Subject: WebDAV Interop. Event

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 16:34:07 -0700

WEBDAV Interoperability Testing Event
-------------------------------------

Where: Univ. of California, Santa Cruz
       Baskin Engineering Building
       Santa Cruz, California

When: July 19-20, 2001
      (set-up available the afternoon of July 18)

Who: Developers or testers of WebDAV and DeltaV
     clients and servers.

Cost: Free, though once the costs are better understood,
      I will probably request a voluntary contribution from
      those who can afford it.

How to Register: Send email to Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>.

As previously mentioned on this list, there will be an interoperability
testing event for WebDAV clients and servers.  The intent of this exercise
is to gather together, in one physical location, the developers/testers of
WebDAV/DeltaV clients and servers, to exerce as many client/server pairs as
possible. This will quickly surface interoperability problems. Once
identified, these problems can sometimes be fixed on the spot (if developers
have brought source code), or can be targeted for resolution in the Draft
Standard (i.e., revised) version of RFC 2518.

Similar interoperability events have been held in the past for Internet mail
standards, and have been very successful.  They are an extremely efficient
way to do interoperability testing against a broad array of clients/servers,
allowing problems to be quickly identified and resolved. Invariably, the net
result of an interop. event is a set of clients and servers that work
better, hence offering better value for end-users.

While many details still need to be worked out (I'll send them to the list
as they are resolved), some of the most important aspects of the event are
as follows:

* Results from the event are NOT intended for distribution to the Press.
This is not an interoperability demonstration like those sometimes held at
trade shows for marketing purposes. Instead, this is a normal part of the
*engineering* activity of creating an interoperability standard.

* Since the intended room for this event is not super-big, I request that a
maximum of two people attend per independent code base (if this seems too
restrictive, let me know).

* You will need to provide your own machines, with the client and/or server
software installed. UCSC will provide networking capabilities.

* If you're intending on participating, please let me know via email to
<[email-masked]>.

* If you're traveling from afar, you should try and get accommodations as
early as you can. Santa Cruz is a popular vacation location in the summer...

Here is a Web page giving hotels:

http://www.scccvc.org/accom/accsearch.cfm

If it's in your price range, the West Coast Santa Cruz Hotel is nice, and
most rooms have an ocean view.

http://www.westcoastsantacruz.com/
WestCoast Santa Cruz Hotel
175 West Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz, California 95060
831-426-4330 * 800-426-0670 * FAX 831-427-2025

Here's a list of Bed and Breakfast places as well.

http://santacruz.about.com/citiestowns/caus/santacruz/cs/accomscbedbreak/ind
ex.htm

- Jim