class of presence data associated
with agents in PAM called capabilities - given that the capabilities of
an agent (Presence User Agent) can vary with time. For example, a capability
can be J2ME-cable, an attribute of the capability can be
communicationAddress
which can be a dynamic IP address assigned to the agent for communication.

Best,

Jorge.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Kyzivat [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 7:12 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: State labels (Was: notes from the SIMPLE components adhoc
at IETF53)

Jorge,

While it would take a much longer look to fully understand the mappings, I
agree that there does seem to be some commonality here.

	Paul