Subject: RE: [Simple] 200 vs. 202

From: "Moran Tim (NET/Dallas)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:32:48 -0500

My comments are in line.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Paul Kyzivat [ mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 8:04 AM
> To: Jonathan Rosenberg
> Cc: Moran Tim (NET/Dallas); [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Simple] 200 vs. 202
>
>
> Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
> >
> > > Relating to forked subscriptions (5.10), what happens if
> one of the
> > > subscribed-to PAs can authorize and wants to send a 200? Does
> > > it instead
> > > send a 202 and immediately send a Notify?  That is,
> forked-to PAs are
> > > not allowed to send 200? I presume the PA can tell the
> > > request has been
> > > forked.
> >
> > I don't understand the problem. Each PUA would decide
> independely on a
> > response (200, 202, 600, whatever). The presence server
> (which is acting as
> > a proxy now) takes the best response - 200 in this case -
> and passes it
> > upstream.

While 5.7 paragraph 6 indicates that the Notifier can send whatever, the
first paragraph of 5.10 states "Each of these [PA] will respond with a
202 response to the SUBSCRIBE."  The later does not imply whatever can
be sent..

Given your comments are correct, then I would suggest changing the 1st
paragraph of 5.10 so as not to restrict what can be sent by the PA
(After all - can the Notifier (PA) even tell it is a 5.7 subscribe vs. a
5.10 (forked) subscribe?). On a side note, the doc uses Notifier for
section titles wherein the text uses e.g. PA. Is this semantically
correct? Are we really intending to talk about PA Notifiers vs. other
type of Notifiers? Don't mean to be picky but I'm not sure if this is
intentional, and thus adds explicit meaning, or just loose use of
terminology.

>
> This seems a little surprising. Wouldn't a proxy normally
> pass the first
> 200 class response upstream and cancel the rest? Doing otherwise
> requires
> the proxy to treat SUBSCRIBE specially.

Seems you are both saying the same thing. I seem to recall an earlier
dialogue where it was stated that non-Invite requests are treated
differently than Invites in that only one response in sent back to the
"Subscriber" in this case.  So it would appear that the PA (with proxy
capabilities) will wait some predetermined amount of time to collect all
of the responses (or until all are received whichever comes first) and
send back the best response. If the best is a 202, then does the proxy
wait for the Notify and send the 202+Notify or just the 202 and the
Notify later? I guess I don't see the need for a 202 indicating pending
followed immediately by another message (Notify with no real status)
which adds no value.

>       Paul