Subject: WebDAV/DeltaV Face-to-Face Interoperability Testing Event

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 11:38:45 -0700

WebDAV/DeltaV Interoperability Testing Event
--------------------------------------------

Where: Univ. of California, Santa Cruz
       Baskin Engineering Building
       "Jack's Lounge" (same location as last year)
       Santa Cruz, California

When: September 11-13, 2002

Who: Developers or testers of WebDAV and DeltaV
     clients and servers.

Cost: Still working on this. It will be free for Open Source
     developers, and a modest fee (TBD, not to exceed USD $500) per
     organization for commercial implementors, to cover food,
     computing support, and setup costs. (But let me know if this
     fee would prevent you from attending).

How to Register: Send email to Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>.

Following up on last year's very successful interoperability testing event
attended by over 50 people, there will be a face-to-face interoperability
testing event for WebDAV/DeltaV clients and servers.  The intent of this
exercise is to gather together, in one physical location, the
developers/testers of WebDAV/DeltaV clients and servers, to exerce as many
client/server pairs as possible. This will quickly surface interoperability
problems. Once identified, these problems can sometimes be fixed on the spot
(if developers have brought source code), or can be targeted for resolution
in the Draft Standard (i.e., revised) version of RFC 2518.

Interoperability testing events are an extremely efficient way to do
interoperability testing against a broad array of clients/servers, allowing
problems to be quickly identified and resolved. Most organizations do not
have the resources to install and operate the wide range of WebDAV/DeltaV
clients and servers, and hence only test a small number of the total amount.
These events provide a way to test against a wide range of other
implementations much faster than would be possible with each organization
testing by themselves. Invariably, the net result of an interop. event is a
set of clients and servers that work better, hence offering better value for
end-users. After all, the expectation of users is that WebDAV clients and
servers "just work" with each other.

Note that this event is intended to complement the Always on-line
Interoperability Testing being organized by Jim Luther <[email-masked]>.

Some details about the event:

* Results from the event are NOT intended for distribution to the Press.
This is not an interoperability demonstration like those sometimes held at
trade shows for marketing purposes. Instead, this is a normal part of the
*engineering* activity of creating an interoperability standard.

* Since the intended room for this event is not super-big, I request that a
maximum of two people attend per independent code base (if this seems too
restrictive, let me know).

* You will need to provide your own machines, with the client and/or server
software installed. UCSC will provide networking capabilities.

* DeltaV clients and servers are encouraged to participate, as are ACL,
DASL, and Advanced Collections implementations.

* If you're intending on participating, please let me know via email to
<[email-masked]>.

* If you're traveling from afar, you should try and get accommodations as
early as you can (I will not be handling accommodations). Santa Cruz is a
popular vacation location in the summer...

Here is a Web page giving hotels:

http://www.scccvc.org/accom/accsearch.cfm

If it's in your price range, the West Coast Santa Cruz Hotel is nice, and
most rooms have an ocean view.

http://www.westcoastsantacruz.com/
WestCoast Santa Cruz Hotel
175 West Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz, California 95060
831-426-4330 * 800-426-0670 * FAX 831-427-2025

Here's a list of Bed and Breakfast places as well.

http://santacruz.about.com/citiestowns/caus/santacruz/cs/accomscbedbreak/ind
ex.htm

* Some pictures of the location:

A picture of half of the room:
http://www.webdav.org/other/baskin-commons.jpg
A picture of Baskin Engineering:
http://www.webdav.org/other/baskin-outside.jpg

* Some directions to UCSC and Baskin Engineering:
http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/general/find.html
A virtual tour of campus (QuickTime VR images):
http://www.ucsc.edu/general_info/vtour/index.html

* Pictures from last year's event:

http://www.webdav.org/other/interop/interop1.jpg
http://www.webdav.org/other/interop/interop2.jpg
http://www.webdav.org/other/interop/interop3.jpg
http://www.webdav.org/other/interop/interop4.jpg
http://www.webdav.org/other/interop/interop5.jpg
http://www.webdav.org/other/interop/interop6.jpg

- Jim