Subject: RE: Issue: XML_LANG_CLARIFY

From: "Jason Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:44:19 -0400

To be persistant, I think we all agree the xml:lang attribute can be on the
property node and doesn't have to be on a child.  Do we agree that it can
even be on the parent of the property node and still be persistant?
Should we discourage the client from doing this though?

<D:set>
 <D:prop xml:lang="NL">
   <D:displaynname>Kikkers in de koek</D:displayname>
 </D:prop>
</D:set>

------------------------------------------
Phone: 914-784-7569,   [email-masked]

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:54:16 +0200

No,

Canonical XML is very clear in that *all* attributes in the XML namespace
are inherited when XML fragments are persisted/serialized. Thus:

a) xml:lang may appear in the prop element or on any ancestor,

b) what needs to be clarified is the behaviour for *other* attributes from
the XML namespace, such as xml:space and xml:base.

See also

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2001AprJun/0102.html>

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]Im Auftrag von Jason Crawford
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 25. April 2001 21:44
An: Clemm, Geoff
Cc: WebDAV WG
Betreff: RE: Issue: XML_LANG_CLARIFY

<D:set>
 <D:prop xml:lang="NL">

---

From: Greg Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:42:15 -0700

I'm with Julian on this. The XML specification *clearly* states that
xml:lang imposes its value on all its children. That is, it is scoped. Thus,
any properties appear within a scope defined by any/all ancestors.

The prefixes defined by the xmlns: attribute are similarly behaved. We
persist those, without regard to where they may have occurred. xml:lang is
exactly the same.

We should *not* start reinterpreting the XML specifications to suit our
perceptions of how things should work. We chose XML, so we need to abide by
its rules. And one of those is that xml:lang is a scope.

Cheers,
-g

-- 
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/