Subject: Re: Properties, ETags and versions

From: "Jason Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 00:25:24 -0500

In response to Lisa and John's note...

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2001JanMar/0052.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2001JanMar/0055.html

I tend to agree with Lisa and John.

Just to reiterate another way...  We should probably treat GET etags as
denoting changes in the result of response to a GET.  In the case of a
live/dynamic resource... we'd still follow this rule.  Such a resource has
two URL's.  One to access the source code of the resource and another to
access the product/output of the resource.   I would suggest that each URL
treat the ETag in a way that is consistant with the GET response for that
URL.  -- I'm not sure if I want to suggest this for the getetag property
though.  Different values depending on what URL you are using?

As Lisa said... someone can make a proposal for properties that goes beyond
this. I can imagine all kinds of innovative stuff, but I would recommend
that be defered until WebDAV ver 2.

J.

------------------------------------------
Phone: 914-784-7569,   [email-masked]