Subject: FW: mod_dav / webdav questions (case sensitiveness / symbolic links)

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:34:02 -0700

Accidentally caught by the spam filter. I've added
[email-masked] to the accept2 list, so future emails from
this address will go through to the list.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 11:57 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Moderator Action] mod_dav / webdav questions (case
sensitiveness / symbolic links)

Hello,

I hope this is the right forum to ask these questions, if not, please ignore
them.

At the project I'm working on at the moment we're looking into using webdav
for content uploads. We've installed a apache webserver with mod_dav on a
solaris box, which works fine (people are quite enthousiastic about it). At
the moment we've got a few
issues with the mod_dav that I can't find answers to:

- Behaviour of mod_dav with symbolic links. In the area's where we want to
manage content there are a few symbolic links. These symbolic links do show
up (and can be clicked through) with on the "normal" webserver, but when
opening the URL in a webfolder
(we're using IE5 as a dav client) the symbolic links don't show up. When I
enter the  URL of the symbolic link in the URL bar of the webfolder, the
webfolder of the symbolic link does show up. Is there a way to configure the
webserver so that symbolic
links do showup in the webfolders?

- Case sensitive / case insensitive behaviour. Some of the directories have
capital letters, like "NL", these directories show up in lowercase in IE5's
webfolder --> "nl". This means that when you click on the "nl" folder it
can't be found by the
webserver. Can this be considered to be a bug in MS IE5? At the moment we're
considering using lowercase for all content, which eliminates this issue.

Is this behaviour known and are there any ways to fix it?

Kind Regards, met vriendelijke groet,

Stefan van der Eijk

Philips Corporate/IT
Tel:    +31 40 27 83966
Building VB-B 086
Fax:   +31 40 27 83722
Boschdijk 525
Gsm: +31 6 21 580253
PO Box  90050
Email: [email-masked]                                 5600
PB Eindhoven