Subject: RE: need clarification about COPY to locked resource response cod e

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:18:05 -0500

I believe a client should accept either behavior.  Section 8.8.5 explicitly
states that a 423 indicates that the destination resource was locked,
so there is no ambiguity about whether the 423 refers to the source
or the destination.

Cheers,
Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Reschke [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 7:37 AM
To: WebDAV
Subject: need clarification about COPY to locked resource response code

Hi,

when running the Litmus test suite against our server, we came across the
following problem for lock test 8 (COPY):

In this test case, a non-locked resource is copied to a locked resource
without giving the lock token in the If: header.

Litmus expects the server to return 423 LOCKED (and this is what moddav
does).

Both our server and IIS however return a 207 MULTISTATUS, and have a
response element for the *destination URI* with an 423 LOCKED status.

I think the latter is correct, because the problem isn't with the request
URI.

In the section about COPY behaviour for *collections*, RFC2518 says [1]:

"If an error in executing the COPY method occurs with a resource other than
the resource identified in the Request-URI then the response MUST be a 207
(Multi-Status)."

I think this should apply to copying non-collections as well.

Julian

[1] <http://www.greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2518.html#rfc.section.8.8.3>

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:15:10 +0100

Thanks Geoff.

Makes sense.

However, if we replace COPY by MOVE, we indeed get that ambiguity (and this
is actually mentioned in the spec). So I'd say that clients always should be
able to process  multistatus response body.

Julian

> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 2:18 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: need clarification about COPY to locked resource response
> cod e
>
>