Subject: Please review draft-ietf-webdav-acl-09

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 14:24:47 -0700

Ned, Patrik,

After five years of work, the WebDAV Working Group has completed its design
and specification work on the WebDAV Access Control Protocol, specified in
draft-ietf-webdav-acl-09 (submitted earlier today).

The WebDAV Working Group believes that the specification has resolved known
design choices, is well understood, and has sufficient interest within the
WebDAV community to be generally useful. The specification has gone through
three separate working group last call for comments periods, as well as a
substantial review process on the [email-masked] and [email-masked]
mailing lists.

At present there are two known server implementations of the protocol, and
one known client implementation (which interoperates with the server
implementations), with several additional efforts underway. One of the
server implementations has integrated with multiple user management
repositories, including an LDAP server. As a result, we have reasonable
confidence that the specification is implementable on both the client and
server side, and is capable of mapping the principals used in the
specification to principals managed by user management systems.

WebDAV WG hereby requests that you review this specification for
consideration as a Proposed Standard RFC.

- Jim Whitehead
Co-Chair, IETF WebDAV Working Group