Subject: RE: root of a lock, was HOW_TO_IDENTIFY_LOCK_OWNER

From: "Jason Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:19:50 -0500

> In addition to Geoff's answer:
> If you are an administrator trying to unlock a resource obtained by
> someone else, you have to be able to figure out which resource to
> unlock.  You can't unlock an internal member of a collection that's
> locked by a depth-inifinity lock without knowing which collection was
> actually locked.

CAN'T?

> Then you can decide whether unlocking that is the
> right thing to do.

I think this is what Geoff was saying.  He's saying it is probably
irresponsible to unlock a set of resources without knowing what resources
actually will become unlocked.

But apparently before this sentence you are saying something different
than Geoff.  Please explain.

---

From: "Jason Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:16:30 -0500

<<
If a client does an UNLOCK, it would be good for it to know
the set of resources that will be affected by the UNLOCK (especially
if it is an adminstrative override of a lock held by some other
principal).  This would provide that information.
It doesn't sound like a priority yet, but I have just put it on the
issues list.