Subject: IPv6 support in WebDAV and HTTP

From: "Lisa Dusseault" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:46:56 -0400

WebDAV (RFC2518) imports its URL scheme definition from HTTP 1.1
(RFC2396).  HTTP says:

   "The host is a domain name of a network host, or its IPv4 address as
a
   set of four decimal digit groups separated by ".".  Literal IPv6
   addresses are not supported."

      hostport      = host [ ":" port ]
      host          = hostname | IPv4address

Does that mean that WebDAV *cannot* support IPv6 addresses?  Until I
started looking into this, I naively assumed that WebDAV already did
support IPv6 addresses, or could easily.

lisa

---

From: "Roy T. Fielding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:08:53 -0700

> support IPv6 addresses, or could easily.

If WebDAV imports by reference (not cut-n-paste), then its reference
is updated by the RFCs that update 2396, one of which defines the
literal IPv6 address.

....Roy