Subject: RFC 3253 - Versioning Extensions to WebDAV

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:57:16 -0800

The DeltaV protocol specification was released as an RFC today! RFC 3253 is
"Versioning Extensions to WebDAV", which extends RFC 2518 with capabilities
for versioning and configuration management. RFC 3253 is a Proposed
Standard, meaning it has resolved known technical tradeoffs, and is
considered a stable base for widespread implementations.

Major congratulations are due to Geoff Clemm, Jim Amsden, Tim Ellison, Chris
Kaler, and the members of the DeltaV Design Team, and the DeltaV Working
Group, for a job well done after 3.5 years of very hard work.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3253.txt

Abstract

   This document specifies a set of methods, headers, and resource types
   that define the WebDAV (Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning)
   versioning extensions to the HTTP/1.1 protocol.  WebDAV versioning
   will minimize the complexity of clients that are capable of
   interoperating with a variety of versioning repository managers, to
   facilitate widespread deployment of applications capable of utilizing
   the WebDAV Versioning services.  WebDAV versioning includes automatic
   versioning for versioning-unaware clients, version history
   management, workspace management, baseline management, activity
   management, and URL namespace versioning.

- Jim

---

From: "Yaron Y. Goland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:46:59 -0800 (PST)

Several years ago a graduate student from UCI had an idea; maybe we could
make Tim Berners-Lee's original vision of a write-able web come true. He
collected together a motley crew of academics and corporate mavericks and
started to build a standard. More years later then any of us care to
remember that graduate student's (now a professor at UCSC) original vision
of a set of standards upon which to build a write-able web has finally
come true. With RFC 2518 and RFC 3253 it is now possible to build rich,
full featured, interoperable document management products. Of course there
is more work to do. There always is. But the terms of engagement have
changed, the standards are there, the foundation is built, now it's time
to get on to the rest of the building.

The number of people who had to put in hard hours to make WebDAV a reality
is long and many of them are acknowledged in RFC 2518 and RFC 3253 but
none of us would have been able to make these contributions if it hadn't
been for the vision, persistence, generosity and level headedness of Jim
Whitehead.

So thank you Jim!

	Yaron