Subject: [Simple] 200 vs. 202

From: "Moran Tim (NET/Dallas)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 12:17:22 -0500

The Simple presence draft Section 3 states,  "Once authorized, the
presence agent sends a 202 Accepted response.".  It also states that the
PA sends an immediate  Notify message.   Section 5.7 states,  "Pending
occurs when the server cannot obtain authorization ... a pending
subscription generates a 202 Accepted response". 

For the case of pending authorization,  what is sent 200 or 202? 

Section  5.7 states that an accepted subscription generates a 200. Now
if a PA sends a 202 (and an immediate Notify) and the user later
authorizes the subscription (e.g. manually), is it to send a 200???
This doesn't make since given 2543 uses the term "final" response for
2XX and above. 

I think some of the answer is that Section 3 is in error and that a 202
is sent by a PA or a 200 but not both. If a 202 is sent, the Notify is
not sent until authorization occurs (i.e. does not have to be
immediately). If authorization can occur immediately, a 200 is sent
immediately followed by a Notify.  Am I close to right?

Relating to forked subscriptions (5.10), what happens if one of the
subscribed-to PAs can authorize and wants to send a 200? Does it instead
send a 202 and immediately send a Notify?  That is, forked-to PAs are
not allowed to send 200? I presume the PA can tell the request has been
forked.

Tim Moran