Subject: connect to a WebDav Share via the Web Browser

From: "Kinsella, John R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 15:06:15 -0500

My deepest apologies if this question doesn't belong on this list.  I'm
having trouble finding any resources that can help us.

I've got a question regarding implementing WebDav.  We'd like to turn WbDav
on on our file servers that will give users access to centralized storage
from a net connected computer.  Currently they gain access off-campus using
a custom FTP-in-a-browser-window solution that we developed.  We're hoping
that WebDav can replace this, but I'm having some doubts we can provide the
same functionality.  So here's the question, Is there a way or a product
that will mount (on a mac) and map (on a PC) a WebDav share by clicking on a
link in a webpage?  I know we could just provide directions for our users to
do this themselves manually, but that suggestion wasn't received very well
:-)  So I'm trying to double check and make sure that this isn't possible.
There must be some workaround to do this, since Apple does it for Mac
clients with the iDisk.   But I haven't figured out how they do that.
I'm hoping some smart folks here may have an idea or suggestion for us.
Thanks either way!

John Kinsella 
------------- 
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to teach him to hold in higher regard
those who think alike rather than those who think differently."
--Nietzsche

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 09:17:58 -0400

The following code will open a web folder on a windows-based pc (assuming
appropriate versions of IE).  The trick is to pass the appropriate string for
servername and documentpath.

Jim

<html>
     <body>
<SCRIPT Language=JavaScript>
     if (navigator.appName.substring(0,8)=="Netscape")
     {
          alert ("WebFolders can only be displayed using Microsoft Instent
Explorer 5.0 or later");
          document.locations=document.referrer;
     }
</SCRIPT>

          <style>
               .httpFolder {behavior: url(#default#httpFolder);}
          </style>
          <DIV ID="oDAV" CLASS="httpFolder"/>
          <script>
               oDAV.navigateFrame("http://servername/documentpath","_self");
          </script>
     </body>

 Internet Mail Message                                          
 Received from host:                                            

                  [email-masked]                                                                                  
                                  Sent                To:  "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>              
                                   by:        cc:     (bcc: Jim Hanna-JI/PGI)                                           
          [email-masked]        Subject:     connect to a WebDav Share via the Web Browser                
                                                                                                                        
                   05/24/2002 04:06 PM                                                                                  

John Kinsella
-------------