Subject: RE: New RFC2518bis draft, MOVE vs COPY

From: "Jason Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 15:22:58 -0400

Just giving this one a new subject line to distinguish it from the
discussion that spun off and
is probably concluding...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Geoff Clemm [mailto:[email-masked]]

   From: Julian Reschke [mailto:[email-masked]]

   > From:  Lisa Dusseault

   > Section 4.5: Propertybehavior (in MOVE, COPY) removed

   Maybe MOVE and COPY need to be treated differently. If a server
   can't move a resource with it's live properties staying alive, I'd
   claim that it actually can't move the resource at all, and thus
   MOVE should fail (requiring the client to fall back to
   COPY/DELETE).

   Opinions?

I agree that MOVE and COPY need to be treated differently, and I
further agree that MOVE should fail if live properties cannot be
maintained (requiring the client to fall back to COPY/DELETE).

---

From: "Jason Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:56:42 -0400

> Maybe MOVE and COPY need to be treated differently. If a server can't
move a
> resource with it's live properties staying alive, I'd claim that it
actually
> can't move the resource at all, and thus MOVE should fail (requiring the
> client to fall back to COPY/DELETE).
>
> Opinions?

I'd like to see us try this requirement for MOVE and see how much trouble
folks have complying.   I think it will require some coordination between
resource authors and server writers to insure the authors concept of
"resource" is supportable in server's implementation of MOVE.

> > > 2) If we did, the wording "octet-by-octet" doesn't make sense
(because
> > > we're
> > > talking of property values)
> > You may be right. Do you have another suggestion?

> Just remove it. "Duplicating" a property value is well-defined, as long
as
> the "property value" is well-defined (which we're trying to fix).

I should then enhance the description of issue:COPY_LIVE_PROPS to make sure
that's the case after we define the properties well.   Hopefully we'll also
define the default behavior of unknown dead properties clearly enough so
that COPY/MOVE behavior is clear for them also. (PROP_ROUNDTRIP)

------------------------------------------
Phone: 914-784-7569,   [email-masked]