Subject: DASL?

From: Ilya Kirnos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 16:21:32 -0800

Sorry for the cross-post -- I suppose this should be going to just the
DASL list, but there seems to be more spam on that than actual traffic.

It seems like not much work is happening on DASL.  I haven't seen any
clients, for example, that use it.  Is this a misimpression?  Or is
there just not enough interest in it?  Or is it too hard to do?  I'd
like to be wrong about this, so please correct me if that's the case.

Thanks.

-ilya

---

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 17:36:05 -0800

Actually, I've been seeing a recent increase in interest for DASL -- there
was a fairly substantial off-list thread last week. I've encouraged people
to move discussion back on-list.

> like to be wrong about this, so please correct me if that's the case.

Unfortunately, there is currently limited client support (anyone out there
have a DASL client?). The Xythos Storage Server supports DASL on the server
side. I think this is more an indication of the lack of server support, and
this, in turn, is due to the immaturity of the specification.

I think there is a lot of interest in DASL, since it dramatically increases
the value of DAV properties.

- Jim

---

From: "Lisa Dusseault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 19:59:33 -0800

Hello,

You're probably right about the clients; there are a few known servers that
support all of DASL, but I don't know of any clients.  (If there are any,
please speak up.)

I do know clients that support the DASL framework, but the search syntax is
SQL rather than XML.

Do you think there are any problems with the specification?  Would you
support it at some point if it started moving through the standards process
again?

Lisa

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Ilya Kirnos
> Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 4:22 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: DASL?
>
>

---

From: Ilya Kirnos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 16:09:24 -0800

Lisa -

>
> Do you think there are any problems with the specification?

I've only briefly looked at the spec, will let you know once I take a closer
look.

> Would you support it at some point if it started moving through the standards
> process
> again?

We're definitely interested, but of course the lack of client support makes it
somewhat academic right now.  Hopefully that will change if/when the process
starts moving forward.

-ilya