Subject: [Simple] Mobility control for NGN environment

From: "Boaventura, Alberto Magno Silveira (Alberto)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:04:54 -0200

Greetings All,

I am asking your assistance in order to clarify or indicate where I can
start my researches about mobility control for NGN environment. I am
considering that will be an interface between SIP Proxy and Home Agent for
Mobile IP context, but I could not find any proper information.  Also, for
location based services immerged in NGN and 3GPP2 architecture, who will
have the mobile location information? HA/FA? And how to retrieve this
location information? Using SIP - Notify Message? Now there are some
operations over IS.41, but I understand that will be used for legacy
context.

Thanks for any return,
Alberto.

---

From: "Roy, Radhika R, ALCTA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:45:48 -0500

Hi, Alberto:

I do not know whether I would be able to answer all of your questions. Let
my try to explain some steps how you perhaps can start your researching. I
believe that NGN mobility, the way you are describing, may span from the
link layer to the application layer.

1. SIP will deal with mobility in the application/call control layer. This
work has just been started. We have to see how SIP UAs and Proxies
(different types) play the role related to mobility services when standards
are completed. This work is being addressed in SIPPING WG now (not in SIMPLE
WG yet).

2. For the network layer, if mobile/cellular IP is used (people may not use
this for all cases), the HA and FA will play the role.

3. The point of attachment in the radio link layer may change and, hand-offs
will also play a role in defining addresses and media in link layer as users
move from place to place.

Again, items 1, 2, and 3 will be inter-related directly or indirectly.

I guess that the mobility works for items 3 and 2 are well matured and, you
can find your answers in those standard areas.
For item 1, kindly follow the activities in the SIPPING WG (e.g., 3GPP's
requirements).

I do believe that we have to address mobility issues for IM and Presence at
some point of time, but time is not ripe yet.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Radhika R. Roy
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Boaventura, Alberto Magno Silveira (Alberto)
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 8:05 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]; [email-masked]'
Cc: Jonathan Rosenberg; Mccann, Peter J (Pete); Hiller, Tom (Tom);
'Gonzalo Camarillo'; [email-masked]'
Subject: [Simple] Mobility control for NGN environment

Greetings All,

Thanks for any return,
Alberto.
_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Lipford, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 15:00:10 -0600

Alberto,

The specifics for NGN (All IP) in 3GPP2 are still being developed.
Specifically on Location, there are several different types of location
information (Access location - which cell site, macro access - which
network/domain, and geo-location - x/y/z coordinates) that will need to be
managed and "who" has that information may vary.

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	Boaventura, Alberto Magno Silveira (Alberto)
[mailto:[email-masked]]
		Sent:	Thursday, November 08, 2001 7:05 AM
		To:	[email-masked];
[email-masked]'; [email-masked];
[email-masked]'
		Cc:	Jonathan Rosenberg; Mccann, Peter J (Pete); Hiller,
Tom (Tom); 'Gonzalo Camarillo'; [email-masked]'
		Subject:	[mobile-ip] Mobility control for NGN
environment 

		Greetings All,

		I am asking your assistance in order to clarify or indicate
where I can
		start my researches about mobility control for NGN
environment. I am
		considering that will be an interface between SIP Proxy and
Home Agent for
		Mobile IP context, but I could not find any proper
information.  Also, for
		location based services immerged in NGN and 3GPP2
architecture, who will
		have the mobile location information? HA/FA? And how to
retrieve this
		location information? Using SIP - Notify Message? Now there
are some
		operations over IS.41, but I understand that will be used
for legacy
		context.

		Thanks for any return,
		Alberto.