Subject: Locked resource

From: "Ying Dang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:28:19 -0400

I have a question about the LOCK method. If a resource on a server is
locked by a user and after that the server is crashed, what will happen to
the resource? How can I back it up?

Thanks.

-Ying

---

From: "Jim Amsden" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:47:25 -0400

Ying,
Such behavior is completely up to the server. It would be hard to predict
all the possible implementations. It will probably be difficult to know
what an individual server might do. The implementors might not be able to
predict the behavior either as it probably delpends on how the server
crashed, and what it was doing when it crashed.

Backups don't have anything to do with locking. How backups are done is not
specified by the WebDAV protocol. If you want to "backup" the resource
yourself, do a GET and store the resource in some other space.

Servers do need to provide some way to unlock resources when the lock owner
is not available to do so. How this is done is also server dependent.

Thanks.

-Ying