Subject: Re: WebDAV and Service Location Protocol

From: Alan Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 08:51:01 +1000

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 01:34:07PM -0800, Lisa Dusseault wrote:
> I've been looking into the problem of locating WebDAV servers on an
> intranet.  Companies that have  WebDAV servers on their net may not wish to
> have users manually configure various clients with the names of all those
> servers.  In researching this problem, I've found only one standards-based
> approach, and that's SLP.
> 
> Who would be interested in defining a WebDAV extension so that Service
> Location Protocol (SLP) clients can distinguish WebDAV servers from plain
> Web servers?  Any feedback on how this should work?  Or are there other
> options I'm ignorant of?

Hi all,

I have been off doing other things for a while, just trying to catch
up with a big backlog of WebDAV mail.

In ignorance of SLP, is UDDI an option? I am not a UDDI expert, but
my understanding is that it allows businesses to publicise services
(including the protocol). For example, GILS is trying to use it to
publicize the location of GILS (which uses the Z39.50 protocol) servers.
It seems to have a bit of momentum in the commercial world with its
relationship to SOAP.

Alan (Kent!)
-- 
Alan Kent (mailto:[email-masked], http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au/~ajk/)
Project: TeraText Technical Director, InQuirion Pty Ltd (www.inquirion.com)
Postal: Multimedia Database Systems, RMIT, GPO Box 2476V, Melbourne 3001.
Where: RMIT MDS, Bld 91, Level 3, 110 Victoria St, Carlton 3053, VIC Australia.
Phone: +61 3 9925 4114  Reception: +61 3 9925 4099  Fax: +61 3 9925 4098