Subject: FW: WebDAV and Windows 2000 problems...

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 14:53:23 -0700

Accidentally caught by the spam filter.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Holman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 12:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Moderator Action] WebDAV and Windows 2000 problems...

We've got a problem with the Network connection in Windows 2000
(Professional) that was installed here recently. It's unable to fully
connect
with our WebDAV-enabled webservers.

On our new web servers we have four WebDAV realms that have been setup for
Network access.  We are able to access all realms from a MacOS X system w/
no problem from both the built-in WebDAV client and via third-party
software (Goliath 1.2).  We are also able to access all realms from
Windows 2000  via third-party software WebDrive 5.0).

 The problem is that only two of the four realms can be accessed via
 the Network Places function built into the Windows 2000 OS.   The
 realms that are inaccessible to Network Places are:

 * http://wwwxdav.gcsu.edu:8080/bus_fin/human_srvcs/human_res/
        (user/password: lallen/red)
 * http://wwwxdav.gcsu.edu:8080/acad_affairs/acad_srvcs/
        (user/password: mwilliam/blue)

 The exact error message received is: "The folder you've chosen does not
 appear to be valid.  Please choose another."    Yes, I have checked the
 folder names and the correct URL path.  These URLs are accurate.

 Because we can access these via other platforms and windows-based
 third-party software, I'm lead to believe that the source of the problem is
 either in the OS or how it was setup on our particular system.  Is there
 some aspect of the user setup in Win 2000 Professional that would prevent
 our access attempts in this exact way?  If not, your input into this
 problem would be appreciated.

 The WebDAV folders that do work under Windows 2000 (and everything else)
are:

 * http://wwwxdav.gcsu.edu:8080/student_affairs/athletics
    (username/password:  bmuller/yellow)
 * http://wwwxdav.gcsu.edu:8080/   (user/password: mmcginni/green)

 Brian Holman

 Electronic Instructional Services
 Georgia College & State University
 Milledgeville, GA

 The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
 discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny ...'
 -Isaac Asimov-