Subject: [Syslog] Please Read: RFC5378 and its implications

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:00:13 -0500

IETF Chair Russ Housley has asked WG chairs to apprise their WGs about
RFC5378 and its implications to post-5378 draft submissions:

In the IETF mailing list, there is a discussion currently in progress
about the impact of RFC 5378 on revised draft submissions. Briefly,
RFC 5378 requires Contributors to grant a more expansive set of rights
than were granted by RFC 3978, and 4748. If you are submitting a
document which contains text contributed by others prior to the
publication of RFC 5378 you may need to obtain additional rights from
the copyright holders of that text in order to contribute under the
5378 terms.

The IESG and the IETF Trustees are working to resolve those issues
(see
http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/Background-to-Draft-Update-to-IETF-Trust-
Legal-Provisions.txt).

However, at present we would advise care prior to submitting any draft
which contains material derived from an RFC, draft, or mailing list
message published prior to November 10, 2008.

A more detailed description of RFC5378 implications and consideration
is available here:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg54839.html

Should you wish to discuss this further - such discussion should be
addressed to the IETF discussion mailing list (not here).(" One mail
list for the discussion seems to be the most productive way to chart a
way forward." - RussH).

The current thread (".The IETF Trustees invite your review and
commentson a proposed Work-Around to the Pre-5378 Problem") there is
focused on the short-term work-around.  (Discussion to the long-term
solution will come later) - a work-around is on the way. The
work-around should be in place to allow submissions to the San
Francisco IETF well before the normal deadlines.

SYSLOG WG status -

The four syslog WG drafts in the RFC-Ed queue have been requested to
be placed on hold until this matter is resolved by way of an early
work-around from IETF, under discussion in the IETF list.

The syslog-sign draft is in AD Evaluation. The AD is actively working
to resolve the rfc5378 issue, and his work on syslog-sign has been
delayed as a result. It would not be able to move forward much until
the rfc5378 workaround is ready.

David Harrington
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog