Subject: RE: Are you using lock discovery?

From: "Jason Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 19:09:02 -0400

<<
As I recall, the DAV Explorer client <http://www.ics.uci.edu/~webdav/> uses
lock discovery. I believe it's smart enough to do lock discovery if a
resource is locked, and DAV Explorer doesn't have the lock token. It then
tries the lock token on the off chance the requesting principal actually
owns the lock.
The spec deprecates that kind of client behavior for the reason that two
programs that don't know about each other might be logged on as the same
person, right?

---

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 16:22:56 -0700

> programs that don't know about each other might be logged on as the same

Not really -- an authoring program will at least know that it had to do lock
discovery to grab the lock token, and presumably would then query the user
for whether they want to grab the lock.

In the case of DAV Explorer, we felt that a user might want to undo a lock
taken out by themselves using another program as a way of either testing the
protocol (and applications), or undoing a lock after an app. had crashed.

- Jim