Subject: RE: root of a lock, was HOW_TO_IDENTIFY_LOCK_OWNER

From: "Clemm, Geoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:42:04 -0500

If a client does an UNLOCK, it would be good for it to know
the set of resources that will be affected by the UNLOCK (especially
if it is an adminstrative override of a lock held by some other
principal).  This would provide that information.

Cheers,
Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Crawford [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 5:42 PM
To: Clemm, Geoff
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: root of a lock, was HOW_TO_IDENTIFY_LOCK_OWNER

> C) The root resource of a lock should be discoverable.

I don't want to distract the discussion, but why is this necessary?  Do we
have a specific reason?

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 19:34:12 +0100

Hi,

I've been trying to get the WebDAV "redirector" (UA
WebDAV-MiniRedir/5.1.2600) in Windows XP to mount our WebDAV server. I've
found three issues for which I have workarounds, however, I'm still not able
to mount from my server.

Problem #1: basic authentication seems to be broken if the redirector
*prompts* for the credentials. If you supply them on the command line:

	"net use * URI password /user:username"

it seems to work.

Problem #2: given a URI like "http://server/a/b/c", the client tries OPTIONS
and PROPFIND on "http://server/a" (which is wrong because this resource may
not be WebDAV enabled). A similar (known!) problem exists in IE's "open as
web folder", while mounting a web folder using network places behaves
correctly.

Problem #3: the URI may not contain a port number (even if it's 80!)

All these problems lead to error message 67 ("network name not found") with
absolutely no useful additional information.

After working around these issues, I can get the redirector to issue a
PROPFIND (Depth: 0) against by target URI (with correct Basic Authentication
credentials), and my server is responding with 207 (MULTISTATUS) and a
response body which seems to be just fine (and is accepted by the webfolder
client). However, I'm still getting error #67.

Did anybody else have a similar problem and knows what might be going wrong?

Julian

---

From: "Matt Timmermans" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:07:39 -0500

> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Julian Reschke
>

I found that when you enter your credentials in the dialog, XP _always_
sends the username as user@domain.  If you don't supply a domain, it'll add
your machine's name or domain. (ick)

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:16:56 +0100

OK,

we finally fingured out the WebDAV redirector was refusing to connect: it
*requires* that XML elements in the DAV: namespace use a prefix. This means,
it won't recognize

	<multistatus xmlns="DAV:" />

while

	<anyprefix:multistatus xmlns:anyprefix="DAV:" />

will work.

Sigh.

It would be really great if Microsoft would start fixing the WebDAV support
in their clients and servers.

Julian

> From: [email-masked]
> Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 7:34 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Windows XP Webdav redirector
>
>
> Hi,
>