Subject: RE: HOW_TO_IDENTIFY_LOCK_OWNER

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:42:09 -0500

From: Jason Crawford [mailto:[email-masked]]

   Julian proposes a second field for information called DAV:lockowner
   that is a child of DAV:lockinfo.  The field is authored by the
   client and simply stored unmodifed by the server.  Julian has
   defined it in such a way that it's clear what "unmodified" means.

   Old clients will write to DAV:owner only.  Not to the new field.
   New clients presumably will write to both the old deprecated
   DAV:owner and the new DAV:lockowner.

Or if they don't care about old clients that depend on DAV:owner, they
will just write to DAV:lockowner (DAV:owner was always optional, and
so should be DAV:lockowner)

   New servers will (attempt to) preserve both fields.

Yes.

   What will old servers do if they receive a lock info with the new
   DAV:lockowner field but not the old DAV:owner field?  What will old
   servers do if the client provides both?

In either case, they must ignore the DAV:lockowner field, since that
is what WebDAV requires (ignore unknown elements).

   Do some of the interop folks know how
   current "old" servers are coded?

Not me, but if they have a "bug" (i.e. they choke on unknown
fields coming in from LOCK), that shouldn't stop us from evolving
WebDAV in the way it was intended to be evolved.

Cheers,
Geoff