Subject: [Syslog] Discuss - UDP Length

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 07:47:49 -0700 (PDT)

Discuss - UDP Length

Lars:

draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp-09, Section 65535, paragraph 0:
>    This transport mapping supports transmission of syslog messages up to
>    65535 octets in size.  This limit stems from the maximum supported
>    UDP payload of 65535 octets specified in the RFC 768 [1].

   DISCUSS: The RFC768 length field includes the UDP header, so the
   permitted payload size is 65535 minus the UDP header (and for IPv4,
   minus the IP header, because IPv4 has a 16-bit length field that also
   includes the header length.)

Proposed Resolution: Change the paragraph to

     This transport mapping supports transmission of syslog messages up to
     65535 octets minus the UDP header length.  This limit stems from the
     maximum supported UDP size of 65535 octets specified in the RFC 768
     [1].  For IPv4, the maximum payload size is 65535 octets minus the UDP
     header and minus the IP header because IPv4 has a 16-bit length field
     that also includes the header length.

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog