Subject: RE: RFC2518 (WebDAV) / RFC2396 (URI) inconsistency

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:53:29 -0800

I think it might help people to better understand the set of possible
solutions to this issue if I point out that WebDAV implementations are NOT
going to support any change that leads to a reduction in interoperability.

So, for example, any suggestion that begins, "just change WebDAV's namespace
identifier to ...." is not going to work.

Complain to me all you wish about this -- you'll just be shooting the
messenger.

- Jim

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:59:01 +0100

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Jim
> Whitehead
> Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 6:53 PM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: RFC2518 (WebDAV) / RFC2396 (URI) inconsistency
>
>
>

Of course.

So

- a new namespace name would be needed
- the old one would need to be deprecated
- interoperability of all combinations of new/old servers needs to be
investigated

In theory the revision of RFC2518 could deprecate "DAV:" in favor of
"somenewuri", right?

> Complain to me all you wish about this -- you'll just be shooting the

Whose messenger?