Subject: [Syslog] Discuss - Source Address

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 07:46:43 -0700 (PDT)

Discuss - Source Address

Lars:
draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-21, Section 5., paragraph 2:
>    If a syslog application is running on a machine
>    that has both statically and dynamically assigned addresses, then
>    that value SHOULD be from the statically assigned addresses.  As an
>    alternative, the syslog application MAY use the IP address of the
>    interface that is used to send the message.

   DISCUSS: So if a machine has only a dynamic address, it should instead
   use 127.0.0.1 in syslog messages, because that's statically assigned?
   That doesn't seem to make sense. Also, in practice, it will be
   difficult for the syslog sender to determine which addresses are
   statically or dynamically assigned (think MobileIP or even HIP).

Proposed Resolution:

The author and the chairs recommend removing this paragraph.  Any 
objection this this?

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog