Subject: RE: Issue: SOURCE_PROPERTY_UNDERSPECIFIED

From: "Clemm, Geoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 20:43:56 -0400

I agree with the addition of the DAV:sourcelabel element.

But I object to the use of the xlink:href attribute, instead of the
standard WebDAV DAV:href element.  I believe it is significantly more
important to maintain consistency within the WebDAV standard than it
is to be consistent with some non-WebDAV standard such as xlink.  In
particular, this breaks functionality such as is provided by the
DAV:expand-property report defined in RFC-3253, which is based on the
existence of DAV:href nodes in property values.

Cheers,
Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Crawford [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 11:32 AM
To: Julian Reschke
Cc: Jim Whitehead; Roy T. Fielding; Webdav WG (E-mail);
[email-masked]
Subject: RE: Issue: SOURCE_PROPERTY_UNDERSPECIFIED

It sounds like we're converging on a proposal that looks much like Julian's
at the bottom of the following posting...

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2001OctDec/0119.html

I have one other proposal to make.  It's based on the above proposal, but
adjusts it a bit so that we have room to
add other structured data to the source tag later if we want.   It just
creates a tag (sourcelabel) to envelop the optional? natural
language description of the source.

   <D:prop xmlns:D="DAV:" xmlns:F="http://www.foocorp.com/Project/">
     <D:source-set>
          <D:source xlink:href="http://foo.bar/src/main.c"
xlink:role="UriDescribingTheRole">
             <D:sourcelabel xml:lang="en">source file</D:sourcelabel>
          </D:source>
          <D:source xlink:href="http://foo.bar/src/main.lib"
xlink:role="UriDescribingTheRole">
             <D:sourcelabel xml:lang="en">library file</D:sourcelabel>
          </D:source>
          <D:source xlink:href="http://foo.bar/src/makefile"
xlink:role="UriDescribingTheRole">
             <D:sourcelabel xml:lang="en">makefile</D:sourcelabel>
          </D:source>
     </D:source-set>
   </D:prop>

Also please comment on how you'd express the situation where a single
source URL has multiple roles.

Thanks :-)

J

------------------------------------------
Phone: 914-784-7569,   [email-masked]

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 09:10:57 +0200

> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Clemm, Geoff
> Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 2:44 AM
> To: Webdav WG (E-mail)

Geoff,

I expected this one :-)

Pros for DAV:href syntax:

h1 - consistent with other WebDAV specs
h2 - can take advantage of DAV:expand-property report

Pros for XLink syntax:

x1 - consistent with W3C recommendations
x2 - can be processed using standard XLink aware code (for instance, in
browsers / xml based user interfaces)
x3 - provides a standard framework for the definition of rules as URIs

Thoughts:

h2: isn't really a problem. We just define a new REPORT (or extend the
existing one) to work on xlink:href elements as well. Note that xlink:href
elements may appear in other people's dead (and live) properties anyway, so
it makes sense to have a standard way to resolve them anyway. If there's
some interest in this, I'll make a proposal.

x3: I think any solution using non-XLink based syntax must define a way how
to express the role of the link. One way would be to reuse XLinks link role
URIs *without* using their syntax (which I'd consider lame :-).