Subject: Issue: OPTION_WITH_DEPTH

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:44:48 -0700

Originally raised in Mark D. Anderson's epic post to the WebDAV mailing
list:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/1998OctDec/0234.html

The description of this issue in this issues list is:

"Should the Depth header be usable with OPTIONS to perform a query of the
capabilities of all resources in a hierarchy?"

To me, the underlying issue is:

Do clients need to be able to query the capabilities of all resources in a
collection hierarchy in one network round trip?

- Jim

---

From: "Clemm, Geoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 09:31:28 -0400

I agree with Jason.  Until a pressing need is identified for this
feature, I would not introduce it in the next rev. of the spec.
In the versioning protocol, we have been using live properties to
reflect information that varies from resource to resource, while
using OPTIONS only for information about "capabilities of the server",
i.e. information that is the same for all resources implemented
by a given server.

Cheers,
Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Crawford [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 8:43 PM
To: Jim Whitehead
Cc: WebDAV WG
Subject: Re: Issue: OPTION_WITH_DEPTH

Since noone else has spoken up, I'll respond just to try to get discussion
going.

<<

Unless someone speaks out vigorously in favor of OPTIONS with depth header,
I suggest that we remain silent on that (to leave ourselves this option in
the future) and leave it on the issues list.