Subject: RE: Help me please with idisk

From: Matthieu Chevrier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:34:57 -0800

The first implementations of (WebDAV+iDisk) were using Basic authentication.
Some users expressed security concerns about exposing their passwords so
Apple must have switched to MD5-Digest (with OSX 10.1.1)

If it is indeed the case and that GoLive does not support MD5 yet (GoLive 5
didn't as far as I know) then you just can't access your iDisk using GoLive.

   Matthieu.

---

From: Jim Luther <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:32:51 -0800

>> From: Roberto Piacenza [mailto:[email-masked]]
>> Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2002 4:45 PM
>> To: [email-masked]
>> Subject: [Moderator Action] Help me please with idisk
>>
>> Hello: i wish you can help me, i need to connect to my idisk 
>> (macintosh) from adobe golive, i connect via webdav, i can see all the 
>> files in the webdav side, but when i want to upload modified files i 
>> get a lot of errors, and hothing is uploaded, apple doesn´t help me, 
>> adobe doesn´t help me, and you?
>> I need help, i wish you can, thank you, Roberto Piacenza

> didn't as far as I know) then you just can't access your iDisk using 

Apple's iDisk WebDAV servers currently challenge with both a Basic 
access WWW-Authenticate header and a Digest access WWW-Authenticate 
header and the server will accept either Basic or Digest authorizations 
from WebDAV clients. The servers were switched to allow Digest in 
addition to Basic at the same time Digest support was added to Mac OS X 
WebDAV file system (Mac OS X v10.1.1).

So, authentication isn't the problem.

The only thing that is lost between upload to the iDisk server from the 
Mac OS X file system and downloading with another client are the 
AppleDouble file which store Macintosh specific Finder metadata and the 
resource forks of files -- the AppleDouble files are hidden from non-Mac 
OS X file system clients.

Jim Luther
Apple Computer, Inc.