Subject: Online interoperability testing

From: "Lisa Dusseault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 20:13:18 -0700

We should get some online interoperability testing going again.  I've heard
a proposal that we should do this on a one-on-one basis but do it every
month. Every month, servers and clients would partner up.  During a
specified day in the month, the client would test against its server
partner.  A week later, if any issues were found which developers were able
to resolve, the pair would test again.

The advantages of one-on-one testing are focus and availability. The client
would focus on improving interoperability with one server, and the server
technical people would be available.

First, is there support for this plan?  What days? E.g. first Wednesday of
the month for first pass, second Wednesday for second pass.  If not, should
we hold another mass online interop in June like the one held last October?

Second, can somebody take charge of organizing online interop?  Organizing a
monthly one-on-one would mean coming up with some way to pair up servers and
clients (servers advertise and clients select?) and registering/publishing
that pairing and exchanging contact info, and sending out reminder mail.

This is not intended to take the place of another face-to-face interop,
which Jim is already thinking about.  It should lead nicely into the
face-to-face interop, because at the face-to-face interop people can focus
on connecting to software they haven't already tested with.

Lisa