Subject: New XML Media Types RFC

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:02:01 -0800

An update to RFC 2376, "XML Media Types", has been developed.  This document
defines and registers the MIME types to be used when transmitting XML across
email, HTTP, and other MIME-using protocols.  Significantly, this is now a
standards-track document, so it can now be cited as a normative reference.

- Jim

-----------------
From: RFC Editor [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, 2001-01-17 15:36
To: IETF-Announce:; IETF-Announce:; @loki.ietf.org
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RFC 3023 on XML Media Types

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3023

        Title:	    XML Media Types
        Author(s):  M. Murata, S. St.Laurent, D. Kohn
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       January 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      39
        Characters: 86011
        Updates:    2376

        I-D Tag:    draft-murata-xml-09.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3023.txt

This document standardizes five new media types -- text/xml,
application/xml, text/xml-external-parsed-entity,
application/xml-external-parsed-entity, and application/xml-dtd --
for use in exchanging network entities that are related to the
Extensible Markup Language (XML).  This document also standardizes a
convention (using the suffix '+xml') for naming media types outside
of these five types when those media types represent XML MIME
(Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) entities.  XML MIME entities
are currently exchanged via the HyperText Transfer Protocol on the
World Wide Web, are an integral part of the WebDAV protocol for remote
web authoring, and are expected to have utility in many domains.

Major differences from RFC 2376 are (1) the addition of
text/xml-external-parsed-entity,
application/xml-external-parsed-entity, and application/xml-dtd, (2)
the '+xml' suffix convention (which also updates the RFC 2048
registration process), and (3) the discussion of "utf-16le" and
"utf-16be".

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.