Subject: RE: [Simple] Can contact-headers point to URIs that do not support SIP ?

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:56:59 -0700

> > I have developped a presence service. Now I need to integrate it
into
> > another project.
> > I would like to put an uri like: "tcp://toto:6700" as the
> > Contact-address
> > in the Contact-header.
> > However this uri points to another application that does not use
sip.
> > So i do not want to receive  sip message at this address. The
> > subscribers
> > to the presentity
> > use this contact address to run another application we have defined.

> ...

We discussed solutions of this nature in the IMPP group in 2000-2001. In
theory, it would be conceivable to send a subscription request for a
resource "sip:alice@foo", and ask that the notifications be delivered to
"blahh://example.com/bob"; the SIP proxies would be asked to route this
message to the "nearest blahh gateway." However, we never reached
agreement on this. On the contrary, there was a strong demand to use
generic URL, e.g. "im:[email-masked]", and to rely on the routing
process to eventually deliver the message using the adequate transport.

-- Christian Huitema