Subject: FW: The prospective future of WebDAV

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:01:07 -0800

Accidentally caught by the spam filter. I've added Daniel's email address to
the accept2 list, so future emails from him will go through to the list.
He's not on the list (as far as I know), so you should include him in any
replies.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel BODEA [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2001 9:46 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Moderator Action] The prospective future of WebDAV

Good evening from Paris,

I am working on the draft of an article that will handle the future
interoperation of systems and protocols on the Internet. Concerning DAV, my
specific question is... Windows and the Office Pack are already integrating
Web Folders and WebDAV as a network based file handling system, so growing
it to a fully functional File System is the next natural step. Are there
trends or is there any incipient project sketch for the integration of DAV
as a *nix transparent file system like NFS or SMB? Should this be done, the
maturity of the DAV protocol and its spreading among the user community
could be greatly augmented.

Comment or criticise, but please make a CC to [email-masked]

Thank you,
Daniel Bodea

---

From: Clark Warner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:43:25 -0800

Indeed, Mac OS X will ship with a WebDAV client file system.  A
preliminary version shipped in Mac OS X Beta.

On Monday, March 19, 2001, at 03:01 PM, Jim Whitehead wrote:

> Accidentally caught by the spam filter. I've added Daniel's email 
> address to the accept2 list, so future emails from him will go through 
> to the list.  He's not on the list (as far as I know), so you should 
> include him in any replies.
>  
> - Jim
>  
>  
> I am working on the draft of an article that will handle the 
> future interoperation of systems and protocols on the Internet. 
> Concerning DAV, my specific question is... Windows and the Office Pack 
> are already integrating Web Folders and WebDAV as a network based file 
> handling system, so growing it to a fully functional File System is 
> the next natural step. Are there trends or is there any incipient 
> project sketch for the integration of DAV as a *nix transparent file 
> system like NFS or SMB? Should this be done, the maturity of the DAV 
> protocol and its spreading among the user community could be greatly 
> augmented.
>  

Clark H. Warner
Manager
CoreOS File Systems Engineering
[email-masked]
--------------------------------

---

From: Ian Stoba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:46:28 -0800

I'm not familiar with the details of the implementation, but Apple's iTools
product for Mac OS 9.x also appears to use WebDAV.

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:22:02 -0600

> preliminary version shipped in Mac OS X Beta.

Is it included in Darwin?

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |Rope is rope, and string is string, and never|
[email-masked]|the twine shall meet.                        |
\==============================================================/