Subject: Re: Issue: ALLPROP_AND_COMPUTED

From: "Jason Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 14:03:04 -0400

<<
The issue isn't tossing allprop, but providing a warning to clients about
dealing with expensive computed properties.

Removing allprop does not solve the computed problem. Since allprop *is*
useful, then there is no reason to remove it.
I agree with Greg.  We can still have this size problem with depth one and
depth zero.  And FTP's MGET can have a similar problem and we don't hear
people complaining about that.  Are we being overly concerned?  We as
authors of the spec can't know if this is a problem in advance either.
Sometimes it will be and other times it won't be.  Let's just deal with
what a client or server can do in situations where they feel it's a
problem.

So...

Is it sufficient for a client to simply disconnect/timeout?  Should we have
an error code that the server can use if it deems a request too expensive?
Or is there some other simple approach?  Or should we defer the issue until
version 2.0 if it then looks like this truly is a problem?

J.