Subject: Mac OS X Client implementation issues

From: John DeSoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:15:40 -0400

Hi,

Apologies if this is not the right list for this discussion. Pointers 
greatly appreciated.

The OS X WebDAV client appears to send the same request multiple 
times (on different connections). For example, it sent "PROPFIND /" 8 
times to my WebDAV server when I first logged in. Is there any 
reasonable explanation for this? Seems like an incredible waste of 
resources for both sides. Is there anything I can set on the server 
side to prevent this? Does anyone know the appropriate place to send 
feedback to Apple on this?

Thanks very much,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

---

From: Jim Luther <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:36:13 -0700

John,

The problem you described below has already been written up and fixed 
as Bug IDs #2929972 "webdavfs uses a different socket pair for each 
transaction" and #2986553 "statfs requests that might go to the server 
should be serialized" (I noticed the first problem a couple of months 
ago and the second a few weeks ago).

However, anytime you see something you think is wrong or can be 
improved in the Mac OS X WebDAV file system, feel free to write up a 
report. The correct way to send bug reports and enhancement requests 
for any Apple product can be found at 
<http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/>. The component for WebDAV 
file system bugs is "WebDAV FS" version "X".

Thanks,

Jim Luther
Apple Computer, Inc.

On Monday, July 29, 2002, at 08:15 AM, John DeSoi wrote:

> The OS X WebDAV client appears to send the same request multiple times 
> (on different connections). For example, it sent "PROPFIND /" 8 times 
> to my WebDAV server when I first logged in. Is there any reasonable 
> explanation for this? Seems like an incredible waste of resources for 
> both sides. Is there anything I can set on the server side to prevent 
> this? Does anyone know the appropriate place to send feedback to Apple 
> on this?
>
> Thanks very much,
>
>
> John DeSoi, Ph.D.