Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-dusseault-dav-quota-01.txt

From: "Lisa Dusseault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:57:41 -0800

A new draft is now out on quota.  I've addressed a number of comments,
mostly from Jim.  Note that as a result of this review the property names
have changed.  Please review, it's not long.

Lisa

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 1:03 PM
To: IETF-Announce:
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dusseault-dav-quota-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Quota and Size Properties for DAV Collections
	Author(s)	: L. Dusseault, C. Warner
	Filename	: draft-dusseault-dav-quota-01.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 08-Jan-02

WebDAV servers are frequently deployed with collection quota (size)
limitations.  This Internet-Draft discusses the two properties and
minor behaviors needed for clients to interoperate with quota
implementations on WebDAV repositories.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dusseault-dav-quota-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dusseault-dav-quota-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dusseault-dav-quota-01.txt".

NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dusseault-dav-quota-01.txt

---

From: Erik Seaberg <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jan 2002 17:51:54 -0800

Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]> writes:

> A new draft is now out on quota.  I've addressed a number of
> comments, mostly from Jim.  Note that as a result of this review the
> property names have changed.  Please review, it's not long.

A client that wants to know how much storage is actually available in
a collection has to PROPFIND each parent up to "/" looking for the
minimum (quota-bytes - space-used-bytes) value.  That number should be
a live property, since any server enforcing quotas must be able to
produce it fairly efficiently.

It's natural to want to handle this through quotactl(2) on Unix, but
the draft says {DAV:}space-used-bytes "MUST include child collections
and all resources inside those child collections" without regard for
who created them.  Is the intent that all users MUST (or SHOULD) see
identical {DAV:}quota-bytes and {DAV:}space-used-bytes values, or may
an admin reveal quotas they've assigned to particular users?

Should a client be able to atomically reserve some of a collection's
storage so expensive requests don't have to race with others to claim
the last bytes?  It could be a header like

	Expect: 100-continue, reserve; content-length="999999"

in a large PUT for example, or a live property on a collection
allowing a reservation for several smaller resources or properties.

On style, HTTP seems to use "octets" rather than "bytes" everywhere
other than range requests.

(BTW, what's the correct charset for the draft?  0xF4 and 0xF6 octets
appear in place of a few quotation marks.)

---

From: "Stefan Eissing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:41:13 +0100

I can see how this draft is applied to servers like Sharemation
which have a separate collection hierarchy for each user. 

I have more trouble applying it to servers where it is common 
that more than one user has write access to collections. Imagine
that Sharemation has a collection containing all your user
collections. How would the quota properties appear on that
collection?

Where I see a real problem is a server supporting bindings.
Suppose I have the following hierarchy:

  - A
  |-B
  | |- b'
  |
  |-C
    |- b"

where b' and b" are bindings to the resource b. How will a server
show the quota properties on B, C and A? Will space-used-bytes
count b' and b" for B and C and will the space appear duplicate in
A?

//Stefan

> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Lisa Dusseault
> Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 8:58 PM
> To: Webdav WG
> Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-dusseault-dav-quota-01.txt
> 
>