Subject: RE: Can WebDav be used with Servlet/JSP based Web Application

From: "Eric Hodges" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:01:58 -0500

Yes it can.  I wrote a web component for our portal framework with JSPs using
JavaScript to provide browsing, upload, download, permission management,
property editing, etc. on a web page.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Whitehead [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 1:56 PM
To: WebDAV
Subject: FW: Can WebDav be used with Servlet/JSP based Web Application

Accidentally caught by the spam filter.
 
- Jim
-----Original Message-----
From: saad tawwab [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 11:37 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Moderator Action] Can WebDav be used with Servlet/JSP based Web
Application

Hello!! 
Please first let me explain my problem. I am Java Developer working on a Java
based Web Application. I want to provide my user with the ability to Check
In, Check Out, Add and View files i.e. I want to build a version control
system that is integrated with my web site. The usecase would be that the
user would log into my Web Site and then be able to access a page where he
will get a list of files and then he can Check-In, Check-Out, Add and View
files. 

I have heard that WebDav provides a sort of version control mechanism. Can
WebDav be integrated with a Servlet/JSP based application and allow the user
to perform the task that I have listed above. Please do reply.

Regards, 
Saad Tawwab Khan Rao 
Kaps Computing Inc.

---

From: "Lisa Dusseault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 12:19:36 -0700

MessageYou can also program WebDAV requests/responses using a Servlet
Engine.  In addition to the doGet() method, the service() method of the
servlet class must handle the WebDAV methods such as PROPFIND, PROPPATCH,
MOVE, COPY... and any DeltaV methods that you end up supporting on the
server.

One "gotcha" with servlet engines is that some WebDAV clients won't talk to
a WebDAV server unless the root directory '/' responds to the OPTIONS
requests.  So the WebDAV servlet has to take over the root of the server
address space, rather than just be mounted as something like
myserver.com/servlet/webdav.

Lisa
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Eric Hodges
  Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 12:02 PM
  To: WebDAV
  Subject: RE: Can WebDav be used with Servlet/JSP based Web Application

  Yes it can.  I wrote a web component for our portal framework with JSPs
using JavaScript to provide browsing, upload, download, permission
management, property editing, etc. on a web page.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Jim Whitehead [mailto:[email-masked]]
    Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 1:56 PM
    To: WebDAV
    Subject: FW: Can WebDav be used with Servlet/JSP based Web Application

    - Jim
    -----Original Message-----
    From: saad tawwab [mailto:[email-masked]]
    Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 11:37 PM
    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: [Moderator Action] Can WebDav be used with Servlet/JSP based
Web Application

    Hello!!
    Please first let me explain my problem. I am Java Developer working on a
Java based Web Application. I want to provide my user with the ability to
Check In, Check Out, Add and View files i.e. I want to build a version
control system that is integrated with my web site. The usecase would be
that the user would log into my Web Site and then be able to access a page
where he will get a list of files and then he can Check-In, Check-Out, Add
and View files.

    I have heard that WebDav provides a sort of version control mechanism.
Can WebDav be integrated with a Servlet/JSP based application and allow the
user to perform the task that I have listed above. Please do reply.

    Regards,
    Saad Tawwab Khan Rao
    Kaps Computing Inc.