Subject: RE: getlastmodified changes when?

From: "Jason Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:36:20 -0400

> So if we want to avoid confusing clients that want to interoperate
> with those implementations, we probably can at most say that
> "PROPPATCH SHOULD NOT modify the etag or modification date".

One thing to note... you added "or modification date" in to that.   I'm
going to start a seperate
thread for that with this note.   This has also been discussed in the
following thread:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2001AprJun/0138.html

and two other threads within a month of that .  The issue wasn't resolved.
I believe the
discussion was left with the suggestion that someone make a concrete
proposal.   I'm
going to make a proposal that is similar to Geoff's but worded a bit
differently.  It will
encourage a change to some servers.

"The getlastmodified property SHOULD NOT change as a result of PROPPATCH
unless that PROPPATCH also causes the GET response to change"

This is not the same as saying that it should only change upon changes to
the content
of the underlying (source) resource, but the effect will usually be the
same.  Implicit
in this proposal is the suggestion that if some of us want a property that
tells us about
property changes, we should define/spec a new property for that.

So now we have a proposal on the floor....  :-)

What do people think?

J.

------------------------------------------
Phone: 914-784-7569,   [email-masked]