Subject: Re: A case for GETSRC (or other mechanism to that effect)

From: CJ Holmes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:11:02 -0800

>The source property is the only mechanism I know of that truly allows the
>Web interface to be used for authoring of the source resources of
>dynamically generated content.

Agreed.  But this is irrelevant to most users.

>Quite frankly, if a person cannot implement that in a trivial amount of time
>then I'd like to know how their Web server manages to generate the dynamic
>content in the first place.

If it is so trivial, why isn't it implemented?  It's not because the 
programmers are simply lazy.  Look at all the stuff the *is* 
implemented wrt DAV.  Even fairly hard stuff like locks and storing 
arbitrary properties is implemented.  But this one trivial thing is 
not.  The *concept* is simple, yet it remains unimplemented after 
three years.

As long as people keep insisting that it is simple, I'm going to keep 
pointing that out.

I'm thinking now that I like the DAV-Enabled field idea better than 
GETSRC, since it doesn't mess with the data model.  But I realize the 
same people will protest it for the same reasons.

cjh

--

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:29:53 +0100

> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of CJ Holmes
> Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 11:11 PM
> To: DAV
> Subject: Re: A case for GETSRC (or other mechanism to that effect)
>
>

Because it's underspecified. There's even an entry related to this on the
RFC2518 open issues list.

> As long as people keep insisting that it is simple, I'm going to keep

So will I if this fact continues to be ignored.

---

From: Joe Orton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:03:47 +0000

> not.  The *concept* is simple, yet it remains unimplemented after 

At least with mod_dav users, I think it's not been implemented yet
because you don't *need* the source property to be able to author
dynamic resources, since you can say to your users "use URL 'A' for
authoring and URL 'B' for browsing".  People may be used to that anyway:
"use this ftp:// URL for authoring, and this http:// one browsing".

Zope's DAV support does (or did) include support for the source
property, although, according to this thread, not in a useful form:

http://mailman.lyra.org/pipermail/cadaver/2001-September/000231.html

joe