Subject: Please help with this WebDAV dialect

From: "Gerbert Orasche" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:52:04 +0100

Dear all,

We have collected some network traces and have problems to interpret them.
Perhaps you fellow WebDavers can provide us a helping hand:

- Server response 1 adds some extra information after the XML body and does
not add a content length attribute. How should/could one handle this? What
does the "Trailer:" HTTP response attribute mean? (R1)

- Are the DAV: properties within the XML body all valid (e.g. contentclass,
nosubs, id, objectcount, isstructureddocument, uid, visiblecount and many
more) or in what IETF document can they be found? (R1 and R2)

- What does the xml: namespace have as valid properties and how are they
related to DAV? (e.g. xml:v) (R1 and R2)

- Where can we find a definition how to parse tags like <DAV:ishidden
b:dt="boolean">? (R1)

- Is it good behaviour to add so many additional namespaces, which obviously
extend the original DAV protocol definition? (R2)

- Should one mix different namespaces like in <DAV:childcount
b:dt="int">13</DAV:childcount> (R2)

Gerbert

============================================================================
Request 1 (R1):

SEARCH /TestWorkSpace/ HTTP/1.1
Content-Language: en-us
Accept-Language: en-us
Content-Length: 1007
Content-Type: text/xml
Translate: f
User-Agent: Microsoft Data Access Internet Publishing Provider DAV
Host: kern2
Connection: Keep-Alive

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<searchrequest xmlns="DAV:">
	<sql>SELECT     "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office#Description"  ,
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office#Title"  ,
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:publishing:Categories"  ,
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office#Author"  ,
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office#Keywords"  ,
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:publishing:documentstate"  ,
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:publishing:BaseDoc"  ,   "DAV:resourcetype"  ,
"DAV:isreadonly"  ,   "DAV:isroot"  ,   "DAV:ishidden"  ,
"DAV:iscollection"  ,   "DAV:displayname"  ,   "DAV:getlastmodified"  ,
"DAV:creationdate"  ,   "DAV:getcontentlength"  ,   "DAV:href"  ,
"DAV:contentclass"  ,   "DAV:getcontentlanguage"  ,
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:publishing:operationsallowed"  ,
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:publishing:IsAWorkingCopy"  ,
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:publishing:isdoclibrarycontent"  FROM scope(
'shallow traversal of "http://kern2/TestWorkSpace/"'  ) </sql>
</searchrequest>

HTTP/1.1 207 Multistatus
Content-type: text/xml
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Accept-Ranges: rows
Content-Range: rows 0-12; total=13
MS-Search-MoreRows: f
Trailer: MS-Search-HitVector, MS-Search-Status
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:31:41 GMT
MicrosoftTahoeServer: 1.0
Connection: close

<XML response see attachment response4.xml>

MS-Search-HitVector:
MS-Search-Status:

============================================================================
Request 2:

PROPFIND /TestWorkSpace HTTP/1.1
Content-Language: en-us
Accept-Language: en-us
Content-Type: text/xml
Translate: f
Depth: 0
Content-Length: 0
User-Agent: Microsoft Data Access Internet Publishing Provider DAV
Host: kern2
Connection: Keep-Alive
Authorization: NTLM
TlRMTVNTUAADAAAAGAAYAHAAAAAYABgAiAAAABIAEgBAAAAAEAAQAFIAAAAOAA4AYgAAAAAAAACg
AAAABYKBAEgAWQBQAEUAUgBXAEEAVgBFAGcAZAByAG8AcwBjAGgAbABEAFIATwBTAEMASABMAE1S
RM+hfoMHL7uQltwawXiju05yrFR9GzNT5zkk6fuFIQihILCFqGHR+zrTKaYzjU==

HTTP/1.1 207 Multi-Status
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:31:34 GMT
MicrosoftTahoeServer: 1.0
Content-Type: text/xml
Accept-Ranges: rows
MS-WebStorage: 6.0.4539
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

<XML response see attachment response1.xml>

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:54:42 -0500

> does the "Trailer:" HTTP response attribute mean? (R1)

This is a base HTTP/1.1 thing, not a DAV thing.  See RFC-2616, section 14.40.

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |The plural of mongoose is polygoose.         |
[email-masked]|                                             |
\==============================================================/

---

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:09:19 -0800

> - Are the DAV: properties within the XML body all valid (e.g.
> contentclass, nosubs, id, objectcount, isstructureddocument, uid,
visiblecount and many
> more) or in what IETF document can they be found? (R1 and R2)

These appear to all be server-defined, and hence implementation-specific
properties.  However, since there is no publically available place where
these properties are defined, it creates an interoperability problem for
you. We have an activity to create a procedure for registering new
properties, so that there will be a public repository of property
definitions. Having now personally experienced the need for such a
registration procedure, I'm hoping you'll feel motivated to contribute to
this effort.  I've been contacted by Dennis Hamilton, who is planning on
taking the lead on this activity (I'm hoping to see an I-D from him in the
near future).

> - Where can we find a definition how to parse tags like <DAV:ishidden

The ishidden property is defined in:

http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/props/draft-hopmann-collection-props-
00.txt

But, this is just an I-D, and is not normative.  In an ideal world,
Microsoft wouldn't have used the DAV: namespace for these properties until
the WG agreed.  Details on when to use the DAV: namespace should be part of
the registration procedures document.

> b:dt="int">13</DAV:childcount> (R2)

Based on my recollection, this is allowed by the XML namespaces document.

- Jim