Subject: RE: Variant Support for WebDAV

From: "Clemm, Geoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:08:02 -0400

I believe that is what the Variant draft does; in particular,
the DAV:variant-set live property contains the URLs of the variants
and the DAV:default-variant indicates which of those is the default.
I'm not quite sure about what you have in mind by a clue how to
select a variant ... they can do a PROPFIND on the various variants
and see how they differ ...

As for what is the target document, when it was stripped out of
3253, some folks thought it should be a separate draft, and others
thought it should be in the next revision of 3253.  Adding an
issue for it in the 2518 issues list would be good as well, since
it is likely to be of interest to folks that are not concerned with
versioning, and therefore might be appropriate for a follow-on
draft to 2518 (that introduces new generic authoring functionality).

Cheers,
Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Crawford [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 1:28 AM
To: Julian Reschke
Cc: Clemm, Geoff; 'Webdav WG'
Subject: RE: Variant Support for WebDAV

I don't have a lot of time to spend on this given how many discussion 
threads we have
alive right now, but just a quick comment...

Could we possibly implement this in a way that meshes with how we handle 
other
live resources?   Perhaps with the dav:source property?   It can just tell 
you at what
URL's to find the variants and optionally give clues about how the 
variants are
selected?   This might actually be a good defining use-case for the 
dav:source 
property.

Also, what is our target document for this?   Should I add an issue for 
this so that
it doesn't get lost?

J.

------------------------------------------
Phone: 914-784-7569