Subject: Where we're at
From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 04:53:41 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks,

Just a quick summary:

- - Glenn Mansfield Keeni has the syslog-mib draft here:
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-device-mib-02.txt
and is looking for comments.

- - John Kelsey and Jon Callas have the syslog-sign draft here:
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-sign-08.txt
They are incorporating the recent set of comments into a new draft and
also looking for comments.  The IANA Considerations and the Security
Concerns sections need to be filled in.  (Anyone feel like volunteering
text? :-)

Our most recent discussions around syslog-sign include:
 - should there be two spaces after the tag field?
 - what do we need to do with the length of syslog messages?
Further comments on those subjects will be welcome.

We are going to meet at the San Francisco IETF.  It appears that we are
scheduled for 1 hour on Tuesday afternoon.  Currently the only agenda item
we have is for Glenn to review the syslog-mib ID.

Thanks,
Chris

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:51:35 -0800
From: Mike MacFaden <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Where we're at

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 04:53:41AM -0800, Chris Lonvick wrote:
>- Glenn Mansfield Keeni has the syslog-mib draft here:
>  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-device-mib-02.txt
>and is looking for comments.

fwiw...

1) One syntax error in this mib module:
smilint 0.4.1 reports one syntax error:
   syslogAllowedHostsTable : SEQUENCE OF type does not match row type
Should read as follows
syslogAllowedHostsTable OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF SyslogAllowedHostsEntry

2) For the counter objects such as syslogProcMsgsReceived,
I don't see what object one would poll to discover discontinuities.
example: ifCounterDiscontinuityTime/rfc2863
I'd like to throw out invalid samples
if a proc dies and then restarts between polls
for some syslogProcIndex. I suggest using something like

  syslogProcStartedAt
       SYNTAX      TimeStamp
       MAX-ACCESS  read-only
       STATUS      current
       DESCRIPTION
           "The time which this process was started."
       ::= { syslogProcEntry 7 }

Some implementations will set syslogProcIndex to an
underlying process id (pid), but pids might be reused.

3) I'd prefer having two objects instead of one for
syslogProcMsgsIgnored. Tracking badly formed messages versus
a configuration error should be easier for operators to debug.

4) I recommend adding REFERENCE clauses to your objects.
That way two implementations will have a higher probability of
reporting consistent results that way. See section 3.13.3 of
the document listed below.

5) syslogParamsProcDescr: is this a user definable string or
something an implementation is supposed to define?

6) syslogParamsConfFileName/syslogParamsPIDFileName:
what should be stored if the
config is loaded into memory (embedded system?). Hint: See
RMON rfc2021/1757 OwnerString for example.

7) I don't see a way to adminstratively disable/enable a given
syslog processes. (like send a SIGTSTP signal) or to report
present state of process (maybe that would be in hrSWRunTable/rfc2790?
If so, maybe need to have a foreign key object to access that table.
Also maybe a foreign key to access the udpTable or tcpConnTable

8) Please change the name from DRAFT-IETF-SYSLOG-MIB to just SYSLOG-MIB

9) Not sure how this mib module can report a failure condition if it fails
to save a config to a given file as defined in a typical syslog.conf
See section 3.11 in the document listed below.

10) I would specify if objects are modifiable when rowStatus = active
(see rfc1757 for example). See section 3.7 in the document listed below.

11) On IP routers, one often wants to set the source ip address
to use when sending via udp. Don't see how to set that here.

There might be other useful hints in Section 3 of:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-12.txt

Regards,
Mike MacFaden

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:45:22 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-syslog-sign-09.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Security Issues in Network Event Logging Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Syslog-Sign Protocol
	Author(s)	: J. Kelsey, J. Callas
	Filename	: draft-ietf-syslog-sign-09.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 2003-2-26

This document describes syslog-sign, a mechanism adding origin
authentication, message integrity, replay-resistance, message
sequencing, and detection of missing messages to syslog. Syslog-sign
provides these security features in a way that has minimal
requirements and minimal impact on existing syslog implementations.
It is possible to support syslog-sign and gain some of its security
attributes by only changing the behavior of the devices generating
syslog messages. Some additional processing of the received syslog
messages and the syslog-sign messages on the relays and collectors
may realize additional security benefits.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-sign-09.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-syslog-sign-09.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-sign-09.txt".

NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

------------------------------