Subject: Enabling WebDAV for home folder web sites

From: Frank Lowney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:44:10 -0400

Environment: MacOS X 10.2.1 (Apache w/ Mod_DAV)

Following the Admin Guide PDF for MacOS X Server 10.2.1, I note that 
turning on the webserver  will enable BOTH a general web site 
(http://aladdin.gcsu.edu:8080) and web sites for all account holders 
(http://aladdin.gcsu.edu:8080/~flowney).  I am using port 80 in 
conjunction with QTSS so must use another port for the webserver but 
that's not relevant to my question.

My goal is to enable WebDAV realms for all users and this works fine 
on the general webserver (Library/Webserver/Documents/ ... ) but 
apparently not for home directories (Users/flowney/Sites/).  When I 
attempt to set a realm to a home directory, I get an error message as 
follows:

The folder entered for this realm is not within the site's Web folder.
Please enter or select another folder that is part of the site's Web 
folder and try saving again.

Is it that WebDAV cannot work within the context of a home folder web 
site or is it that Apple has decided not to implement WebDAV for user 
folders at this time?  Clearly, the GUI disallows this but could I 
not manually implement WebDAV for home folder web sites in some way? 
If so, please point me to any supporting documentation on how to do 
this.  We have a lot of faculty who would very much prefer to use 
WebDAV in conjunction with Dreamweaver, GoLive and FrontPage 2002.

Please CC any replies and thanks in advance for any illumination.
-- 
=====================================================================
Dr. Frank Lowney  [email-masked]
     Director, Electronic Instructional Services, a unit of the
     Office of Information and Instructional Technology,
     Professional Pages: http://www.gcsu.edu/oiit/eis/
     Personal Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
=====================================================================
We don't make instruction effective, we make effective instruction 
more accessible.

---

From: Jim Luther <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:54:52 -0700

Frank,

I suggest you take this question to the Apple Support discussions area 
at <http://discussions.info.apple.com/>. The links you want to follow 
from there to get to the BBS where the Mac OS X Server's web services 
are discussed are:

     Mac OS X Server
       Mac OS X Server 10.2
         Web Services

- Jim

On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 09:44 AM, Frank Lowney wrote:

> folders at this time?  Clearly, the GUI disallows this but could I not 
> manually implement WebDAV for home folder web sites in some way? If 
> so, please point me to any supporting documentation on how to do this. 
>  We have a lot of faculty who would very much prefer to use WebDAV in 
> conjunction with Dreamweaver, GoLive and FrontPage 2002.
>