Subject: Issue: BIND and MKRESOURCE

From: "Adam Freeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:23:11 -0700

Hi,
I am a new subscriber to this list and have just started checking out
WebDAV.  I've been reviewing the memos for BIND and MKRESOURCE for
redirecting references.  What I would like to do with WebDAV is create a new
resource that references an original resource but with different metadata
(MKRESOURCE can be used to do this).  The problem is MKRESOURCE will make it
so that a redirect (302) is sent back to the client but I would like to send
back the original resource bits.  This is pretty much what BIND is supposed
to do except that BIND also returns back the same metadata information for
the bound uri as the original.

It makes sense to me that a DAV server could *either* send back a 302 or the
original bits given the resourcetype of the resource ... ?

I managed to hack this by creating a soft link on the server using ln -s and
then I could have different metadata for the reference than the original but
have both return the original bits.

For example,

    wh24.jpg
    wh24.ref -> wh24.jpg

where wh24.jpg and wh24.ref have different metadata on the DAV server.

Also, is the <link><src/><dst/></link> property supposed to do what I am
trying to do.  If so, I couldn't figure out how to use it properly.  I tried
placing the property in the root collection like this -->

<prop><source><link><src>http://server/wh24.jpg</src><dst>http://server/wh24
.ref</dst></link></source></prop>

but when I try to access wh24.ref on the server I get a 404.

Thanks,
Adam

---

From: "Jason Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 00:41:26 -0400

I think it's important to know your intent.   Here's just another stab in
the dark...

A given server can do this if it supports a live resource that can be used
to map to another resource behind the scenes.  You set it's source property
and it could return that content for  get request... yet it would have it's
own properties.

Of course I don't know if this fulfills your intent.

The advanced collections redirect reference probably do what you just
described, but of course they don't hide it from the client.  And I think
you said you didn't want a redirect.

So unless you're willing to do a redirect or set up a live resource on the
server, you can't do this right now.

J.

------------------------------------------
Phone: 914-784-7569,   [email-masked]