Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-webdav-rfc2518bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 06:35:46 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the WWW Distributed Authoring and Versioning Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: HTTP Extensions for Distributed Authoring û WebDAV 
                          RFC2518 bis
	Author(s)	: Y. Goland et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-webdav-rfc2518bis-01.txt
	Pages		: 89
	Date		: 01-Jul-02
	
WebDAV consists of a set of methods, headers, and content-types 
ancillary to HTTP/1.1 for the management of resource properties, 
creation and management of resource collections, namespace 
manipulation, and resource locking (collision avoidance). 
RFC2518 was published in February 1998, and this draft makes only 
minor revisions mostly due to interoperability experience.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-webdav-rfc2518bis-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-webdav-rfc2518bis-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-webdav-rfc2518bis-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Robert S. Koberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 10:38:00 -0700

Hi,

Is there a simple example of how I can lock/unlock (using java 
preferably) a resource on a server?

Explantion:
I have an app (content management for client sites) that has its own 
locking system which needs to tell the webdav whether a file is locked 
or not. It also needs to read whether a resource is locked or unlocked.
----------

I also want to explain the file-system/apache structure for the app to 
see if there are any problems. All 3 views work off the same directory. 
The app has 3 views:

1. authoring or development - this is the main app accessed by 
https://myappco.com/appname/
-- using the servlet container's config to set the approot to: /sites/myapp

2. certification - a generated version of the site accessed by:
https://clientsite.myappco.com/

-- using the apache httpd.conf to set a
<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /sites/myapp/clientsite
require group clientsite_qa
</VirtualHost>

3. webdav - set to give authorized webdav access:
https://myappco.com/appname/clientsite/
-- using the apache httpd.conf to set a
<Location /myapp/clientsite>
#directives
require group clientsite_webdav
</Location>

Thanks for any help/advice,
-Rob

---

From: "Robert S. Koberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:03:15 -0700

Arrrgghhh... I found what I need in rfc2518.html, sorry for the bother.