Subject: RE: New RFC2518bis draft, property values after LOCK of unmapped URL

From: "Jason Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:03:42 -0400

<<
Section 4.2: Lock-null resources removed

Text mentions: "SHOULD default to reasonable, or reasonably blank, values
for other properties like getcontentlanguage"

I disagree: unknown properties should be treated as not being present (just
like the relevant HTTP headers), NOT as blank.

If a server creates a resource as a result of a LOCK request on an unmapped
URL,  I believe Julian is suggesting that if there is any doubt about what
the property value should be, the property should not be created rather
than set to NULL.

Julian, did I get that right?  Would you care to elaborate?   What about a
few examples?

------------------------------------------
Phone: 914-784-7569,   [email-masked]

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:47:28 +0200

I think the standard WebDAV properties MUST reflect the values of the HTTP
entity headers one would get upon HEAD or GET. So it doesn't make any sense
to require that a value must be present, if it's purely optional in HTTP.

For instance, if a server doesn't have a content-language for a resource, it
MUST NOT report it upon GET (see [1]): "If no Content-Language is specified,
the default is that the content is intended for all language audiences. This
might mean that the sender does not consider it to be specific to any
natural language, or that the sender does not know for which language it is
intended.". So: if you don't have the language, don't report it. A blank
value is an illegal language tag.

[1] http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.14.12
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Jason Crawford
  Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 10:04 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: RE: New RFC2518bis draft, property values after LOCK of unmapped
URL

  <<

  I disagree: unknown properties should be treated as not being present
(just
  like the relevant HTTP headers), NOT as blank.

  If a server creates a resource as a result of a LOCK request on an
unmapped URL, I believe Julian is suggesting that if there is any doubt
about what the property value should be, the property should not be created
rather than set to NULL.